British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Davis

Transport - Cardiff

Which is the best way to get to the GP? As none of us (Family and mates) have never been before, we were wondering which is the best way to get there?

Car - Traffic conjestion, no-really wants to drive, and we'd probably end having to take two cars. Car parking?

Train - How close is the station to the stadium? How reliable are the trains?

Coach - Are there any places left on the coaches leaving from the Oxford area?

Any help appreciated. :approve:

Matt

Depends on where you are staying.

If you are staying in Cardiff or Newport, then the train is best. The stadium is very close. It would only take about ten minutes to walk to the farthest point.

Matt,

When I was looking last year at the train timetables, the train seemed fine getting there but I couldn't find one coming back late enough. I don't know if thats changed since last year though.

If your travelling by car get the aa road map off the net it gives you directions and tells you how long roughly it will take

We arent planning on stayin overnight..I will have a look at train timetables, as it looks most likely way of gettin there.

Thanks for those that helped :approve:

Erm, there lies the problem.

There are no trains to anywhere much beyond Newport after about 8pm. At the moment the last train to London is 2025 if i remember correctly and that won't take you direct to Oxford!

Summer timetable won't be much better either.

A couple of options could be:

1. In 2001, we drove from Coventry left the car at Newport which is just over the bridge / border in Wales, then train'd it across to Cardiff Central (15mins) the stadium as others have said is very very close to the station, thus you avoid any traffic problems in the centre of Cardiff.

2. In 2002, I ran a supporters club coach from Rugby & Coventry to Cardiff, filled it easily will probably do the same this year.

As for direct train from Oxford to Cardiff, forget it you'll never get back. They do however operate a special shuttle after the meeting back to Newport, thus Option 1 could work for you if you were to be in a car.

My suggestion though, is to look out for a suporters club coach running from Oxford.

If you do run the supporters coach from Rugby and Coventry this year, how would you go about booking it because me and my mum wanted to go on a coach.

Guest cheetahhawk

Matt,why don't you come on the supporters club coach from Oxford. :?: Not too sure of prices yet but there are still places left.Just come and find any of the committee at the start of the season with a £5 deposit for each person that wants to travel with us.

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself on the coach.We can drop you off somewhere near to your home if you wish.We usually pick up at the Plough pub in Wheatley(you can park your cars in their carpark if you want to) and near the stadium(used to be the Hartwells Ford garage at the traffic lights on the Sandy Lane junction.There isn't anywhere to park there though,which is why we advise people if they want to bring their cars to pick up the coach at Wheatley.).

Last year we got back to Oxford at about 2am.Hope this will be of help to you.

I was thinking that , CH - you ran three coaches last year , didn't you?

I should be coming down with the Aces coach :)

If you do run the supporters coach from Rugby and Coventry this year, how would you go about booking it because me and my mum wanted to go on a coach.

2 coaches in operation last year - one run from Coventry Speedway Supporters Association (COSSA), and ours from the Rugby Speedway Supporters Club (RSSC).

We picked up in Rugby, Lawford at the stadium and also Coventry City centre.

Email me at RugbySSC@aol.com if you are interested. We also put adverts in the supporters column of the programmes at Brandon.

In fact anyone from the Rugby / Coventry area who are interested please email me on the above.

Cheers Mark - yep I have a real name.

Guest cheetahhawk
I was thinking that , CH - you ran three coaches last year , didn't you?

I should be coming down with the Aces coach :)

Yes we did run three coaches from the supporters club also there was another coach/minicoach from the Oxford area which I beleive was run by track staff,so if Matt doesn't want to come with us he could try the track staff coach.They always run at least one mini bus to all Oxford away meetings or always have done in previous seasons. :)

Thanks CH..Ive been away for a few days and only just got your message! :)

Will it be ok the speak to Scorpio as i know what he looks like?

Guest cheetahhawk
Thanks CH..Ive been away for a few days and only just got your message! :)

Will it be ok the speak to Scorpio as i know what he looks like?

Yes of course it will be ok to speak to Scorpio,he doesn't bite :lol: He won't be at Stoneleigh though as he will be in Assen then,but once the season starts you will find him selling raffle tickets somewhere in the stadium.