Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DarrenCook

Gb World Cup Team

So the youngsters are in. You would think Scott and Rico are pensionable age. They are 30 at most with a lot of years ahead. Hancock is 39, Gollob roughly the same.

Are the Aussies, who have as much chance as us of winning the title as it's raced for in Poland, going to drop GP flop Leigh Adams because of his age just to blood a younger rider ? No, they pick there current strongest side.

In a match race Nicholls / Rico against King, Kennett, Woofy or Bridger I know who I would fancy given a fair palying field with gates. Would any of those 4 have beaten Andreas Jonnson as Scotty did on Saturday. My view is no, cos they aren't yet good enough. Performancies in the leagues prove that.

Respect to Rob Lyon for having the guts to select this controversial team (and drop his captain) but it's highly likely we will be thrashed and embarrassed at Peterborough, a track which will suit the Poles. If we win 4 heats it will be a victory. God help us in Poland if we actually make the race off.

All this is written in the hope Rob Lyon is right and I'm proved wrong

well ive seen it all now,pick a rider in King who is having a superb season :unsure::rolleyes: in place of lee richardson who is having one of his best seasons for a long while.The mind boggles what is goING on in the speedway world of GB!!

Rico might be having a good season, but against top riders he's a proven bottler ,

Yea of course he is thats why he was a world under 21 champion thats why he scored a world cup max thats why he been out top scorer in world cups that why he's been our top scorer in world cup finals thats why he's been place twice in gp's .

No doubt sweden and poland where he is yet again our top rider and he does well contain no top riders .?

I Never seen a post like yours that is so far wide of the mark total rubbish .

Yea of course he is thats why he was a world under 21 champion thats why he scored a world cup max thats why he been out top scorer in world cups that why he's been our top scorer in world cup finals thats why he's been place twice in gp's .

No doubt sweden and poland where he is yet again our top rider and he does well contain no top riders .?

I Never seen a post like yours that is so far wide of the mark total rubbish .

With respect Orion , i have seen it , and many others have , when rico is in a battle, he backs down , and gives his place up , fact. He may ride well at times, but not not consistent enough against the top boys

Perhaps people should actually give King a fair crack before knocking him, esp you all of people SS. It's that sort of typical atttitude that people like you display that give an aura that you want him (King) to fail so you can gloat. Fact of the matter is, you've not seen Danny ride week in, week out this season where as I've been to most home meetings at Ipswich this season and Danny has been outstanding, our most consistent rider.

Obviously everyone is going to have differing opinions on team selection and no matter who Lyon picked he would be wrong in a lot of peoples eyes, mine included.

I can kind of understand people talking about blooding youngsters but surely only if they are good enough. In my opinion, the only youngster we have that has a decent chance of becoming a top rider is Tai. I fear that putting in all of the youngsters is change for the sake of change and we could well see thier confidence take a good battering in the World Cup. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

So is Chris Harris the new captain of GB :wink:

It would certainly make sense for the British number 1 to be captain wouldnt it :wink:

With respect Orion , i have seen it , and many others have , when rico is in a battle, he backs down , and gives his place up , fact. He may ride well at times, but not not consistent enough against the top boys

So how can his average so high in sweden in poland ? he does it week in week out .

If thats not conisistent i don't no what is .

If your going to say somethink back it up with some facts .

Ahhh, but that would go against the unwritten rules of the BSF :lol:

Good call leaving Scott out imo, but Rico really should have been in. He's clearly getting back to his very best and should definately be in if we scrape past Slovenia into the playoffs in Poland

Brave choice by Lyon,you cant please all the people all the time.

But lets face it we are not going to win the bloody thing so lets give the kids a chance. :neutral:

No issue with Nicholls being left out but Rico's omission is a shocking decision.

So how can his average so high in sweden in poland ? he does it week in week out .

If thats not conisistent i don't no what is .

I'm not saying he's riding bad , all i'm saying is that when push comes to shove he backs off, statistics for that are hard to come by. If he gates , he wins his fair share , but buckles under a challenge . Thats all i'm trying to say. I'd rather see out and out battlers riding for team GB rather than someone who always appears not to give a toss for anyone apart from himself

Rob Lyon's choice did rather suprise me - after all, he said on Saturday that he would pick riders in form, and he missed out Rico. I personally would have put Rico in and not included Danny King - but then again, what do I know? I'm not the Team GB manager....

I think it will be an interesting round at Peterborough, but I'm not certain such a young team will set the world alight. Not against the oppostion we have, anyway. Perhaps he is banking on them securing third and a place in the run-off. In getting to the run-off, we have a chance to tryout bikes etc. at Lezno - it's like an extra practice. I know it didn't work out for us doing that last year, but you never know.

esp you all of people SS. It's that sort of typical atttitude that people like you display that give an aura that you want him (King) to fail so you can gloat.

My opinion is Steve doesn't only want King to fail he wants Rob Lyon to fail as Rossiter was his preferred choice

Ahhh, but that would go against the unwritten rules of the BSF :lol:

Good call leaving Scott out imo, but Rico really should have been in. He's clearly getting back to his very best and should definately be in if we scrape past Slovenia into the playoffs in Poland

I cant understand the thinking of Rico should be in but not Scott - Do you honestly beleive that at this moment in time there are 5 british riders better than Scott Nicholls? IMO the best 4 brits at the moment are Bomber,Scotty,Tai and Rico next best is probably Eddie but maybe not around peterborough - yes these guys (well Rico ,Scott and Bomber) have had there chance to impress in the past and have maybe failed but the fact of the matter is they are still the best we have at this moment in time. The building for the future thing is also a double edged sword, if these youngsters come in and fail badly there confidence could take such a knock that it takes a long time to recover. Im british and im proud and whoever pulls on the race jacket i will support 100 per cent and i really hope these kids do the buisness but i just think a clanger has been dropped.