British Speedway Forum
speedyguy

Sunday Amateur Dirt Track League

The league ran in 1938 but fixtures were never completed. Eastbourne won the most matches so were 'declared' as champions. Other teams in the league were Rye House, Dagenham, Romford and Smallford.

Reserach is underway on http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway where basic teams for Eastbourne and Rye House and a few known results are given. Any more help in regard to the league, complete teams, and points scorers would be appreciated at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

The league ran in 1938 but fixtures were never completed. Eastbourne won the most matches so were 'declared' as champions. Other teams in the league were Rye House, Dagenham, Romford and Smallford.

Reserach is underway on http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway where basic teams for Eastbourne and Rye House and a few known results are given. Any more help in regard to the league, complete teams, and points scorers would be appreciated at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Were High Beech not also involved ?

Both Dagenham & Romford rode out of the Dagenham track...: which stood a stone's throw from where I know live on Ripple Road...

Both Dagenham & Romford rode out of the Dagenham track...: which stood a stone's throw from where I know live on Ripple Road...

Thanks. Do you have the team squads for either side please?

Thanks. Do you have the team squads for either side please?

Homes of British Speedway mentions that 2 riders were killed during training sessions that season at dagenham.Harry Rogers and David Jackson.Presumably home riders?

Homes of British Speedway mentions that 2 riders were killed during training sessions that season at dagenham.Harry Rogers and David Jackson.Presumably home riders?

I have been told that Frank Hodgson was Dagenham's captain and that Alvin 'Spike' Rhiando could also have been in the Daggers team squad.

The full results of the league (after extensive research at the Newspaper Library, Colindale) are as follows:

Dagenham 39 Eastbourne 44

Dagenham 39 Easbourne 43

Dagenham 44 Romford 39

Dagenham 56 Romford 26

Dagenham 26 Rye House 56

Dagenham 49 Smallford 33

Eastbourne 57 Dagenham 27

Eastbourne 44 Dagenham 39

Eastbourne 53 Romford 23

Eastbourne 56 Rye House 27

Eastbourne 46 Rye House 34

Eastbourne 55 Smallford 28

Eastbourne 51 Smallford 32

Romford 40 Dagenham 43

Romford 46 Eastbourne 33

Romford 26 Rye House 56

Romford 40 Smallford 42

Rye House 29 Eastbourne 52

Rye House 44 Smallford 39

Smallford 55 Eastbourne 27

Smallford 51 Rye House 33

The rest of the matches were not run and the league was never completed.

Dagenham's leading riders in the league were Frank Hodgson (captain), Jim Baylais, Crusty Pye and Nobby Stock. Jack Tidbury was Romford' star rider. The Smallford team was Doug Wells (captain), Archie Windmill, Ken Tidbury, Percy Brine, Dick Geary, Charlie Appleby, Steve Bullivant, Harry Bower, Bob Wells and Cyril Brine.

Dagenham 56 Romford 26

Romford 40 Dagenham 43

What I would give now for Speedway matches between teams from these two towns... :approve:

I notice Dagenham never took on Rye House away. Perhaps it was always cloudy first thing in the morning... :rolleyes::wink:

The full results of the league (after extensive research at the Newspaper Library, Colindale) are as follows:

Dagenham 39 Eastbourne 44

Dagenham 39 Easbourne 43

Dagenham 44 Romford 39

Dagenham 56 Romford 26

Dagenham 26 Rye House 56

Dagenham 49 Smallford 33

Eastbourne 57 Dagenham 27

Eastbourne 44 Dagenham 39

Eastbourne 53 Romford 23

Eastbourne 56 Rye House 27

Eastbourne 46 Rye House 34

Eastbourne 55 Smallford 28

Eastbourne 51 Smallford 32

Romford 40 Dagenham 43

Romford 46 Eastbourne 33

Romford 26 Rye House 56

Romford 40 Smallford 42

Rye House 29 Eastbourne 52

Rye House 44 Smallford 39

Smallford 55 Eastbourne 27

Smallford 51 Rye House 33

The rest of the matches were not run and the league was never completed.

Dagenham's leading riders in the league were Frank Hodgson (captain), Jim Baylais, Crusty Pye and Nobby Stock. Jack Tidbury was Romford' star rider. The Smallford team was Doug Wells (captain), Archie Windmill, Ken Tidbury, Percy Brine, Dick Geary, Charlie Appleby, Steve Bullivant, Harry Bower, Bob Wells and Cyril Brine.

Many thanks for this. Great stuff on a near forgotten era.

What I would give now for Speedway matches between teams from these two towns... :approve:

I notice Dagenham never took on Rye House away. Perhaps it was always cloudy first thing in the morning... :rolleyes::wink:

Rye House entered the league late in the season and Dagenham/Romford withdrew when Dagenham shut down for a while towards the end of the season. Dagenham's closure was the main reason the league was never completed.

Did Roy Duke ride in this league for Dagenham - I believe he was the track record holder, can anyone confirm?

I'm not sure if he rode in the league in 1938. In 1936 however, Arthur Warwick set up a training school at Dagenham and instituted a Silver Cup for the best novice of the season. This was raced for every week with points being accumulated each week. Roy Duke came second to Frank Hodgson in this.

In 1939, the Speedway News published a list of riders who had been "discovered" at Dagenham. He does not feature on that list, which was:

Frank Hodgson, Doug Wells, Jim Baylais, Nobby Stock, Malcolm Craven, Alan Smith, Eric French, Dick Harris, Crusty Pye, Dick Geary, Aussie Powell, Ernie Pawson, Fred Tuck, Jim Boyd, Alf Kain, Benny King, Alex Gray and George Craig.

In 1939, the Speedway News published a list of riders who had been "discovered" at Dagenham. He does not feature on that list, which was:

Frank Hodgson, Doug Wells, Jim Baylais, Nobby Stock, Malcolm Craven, Alan Smith, Eric French, Dick Harris, Crusty Pye, Dick Geary, Aussie Powell, Ernie Pawson, Fred Tuck, Jim Boyd, Alf Kain, Benny King, Alex Gray and George Craig.

I wonder if that is Alf Kaines who went on to ride for Southampton post-war.