British Speedway Forum

in response to the original question, no, alcohol shouldn't be banned from being sold. Banning alcohol is not the main issue here, what should be discussed is the issue of responsibility. Most people are sensible but sadly, you nearly always get a section of people who just pile the drink down one after the other until they're so legless they can't even remember who they are or anything. If people actually took responsibility and looked after themselves, it wouldn't cut it out complete but hopefully/probably cut down such behaviour. People should know their limits and act accordingly, and if they can't be sensible, they should be booted out of the stadium. I wouldn't want my evening at speedway to be ruined by drunken louts and no-one should have to experience that.

The British Grand Prix is the one day of the year where citizens across the UK (no matter whether they are from Scotland, Wales, England, Northern Ireland, wherever) come together and meet new people, as well as possibly catching up with friends they don't get to see that often and go to enjoy the whole spectacle of not just the day, but the weekend away. We should be proud to be able to say we're British but sadly, the behaviour of some has knock on effects for everyone and thus, we all get generalised in the same boat.

Lovely thought but that is as far as it goes !

Look at football and Rugby.

I support Reading and go to all home games at the Madejski but i am only allowed to take soft drinks to my seat. You can buy alcohol up until kick off and from 15 mins prior to half time until the second half kicks off. Somedays i would like to take a pint to me seat whilst watching but you cant and thats that, we all know the rules and accept it.

Occasionaly i go to the same ground to watch Rugby and i can buy as much beer as i want, when i want and take it to my seat.

Whats the difference ? The only conclusion i can come up with is that you by and large get different types of people at football than you do at Rugby.

It looks like speedway attracts quite a large number of people who if you give them opportunity they will get as pissed as they can and some of those cant behave themsleves !

It would be nice Chris26 if people were responsible enough but in reallity mate it wouldnt happen.

Perhaps they should follow footballs lead.

If people actually took responsibility and looked after themselves, it wouldn't cut it out complete but hopefully/probably cut down such behaviour. People should know their limits and act accordingly, and if they can't be sensible, they should be booted out of the stadium.

Sadly this is the problem, people seem unable to , or refuse to, control themselves. As others have said, I can't understand how come alcohol is allowed into the seating areas, no football match allows this. I don't drink the stuff, but am not averse to anyone having a good time as such, maybe I'm just lucky in that the folks I know can hold their drink without spoiling it for everyone else!! Having read through this thread I think there's a couple of posts over reacting to the complaints - it isn't those people who have a responsible drink that the complaints are aimed at!

Snyper's stamp suggestion sounds good in theory, but I'm not sure the practicalities could apply eg, someone goes for drinks for him/herself and 2 mates, that means taking 3 tickets to the bar, the server stamping 3, doesn't sound much but it would be a bit time consuming.

I must admit to being a bit amused at the comments about "come on England" etc - I know it's the British GP and all that, but all the GB riders were English, and whether I, or anyone else, like it or not I expect the presentation to be partisan to the "home" nation. You're not telling me that the Poles/Danes etc. don't do the same? And I'm talking as someone who was cheering for Jason Crump!! On that note, I'm not picking on speedibee personally, as I had this perennial argument in the 80's with Halifax and Belle Vue supporters, but it's easy to say that everyone must support the Brits when Coventry had three Brits in the meeting! :lol:

Edited by Tigerblade

Right ok how about this for an idea?

each person can only get 4 alcoholic drinks while in the stadium. This wont be controlled by a stamp on the back of the persons ticket. Once this was full no more drink would be given to this person. Also all this i lost my ticket blah blah stuff wouldnt work. No ticket no drink.

Just one suggestion.

I don't drink and neither do a lot of other people so we could , and i would give our drink tickets to someone else . Crap Idea

Says the guy that thought Hans had never won a GP LMAO you really think im going to listen to anything you have to say again?

Next you will be telling me that Scott Nicholls has infact won a world title.

Why not start the GP at 10am? no one can sell alcohol at that time so everyone will be sober.

What a pointless thread. People are going to knock things over whether it be beer or juice its an accident. Maybe we can tie people to their seats next year. No toilets trips, no flag waving, no airhorns, no bar trips.

So it is an accident if they cannot stand up or put one foot infront of another when walking

Sorry just dont agree with "whether it be beer or juice its an accident"

So only drunk people knock things over? I must of been drunk this morning when i knocked my can of lynx over then eh.

Someone can be as pissed as a fart and still manage to keep their drink together whereas you get many clumsy people who are sober.

to make cardiff really fun, ... promotional complimentary shots of jagermeister and aquavit to all poles in attendance! and old guys..see how many of the power drinkers wet their trousers by halftime. anything worse than a drunk sitting next to you with the unmistakeable odour of urine and soaked trousers, while throwing up? it could be worse people, quit yer moaning! :approve:

Edited by sandman

couldnt agree more morons from edinburgh as usual

Pointless comment.

At last someone names Mr Barker! he did nothing but offend people all weekend! the lad needs to hold off on the drink if he can't hold his tongue! Must admit I would not know the other three if I tripped over them (which by all accounts I could have done :rolleyes: ) we were sat just behind and to the left of the major errrrrr "kerfuffle" after the heat 5 incident and it seemed to take only seconds for Ben Barker to launch in there!

Most of the evening we had many security and police and attendance around our area after that and they were well aware of Ben and his friends!

As for Ben Barker I will not apologise, to sit there having an argument with and elderly gentleman was a disgrace, and then to give a load of mouth to the stewards is poor especially as this guy is seen to be one of the future british prospects.

Summary -

Ben Barker isnt innocent but he certainly wasn't as bad as everyone makes out.

Maybe his reputation goes before him, however, rather than seeing Coventry fans defending him blindly for the second consecutive year, it would be nice to see them wondering what he was doing there, putting himself about when he is apparently injured. If any claims can be proven, I would like Coventry/BSPA to review his conduct and involvement with club and country. When at a Speedway event, he is representing both the club and country, is he the Joey Barton of speedway? Either way, I expect people to defend him blindly again. He has got a useful average after all :rolleyes:

Ignore him Snyper. He is trying to stir the proverbial.

Woth a crowd of over 40,000 there are bound to be one or two incidents but people do seem to be going OTT.

Spillage is always going to happen whether it be alcoholic or soft drinks given the limited room per seat.

At any sporting event you are going to get some who have had a few sherberts. That's just the way it is. You either put up with it or stay at home, same as any Saturday night in any town centre across the land.

Some people do need to be more tolerant i'm afraid.

If i want to support a Dane i will, as for your "british" rider pish im a Scotsman. They were playing "come on England" what do you want me to do get up and sing? HA seems your the idiot. Its ok for the Union flag to be waved but not for any

The sooner Scotland becomes independent the better then we can keep arseholes like you the other side of the border , and all the money we save by not having to subsidise idiots like you can be invested in our own sportsmen . of course you would have to wave a Danish flag because thers no Scottish riders for you to support . What a digrace to Edinburgh speedway you are .

Grachan i have to correct you i aint anti English. Im anti british/union. I have absolutely nothing against the English i just dont supoort them.

I've not got the Scottish chip on my shoulder in any way shape or form , but even i was getting increasingly irritated by the continual " Come on England " . It was , if i'm not mistaken , the British GP ( and i am proud to be British ) . I'm sure the Welsh people in the crowd must have felt the same as me .

Snyper has not been adverse to posting some anti-English stuff that got edited/removed. However, I have to defend Edinburgh fans here. Firstly, I do not see how Speedibee - who usually posts sensible comments - can call for Scotland's independence based on the behaviour of a few Scottish fans. I would like to see consistency, and he should call for Cornwall's independence on the grounds of Barker's behaviour??

I didn't see any bad behaviour from Edinburgh fans, but bringing nationality into it, gone too far! I also don't think people should read too much into music....again, you are over-thinking the situation! I think people should be criticising the choice of the song when riders fall off, than the "Come on England". Surely, Speedway fans should condemn that one first? I think its in bad taste, anyway.

Snyper - there is a Scot(t) in the GP.

I wouldnt restrict the drinking Topaz was just a wee suggestion

If someone wants to pay 30 40 50 quid to sit pissed then thats upto them.

I agree Snyper, if they want to piss £40 50 60 Quid down the drain they must be able to afford it, and thats entirely up to them. But providing they do not upset others in the stadium in the process!!.

If they are Drunk and start causing trouble then they should be turfed out no questions asked, simples!!. And after spending a fortune on Hotel and tickets, they may well think twice next time!!.

The problem is that people look very differently at drunk people, especially if they themselves are sober. Two people can be standing right next to the same group of drunk fans and one might think they are funny and just having a good time while the other gets uncomfortable, even if the drunks aren't aggressive. Personally I think it sounds like a great idea to have some family friendly sections that don't have access to a bar that sells alcohol, if that is possible. I haven't been at Cardiff but although I haven't seen a fight break out there are certainly plenty of drunk fans at Parken as well and beer all over the place.

As for cheering for someone from another country I don't see the problem at all. At the world cup, sure I will always cheer for Denmark. But I'm getting fed up with how it seems you have to think Nicki is a God if you are Danish. Personally I can't stand the guy, and he even races for the team in the town I grew up in. Now I love the rest of the Danish guys and would cheer for them at any GP, but when Tony was still racing I wore a TRick cap to two GP's in Parken. Speedway is a very individual sport and we are fortunate to have athletes who are, for the most part, very down to earth and open to the fans. You can easily get a pretty good idea about each rider's personality and I don't know why you should feel forced to cheer for a guy just because he is from the same country as you, if there is another you like better on or off the track.

And yes the English girl waving a Danish flag was a disgrace as well

Crikey - good job I didn't buy my Danish flag in the end then........ :rolleyes:

I don't get it.....I'm English, but what would be wrong with me waving a Danish flag? I don't only support the Brits. I support other riders regardless of their Nationality. I had a huge Union Jack which I was waving, but I would have happily waved a Danish one too alongside it. :P

I have never seen Ben Barker move so quick as he did last night!!! :rolleyes:

1st time was when he launched himself into the thick of the action, and 2nd is when the boys in blue turned up!!!! Or was he just off to the bar!!!! :shock::wink:

.....and 3rd time was when you wrote this and he sprinted to the toilet before he pi55ed himself with your bu11 sh!t lies!

Err I think you'll find the 5 "home" riders at Cardiff were all English & lets face it the only reason the GP is held in Wales is because of the size of the stadium, We all know that if BSI could get it the GP would be at Wembley

Those 5 ENGLISH riders were there representing GREAT BRITAIN! Just because they all happen to be born this side of Hadrians Wall is irelevant. If there was a Scot, Welsh or Irish man good enough then they would take their place representing GB

Maybe his reputation goes before him, however, rather than seeing Coventry fans defending him blindly for the second consecutive year, it would be nice to see them wondering what he was doing there, putting himself about when he is apparently injured. If any claims can be proven, I would like Coventry/BSPA to review his conduct and involvement with club and country. When at a Speedway event, he is representing both the club and country, is he the Joey Barton of speedway? Either way, I expect people to defend him blindly again. He has got a useful average after all :rolleyes:

I am a Coventry fan but I dont blindly defend him.

As Ben was in our hotel we spent a lot of time chatting to him and in some of those chats I found the really nice Ben Barker and I really enjoyed being in his company. But in others I found his attitude very 'ladish' and the discussions not very pleseant at all.

But Im mature enough to see past that and accept it as bravado but I most definately prefer the pleasant Ben.

As for Ben being the instigator of all things evil at Cardiff I really feel people have taken it out of context.

Many stories were coming back on the Friday and Saturday nights about riders having brawls in the wee small hours but I dont see those being mentioned. And NO I have no intention of naming anyone.

As for his injury, a broken leg (mended but not race fit) does not mean you have to stay home.

I was actually concerned for him as he got out of the cab one evening as he really struggled but I guess its muscle damage still and once he straigtened his leg and got walking then his stride became easier. But Ben does not really need defending on his injury as it is not really a relevant discussion.

And finally Ben - I wont be there on Friday so you wont be able to argue this post with me!!!! :wink::lol:

Edited by Sandie

Everyone has their favourite gp riders and are entitled to support them! :approve:
As long as you dont stand up to celebrate, cheer or look like you are enjoying yourself then yes you are entitled