British Speedway Forum

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on banning the sale of Alcohol at the Stadium?

Each year there seems to be more and more trouble and yesterday there was a big ruck on the top tier with stewards wading in and trying to stop iot and eject some. it carried on throughout the meeting.

Now i like a drink and i know this will set off a few people whinging but is it right that others have to put up with this?

From where i sat there were a few drunken groups trying to wind up other drunken groups and at one point the kids who were around me were getting pretty scared.

I agree with the old adage of why should the rest of us suffer because of the few, but i have been through it at footballl and it really isnt an issue these days, everybody knows the rules and thats that.

lets be honest, there is enought time for a drink in Cardiff pre meeting,

I like a drink as much as the next person and Cardiff is a social occasion but I'm also aware that I have a responsibility not to upset/annoy others when I've had a couple or ten. Sadly a few people don't know when enough is enough.

Maybe they should follow cricket's example and have family sections where alcohol is forbidden. That way people with kids can go and enjoy themselves without worrying about idiots fuelled with drink.

I think the last part of your post says it all loyal, there is plenty of drinking time before the meeting and this is when the idiots get tanked up. If people turn up drunk then they should not be allowed entry, no matter how much they paid for tickets.

I had a horrible experience yesterday. I was on the back straight, top tier, and there was about 6 polish guys behind us, god knows how many drinks they had. Anyway, to start off with they were fine.

Then the madness happened.

I felt a small drip on my back, and I thought, ok, that must have been an accident, then I went to get a drink out of my bag, and my bag was soaked, my cousins programme was soaked and out flags were drenched and covered in muck, so we couldn't wave them around.

Then they just spilt more and more all over us. My dad went and told a steward who then had a word with them, but then they took the pee and started again. At around Heat 17, they stopped.

But besides from that, I had a good day out. I just didn't at all feel comfortable getting soaked everytime one of them moved. I said to one of them: "Do you mind, I've been sat here and you have been soaking everywhere." He put his hand up to say sorry, and that it when they calmed down.

My uncle's feet were in a puddle aswell.

Disgraceful.

Adam

Edited by Adzy

Football allow the drink at the bars but you cant take the drink to your seats....seems sensible....Turn up drunk at Football they won't let you in....sensible.

The damage is done with five hours in the Pub beforehand. We also had similar experiences today and every year when we go to Copenhagen and Prague and sadly it seems the easy way out is to grin and bear it.

Bloody annoying though

Football allow the drink at the bars but you cant take the drink to your seats....seems sensible....Turn up drunk at Football they won't let you in....sensible.

The damage is done with five hours in the Pub beforehand. We also had similar experiences today and every year when we go to Copenhagen and Prague and sadly it seems the easy way out is to grin and bear it.

Bloody annoying though

Agreed Westhamboy66, we were saying the same thing that alcohol should only be able to be consumed in the bar areas not surehow much the people next to us wasted on the amount of booze they spilt over the floor.

Everyone should feel safe at any event they attend and it all had the potential to get very nasty.

I thought drink is what Cardiff is all about, speedway's biggest pee up! If peed up pirates are causing problems in the stadium of course it should be banned and those who turn up drunk not allowed entry ...................

Alcohol should only be allowed on the concourse, the amount of times i had to get up to let a large family past to get more beer was a joke, then in turn they need to pee.

The bloke was already steamed when he first got in the place and almost fell over the people sat in front of us. I also like to have a beer, but wont get off my face and ruin other peoples day out.

In his drunken state he managed to knock over his beer, soak his wifes jacket on the floor and her bag :lol: downside being, he was back up again to go get some more :mad:

Fair point Loyal. I sat in the lower tier next to a family of 4. An old family, age range between mid 30's to late 50's The old boy spent all evening drinking causing his behaviour to become more erratic as the evening progressed much to my 11 year old daughters amusement. As a parent I found this less amusing as his behaviour at times was beginning to threaten my daughters safety. At the end of the evening he was carried out, at a guess by his wife and his son in law totally legless. Even carried into the toilet!! Speedway is great family entertainment, Cardiff especially. I'm all for live and let live but it would be a great shame if the minority spoil what is a great sporting occassion which we the fans play our part in.

My entire day was practically ruined by alcohol. The amount of times that I had to get up for people that were going to the bar, and then subsequently the toilet, was ridiculous. On top of that, I had to put up with a couple of pi***d up Polish morons in front of me who kept waving their flag and standing up during races (in front of my 6 year old son) with no consideration for anybody else around them. On the train home, I had to endure abuse from drunken Polish supporters who felt that they could intimidate me and rile me into response by effing and blinding in front of my boy and constantly 'staring me out'. I know that they have air horn free zones at Cardiff, but I wish they could have Polish free zones :mad::mad::mad:

have to agree with these comments ive never seen so many drunk at cardiff. we had bags soaked and programmes ruined. dont get me wrong we had a few beers before we went in but not to the point where you start to annoy other people. what with the racing as well i might not bother again

have to agree, i had a few beers before, and one during but not to the state were i was annoying people, we had guys wondering back and forth all evening during the nite, was realy annoying, whey dont they on bottom tiers open the shuters all trhe way rouond then the piss heads can stand out there and not anouy everyone else, have alcohal free zones, there still be annoying peeps tho ( pols) only some not all :lol:

slight change in subject, meetings on sky 3 at 12 if you want to catch it. :lol:

I think the last part of your post says it all loyal, there is plenty of drinking time before the meeting and this is when the idiots get tanked up. If people turn up drunk then they should not be allowed entry, no matter how much they paid for tickets.

Agreed, but the Stewards dont seem to be under orders to stop them coming in. If they could not buy Alcohol in the Stadium then at least they would progressively sober up during the meeting not get more and more drunk.

The Poles are particulary fond of a pint or 10 but again the Stewards dont really get involved with them. Another observation yesterday is that the Poles were allowed to put huge Banners out across loads of seats. Yes i know there were plenty of spare seats but i saw people moving around the stadium looking to sit in the almost empty top tier start/finish line seats who were turffed out by Stewards for not having a ticket for that area. However there was a huge Polish flag covering about 30 seats and i`m bloody sure they never paid for them !

I have already lost my local club and speedway is in free fall again. We need to encourage kids and families into speedway, i am afraid that a lot of what i saw yesterday will do nothing to encourage families to spend an evening at the Speedway.

Let them drink beforehand and after the meeting but please dont pour it down their necks throughout.

Love the Stadium, love the event but it doesnt need the aggro caused by excessive consumption of alcohol.

The stewards are a loads of jumped up thugs. I was sat right in front of the incident and had my pint thrown out of my hand by one of them. Later on, when there was trouble right at the back, the stewards STOOD in front of a group of us while Bomber was beating Freddie and then had the cheek to grab me and tell me I was being kicked out until one of the stewards stood down the front and pointed out I'd done nothing wrong.

If the fans stand in someone way or grab people they're kicked out, how to these thugs get to do it? Surely there job is to break up fighting so nobody get injured, if pushing innocent people around to get to them is how to do it, maybe it would be better to let the fighting carry on, none of the people fighting did anything to em and I was in the middle of it, the stewards on the other hand felt the need to manhandle me (and others) when I was trying to get away.

Also agree about the suggestion of non-alcohol areas for familys and those who don't want people drinking annoying them every 5 minutes and I say that as someone who likes a drink while watching the GP but I'd like to think I don't ruined anyone else's GP as a result, I tend to stand towards the back so I'm not blocking anyone when I'm going in and out.

The stewards are a loads of jumped up thugs. I was sat right in front of the incident and had my pint thrown out of my hand by one of them. Later on, when there was trouble right at the back, the stewards STOOD in front of a group of us while Bomber was beating Freddie and then had the cheek to grab me and tell me I was being kicked out until one of the stewards stood down the front and pointed out I'd done nothing wrong.

If the fans stand in someone way or grab people they're kicked out, how to these thugs get to do it? Surely there job is to break up fighting so nobody get injured, if pushing innocent people around to get to them is how to do it, maybe it would be better to let the fighting carry on, none of the people fighting did anything to em and I was in the middle of it, the stewards on the other hand felt the need to manhandle me (and others) when I was trying to get away.

Also agree about the suggestion of non-alcohol areas for familys and those who don't want people drinking annoying them every 5 minutes and I say that as someone who likes a drink while watching the GP but I'd like to think I don't ruined anyone else's GP as a result, I tend to stand towards the back so I'm not blocking anyone when I'm going in and out.

i am not sure that they are actually aloud to physically man handle anybody, normally that would be left to the police. There were no Police in attendance as far as i could see except that one Copper who it looks like they ran outsiode and grabbed off his pushbike and that was all after the event in any case. i dont know what happend to him, he seem to dissapear again.