Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Undercover Elephant

Thoughts On Tai Woffenden Wearing An Aussie Shirt In The Pits

But i think individual meetings are slightly different.You can be a representative or more correctly nominated by any nation.Look at Theo Pijper he is now nominated by France i think.Shane Colvin by Belgium i think in FIM meetings.Laguta was nominated by Latvia for their GP,which got up the Russian federations nose.......But to ride for a national team you have to actually hold the nationality of that team.So it might be that representation in individual meetings doesn't count.Which is why i didn't mention Holta on purpose.But i have no idea if there is a ruling in speedway.I think there might be one in football introduced though :unsure: but then in football they only have team,not individual events

Holta represented Norway in the 1995 World Cup Final (the old 3 man formula). When he rode for Poland in the 2005 Final he became the first to ride for 2 countries.

I must be honest and say that initially I was a bit shocked to see Tai wearing an Aussie shirt in the pits on Sunday and my first thoughts were 'OMG the forum will be full of this later'. However, thinking about it, does it really matter and also the guy was brought up in Australia, so these guys were probably his idols. At the end of the day, Tai has chosen to ride for Team GB and really that is all that matters. He had a choice, he chose us, for that I am pleased.

Holta represented Norway in the 1995 World Cup Final (the old 3 man formula). When he rode for Poland in the 2005 Final he became the first to ride for 2 countries.

Thanks for that.Seems to prove there isn't a ruling,unless it was introduced after Ferjan rode for Hungary.But surely Ivan Mauger for instance rode for GB and New Zealand back in the 70s.......

If he wants to be an Aussie then he can Piss Off and be one.

Thanks for that.Seems to prove there isn't a ruling,unless it was introduced after Ferjan rode for Hungary.But surely Ivan Mauger for instance rode for GB and New Zealand back in the 70s.......

Wasn't that to do with the fact NZ didn't actually have a speedway team and once they did Mauger reverted back to NZ or am I making that up? I'm not as old as you cuz!! :wink:

For goodness sake, get a life. :rolleyes:

What harm was Tai possibly doing? :blink:

All the best

Rob

Undoing Rob Lyons work on team ethos possibly?

No wonder speedway doesn't get any proper national media coverage,

No harm at all to me Rob, but you seem a guy with his head screwed on,

I've know doubt this will come back and bite Tai on the bum, things like that do.

Regards to all, Alan.

Wasn't that to do with the fact NZ didn't actually have a speedway team and once they did Mauger reverted back to NZ or am I making that up? I'm not as old as you cuz!! :wink:

No you are right............. :cry::lol:

and an aussie flag tattoo on his back :rolleyes:

I hear he enjoys a Ruby Murray... so are we going to cause a fuss over his Japanese flag.... :wink:

I suppose people who wear uniforms, working for foreign companies are traitors as well are they??? Tai probably gained fantastic experience from yesterday and if it benefits GB in the future then he can wear what the f*** he likes as far as I care.

BFD, I think Tai has said in a couple of interviews that as both of his parents are British, he's already made his choice, and it's to ride for Britain. But at the same time, he has a lot of Australian friends.

I don't see what the fuss is all about him wearing an Aussie T-Shirt - I've got a Polish hat somewhere. :wink:

Incidentally, have you still got back in time for Belle Vue tonight? And have a good journey back to Aussie mate.

All the best

Rob

I've got a Polish hat too! :lol:

Davey Watt rode well tonight BTW, but he's an Aussie so I'm sure that'll cheese off the xenophobic refugees from the BNP on here! :approve:

Not 100% sure on this (Kevin Meynell will know) but I think a rider represent the country of the body that issues his racing license in individual world championship events, when Ivan rode under the GB guise New Zealand were not represented at FIM level and came under the jurisdiction of our own ACU.

For World Team Cup events a rider rides for the country that issues his passport.

If he wants to be an Aussie then he can Piss Off and be one.

But thats the whole point HE DOSEN'T.

Or didn't, lord knows what he thinks now. Transport him back to Aus for the hynus crime of helping a friend and gaining the very experience people have been saying British riders have needed for years.

Edited by newbieoldboy

Yes But none of us on here, talking fans BTW, 'Represent' GB, then wear an opponents shirt just 2 days later, we were lead to believe that those riders that just missed out were gutted, distraught call it what you will. If Australia just missed out would any Australian wear a GB shirt? Remember Paul Ince when playing for West Ham Utd, went and had a picture taken with a Manchester United shirt on because that's who he wanted to play for. West Ham fans if I remember wern't pleased, neither were the West Ham management, I wonder what one of the many media publicists would have said to Tai, if you play the media game re sponsorship etc, you play the media game and have to be aware that things get seen and reported.

Regards to all, Alan.

What about the likes of Mark Viduka and Christian Vieri who openly support their dual countries but play for just one of them?

Not 100% sure on this (Kevin Meynell will know) but I think a rider represent the country of the body that issues his racing license in individual world championship events, when Ivan rode under the GB guise New Zealand were not represented at FIM level and came under the jurisdiction of our own ACU.

For World Team Cup events a rider rides for the country that issues his passport.

That is correct.

But still.....Ivan is surely the only rider to win an FIM Gold medal for 2 different countries :unsure:

This thread is so pathetic. How many British speedway supporters have been to a big individual meeting with British riders taking part only to support a foreign rider who rides for their club. I was lucky enough to experience Wembley back in the 70's and early 80's and there was always massive support for the Americans and Danes from British supporters who happened to support the clubs those riders rode for.

I am British through and through, I will always support a British rider over a foreign rider, but what Tai did on Sunday was not on the track and was not whilst Team GB were still riding. Therefore it has no relevance to Team GB.

At the end of the day Tai earns his living in Speedway and lets face it the window of opportunity is not that big and he needs to earn money full stop. If Tai wins a big event in the future and claims the success to be down to experiences gained from helping Team Aus, or any other team, will you all slag him off again or will you celebrate a British success.

Edited by Dean'o