British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andout

Issue 5

Although it says (Top Picture) leading is Jack Geran....that sure looks like Ken McKinlay......that tell tale elbow up in the air...

Am I wrong?

Although it says (Top Picture) leading is Jack Geran....that sure looks like Ken McKinlay......that tell tale elbow up in the air...

Am I wrong?

Yup, it certainly looks like "Hurri-Ken" McKinlay, but check out the helmet peak and facemask on the previous page when Jack was riding for Oxford,...they look the same. In both photos, the zip on the right sleeve of his leathers is open,...Could Jack not afford to get it repaired?

The high, wide handlebars are similar to McKinlay's too although in the other photo on page 16 taken at Belle Vue when riding for Exeter, Jack seems to have changed his 'bars and also repaired the zip in his leathers! Ken also had white socks over his black boots and on page 16, they don't seem so white, so it must be Jack or McKinlay forgot to use Persil!

Haggis

Yup, it certainly looks like "Hurri-Ken" McKinlay, but check out the helmet peak and facemask on the previous page when Jack was riding for Oxford,...they look the same. In both photos, the zip on the right sleeve of his leathers is open,...Could Jack not afford to get it repaired?

The high, wide handlebars are similar to McKinlay's too although in the other photo on page 16 taken at Belle Vue when riding for Exeter, Jack seems to have changed his 'bars and also repaired the zip in his leathers! Ken also had white socks over his black boots and on page 16, they don't seem so white, so it must be Jack or McKinlay forgot to use Persil!

Haggis

Now that was good!!!! Well done! Did not check out the picture on Page 15....must be Jack!!

What's inside Issue 5...

JIMMY GOOCH – EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Jimmy Gooch has led an amazing life and some of the most extraordinary things he has achieved came after he completed his distinguished racing career with Wembley, Ipswich, Norwich, Oxford, Newport and Hackney. Classic Speedway headed to a remote part of coastal Essex to meet a remarkable man. Jimmy recalls the day he thumped team-mate Ove Fundin, why he stayed with Wembley when he could have gained more rides elsewhere and he names his best-ever team partner. And read why he admits he was “disgusted with himself” after his one and only World Final performance that had a heart-breaking postscript.

JACK GERAN – EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

One of the most colourful and popular Aussies to grace the British scene, Jack Geran was fortunate to avoid serious injury in a career spanning 20 years. We caught up with the Exeter Falcons legend at his Devon home, where he reminisced about his great friendship with Neil Street, his friendly rivalry with Ken McKinlay, riding in front of 70,000 at his only Wembley World Final appearance and his trophy-winning days with Oxford in the 60s.

TERRY STONE – EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Welcome to the Stone Age! He might not have polled quite as many votes as Barack Obama in the USA, but World Speedway Riders’ Association President Terry Stone is a selfless man of the speedway people. We talk to the former Rayleigh stalwart, who recalls his spells at opposite ends of the country with Glasgow, Exeter, Wolverhampton and West Ham before returning to Essex to complete his career with the Rockets.

BILL KITCHEN

We take a close look at the life and times of our Vintage Legend Bill Kitchen, the veteran former Wembley skipper who was idolised by the Empire Stadium crowd even though he never quite scaled the heights of more illustrious Lions team-mates.

Plus…

Remember those mysterious Russians who captured the fans’ imagination on their first tours to Britain in the mid-60s? And, who needed Xbox, PS3, Wii or Game Boy back in the 50s and 60s when you could have had hours of fun playing . . . Subbuteo Speedway!

We’ve another FREE Classic Speedway binder up for grabs in our latest picture competition.

http://www.retro-speedway.com/

Am I wrong?

Its Jack. I sometimes get confused between the two as they had similar styles and both used in their careers Mattingley trombone style front forks and both rode for Leicester. Also, I am not sure if the zips on the sleeves on his leathers were broken (they do look it at times, including the front cover shot) or he just preferred to race with them folded back which is evident in many action photo‘s of him, and which I'm sure Ken never did.

Another rider that tucked his sleeves back on his leathers frequently was Mike Broadbanks.

Nice edition Tony. Liked the articles on both Jack & Jimmy . (Is the picture on page 24 with Briggo ‘Miss Diane’ from Crossroads?)

Have renewed my subscription in the past few days. :)

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Nice edition Tony. Liked the articles on both Jack & Jimmy . (Is the picture on page 24 with Briggo ‘Miss Diane’ from Crossroads?)

Cheers. Indeed so, Jim. It's Susan Hanson - or, as you say, 'Miss Diane'. We've got another shot in our archives of Noel Gordon (also of Crossroads fame) about to present the trophies at Wolverhampton Speedway. I think they used to hold a Crossroads TV Trophy event at Monmore,

Is it just me or does Trevor Hedge at the bottom of this page look suspiciously like Alan Partridge! :wink:

Cheers. Indeed so, Jim. It's Susan Hanson - or, as you say, 'Miss Diane'. We've got another shot in our archives of Noel Gordon (also of Crossroads fame) about to present the trophies at Wolverhampton Speedway. I think they used to hold a Crossroads TV Trophy event at Monmore,

Yep remember those pictures and they were at Coventry as well presenting Midland Riders Championship If I remember right.

JACK GERAN – EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

One of the most colourful and popular Aussies to grace the British scene, Jack Geran was fortunate to avoid serious injury in a career spanning 20 years. We caught up with the Exeter Falcons legend at his Devon home, where he reminisced about his great friendship with Neil Street, his friendly rivalry with Ken McKinlay, riding in front of 70,000 at his only Wembley World Final appearance and his trophy-winning days with Oxford in the 60s.

Ahhh But was it included in the Intervew that when he came over with Neil Street he was initially allocated to Coventry.

:)