British Speedway Forum
Guest Ashie Smashy

Backtrack Question

Backtrack is a fantastic magazine. I"m not old enough to know the era personally. However the history of the sport intrigues me. More stuff about defunct tracks would be great. I don't want the quizes back, I can't answer any of them. I subscribe to backtrack to learn stuff, not to be tested on stuff that was before my time.

Keep up the good work Tony. Every two months your magazine brightens up my day and makes my girlfriend roll her eyes and say something derogatory to me. It normally ends with the word nerd or geek after something along the lines of "what did I ever see in you" type statement. In the two months between issues we get on just fine. :rolleyes:

Backtrack is a fantastic magazine. I"m not old enough to know the era personally. However the history of the sport intrigues me. More stuff about defunct tracks would be great. I don't want the quizes back, I can't answer any of them. I subscribe to backtrack to learn stuff, not to be tested on stuff that was before my time.

Keep up the good work Tony. Every two months your magazine brightens up my day and makes my girlfriend roll her eyes and say something derogatory to me. It normally ends with the word nerd or geek after something along the lines of "what did I ever see in you" type statement. In the two months between issues we get on just fine. :rolleyes:

CLASSIC!! :lol::lol::lol:

Guest Ashie Smashy
I'll not allow the negative feedback of a few posters on here to dampen my enthusiasm for producing what clearly appeals to the thousands who do continue to support us.

Hi TMC,

I really hope you don't count my original suggestion to be negative, it was not meant that way at all, merely a constructive suggestion which you have reviewed and upon reflection decided not to go that way which is fine. But my suggestion was not negative at all.

I understood that Tony wanted genuine opinions rather than the sycophantic replies of Ian Martin, Richard Tyrell etc.

Clearly I was wrong, but I fail to see the point of asking for opinion if in reality you only want to hear that the whole world thinks the mag is great.

The magazine quality is excellent and the price is more than reasonable, I just felt the content may be lacking slightly due to its restricted era and in its current format the bottom of the barrell will soon be reached

I really hope you don't count my original suggestion to be negative, it was not meant that way at all, merely a constructive suggestion which you have reviewed and upon reflection decided not to go that way which is fine. But my suggestion was not negative at all.

Yours was a fair question - not a negastive one. I wasn't referring to you!

I understood that Tony wanted genuine opinions rather than the sycophantic replies of Ian Martin, Richard Tyrell etc.

Clearly I was wrong, but I fail to see the point of asking for opinion if in reality you only want to hear that the whole world thinks the mag is great.

The magazine quality is excellent and the price is more than reasonable, I just felt the content may be lacking slightly due to its restricted era and in its current format the bottom of the barrell will soon be reached

I do welcome genuine opinions - good or bad - and you are, of course, entitled to yours, just as everyone else is. Doesn't mean that I will agree with it, though! Just think you are completely wrong with your 'bottom of the barrel' style comments because there is still a great deal of ground for us to cover within our existing timescale of 1970-90, without the need to extend it.

You mention your interest in defunct tracks. Hopefully, if you decide to buy the latest issue, you will particularly enjoy the start of our new Bob Radford's Travels feature, where he reviews the venues he visited during the period. Martin Neal has also visited and photographed all eight past and present venues of Glasgow Speedway as part of our Scottish special.

We've appointed two new star name columnists in Malcolm Simmons and Bruce Penhall. Simmo, as expected, has plenty of very forthright things to say about the state of speedway today compared to his time. Bruce will be dealing with his feud with Kenny Carter in his second column.

I wouldn't describe those you have mentioned as sychophantic. They happen to like Backtrack and have simply said so as their kind way of supporting and endorsing what we try to do. It's always nice to hear that we are appreciated and makes it all worthwhile.

I rather resent the fact that I have been called a sycophant - since when was being HONEST being sycophantic. I give my OPINIONS and my (RE)VIEWS as I see them - if I dislike something - more often than not I won't comment for fear of hurting the person concerned. However if something good comes along like Classic Speedway and BackTrack that I regard as being EXCELLENT I will say so - not to be sycophantic but to give others a chance to enjoy a couple of SUPER Magazines. If that IS sycophantic - then I am I suppose a sycophant - however - I suggest you look up the definition before you accuse people of being something they are not. :angry:

I rather resent the fact that I have been called a sycophant - since when was being HONEST being sycophantic. I give my OPINIONS and my (RE)VIEWS as I see them - if I dislike something - more often than not I won't comment for fear of hurting the person concerned. However if something good comes along like Classic Speedway and BackTrack that I regard as being EXCELLENT I will say so - not to be sycophantic but to give others a chance to enjoy a couple of SUPER Magazines. If that IS sycophantic - then I am I suppose a sycophant - however - I suggest you look up the definition before you accuse people of being something they are not. :angry:

I'm guessing that this a bad thing to be!! Ignorance can be bliss!!

I'm guessing that this a bad thing to be!! Ignorance can be bliss!!

Not GREAT. :lol::lol::lol: