British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wolfy

Anglian Pairs, Ipswich, 13/08

is this Danny's first meeting after his injury in Målilla a few weeks ago?

Edited by Ghostwalker

Well i'll be giving this one a miss as for full £15 price its not all that appealing. Its not so much the calibre of rider on show, but i've never been a fan of the pairs format. Much better to have just had a star of Anglia individual meeting and every man for himself.

I have to agree with CS, full price admission for this meeting is not worth it. If it was a tenner, I would have considered but at normal prices, no thankyou. And I don't mean that as a disrespect to the riders in this meeting as I'm sure they'll do a good job of putting on a show for the fans.
Your opinion is as valid as anyone's but to put this into perspective for a minute, so which PL teams have £10 for entrance fee??? I was under the impression that most PL tracks charge £13/£14 entrance, added to which we have 4 current witches riders, 3 KL riders, Jason, Shane and Tom P all decent PL riders. So no out and out ride off into the distance riders, the added bonus of local rivalry and the return of Shane Parker...all I can say on this lovely sunny day that it will be your loss.

We all moaned about the 5 weeks no speedway at Foxhall and yet you feel unable to support an "open" event which everyone seemed to call for earlier in the season :rolleyes:

is this Danny's first meeting after his injury in Målilla a few weeks ago?

Yes

Your opinion is as valid as anyone's but to put this into perspective for a minute, so which PL teams have £10 for entrance fee??? I was under the impression that most PL tracks charge £13/£14 entrance, added to which we have 4 current witches riders, 3 KL riders, Jason, Shane and Tom P all decent PL riders. So no out and out ride off into the distance riders, the added bonus of local rivalry and the return of Shane Parker...all I can say on this lovely sunny day that it will be your loss.

We all moaned about the 5 weeks no speedway at Foxhall and yet you feel unable to support an "open" event which everyone seemed to call for earlier in the season :rolleyes:

With all due respect Badge, I cannot afford to go every week. I've been to at least 60% of Ipswich's home meetings this season (have done as well [except last season, due to other things on Thursdays] in the eight seasons inc this one of following speedway) and when there was the collections a few weeks back to help out the likes of Dawid and Kozza, I did my bit (not a tonne of money by any means but every little helps as they say).

I don't recall myself being "one of those" who called for an 'open' meeting. And for you to say to me "you feel unable to support" I find downright arrogant TBH. As I say earlier, I'm not as fortunate as others like you to be able to go every single meeting as I simply cannot afford it but I get to the stadium whenever is possible and it is unfortunate I cannot go tonight. Next time, all I ask is that you take off those tinted glasses of yours and show some common sense or do I ask too much? Sorry if you feel I'm being rude but I feel your trying to imply I'm a fairweather fan and I can take criticism (if it is justified) but I go to Foxhall whenever I can and if I could, I'd be a regular away traveller as well.

If the normal cost of an EL meeting is £15 to watch 14 riders and PL is £13/14 for 14 riders, then realistically the cost for the meeting tonight should be around £12/13 to watch 12 riders :unsure:

That said, good on Ipswich for trying something different, pity the local rag haven't advertised it.

Glad to see that Danny will be taking part.

With all due respect Badge, I cannot afford to go every week. I've been to at least 60% of Ipswich's home meetings this season (have done as well [except last season, due to other things on Thursdays] in the eight seasons inc this one of following speedway) and when there was the collections a few weeks back to help out the likes of Dawid and Kozza, I did my bit (not a tonne of money by any means but every little helps as they say).

I don't recall myself being "one of those" who called for an 'open' meeting. And for you to say to me "you feel unable to support" I find downright arrogant TBH. As I say earlier, I'm not as fortunate as others like you to be able to go every single meeting as I simply cannot afford it but I get to the stadium whenever is possible and it is unfortunate I cannot go tonight. Next time, all I ask is that you take off those tinted glasses of yours and show some common sense or do I ask too much? Sorry if you feel I'm being rude but I feel your trying to imply I'm a fairweather fan and I can take criticism (if it is justified) but I go to Foxhall whenever I can and if I could, I'd be a regular away traveller as well.

Chris, as I said you are entitled to your opinion, and your reasons for not coming tonight. My argument (if it is an argument as such :unsure: ) is that tonight's line up could possibly be better than the last 2 elite league meetings on show at Foxhall, for entertainment etc.

I'm sorry if you feel I have been arrogant or rude, that was not my intention, however I felt I had to put the view accross from the promotion angle in that a meeting is going ahead tonight, something that we would have welcomed during June/July.

Anyone who puts their hands in their pockets are to be thanked warmly, and I know money is hard to come by at the moment, but your reason for not attending tonight wasn't as clear (or I read it completely wrong probably) as your explanation above.

So I hope we haven't fallen out over this, as we Ipswich fans are the best :approve:

Daisy this is from EADT today:

Wilkinson's Elite League gamble

ELVIN KING

Last updated: 13/08/2009 09:49:00

IPSWICH Witches star Carl Wilkinson has revealed that he is virtually riding for fun in the Elite League.

The 28-year-old, who has been scorching to a succession of good scores for the Witches from a reserve berth, doubles up at Foxhall with his Premier League club Scunthorpe.

But without financial backing he is spending out as much as he is getting in to remain competitive at the top level.

Wilkinson is one of a limited number of English riders brave enough to put his helmet in the ring to try and escape the comfort zone that is the lower division and make it to the top of the speedway ladder.

Great Britain's standing on the international scene is as low as it has ever been with their two representatives in the world title Grand Prix series - Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris - struggling to make any impact.

The structure of the shale sport in this country needs a radical upheaval and Wilkinson says it could be 10 years before a British-produced rider makes a serious challenge for the world title again after Stowmarket-based Mark Loram won in 2000.

“If I sat down and worked it out my income would not be far different whether I rode in the Elite League or not,” said Wilkinson.

“I could earn as much just riding for Scunthorpe.

“You need a heavy investment in machinery to be any good in the top flight and things I can get away with at Premier League level I cannot with Ipswich.

“It is sad that there is such a low investment in producing British riders.

“On the continent good sponsors enable youngsters to have good equipment and many have training facilities they can use every day.

“I have a good sponsor or two and they are around, but we badly need more to come onboard and help.

“The Elite League is not unreachable for someone like me, but it would need more financial backing.

“We are 10 years too late, but training schools are now starting up at places like Buxton and I have been helping youngsters at Scunthorpe.

“It could be 10 years down the line that we see British riders coming through again.”

Wilkinson maintains one engine suitable for Ipswich meetings, and he reveals that it was a gamble to try and improve himself by taking on the big boys.

“It was a gamble, and there is so much planning to do getting bikes ready, having to make the most of any rare two or three day breaks,” he added.

“If not it does your head in. I have no alternative than to be virtually a full-time rider although I do some engineering work and sometimes spend a day working on fishing boats near my home.”

Wilkinson, David Howe and Witches No.8 Jerran Hart were originally included in tonight's Anglian Pairs meeting at Foxhall Stadium (start 7.30pm) but Scunthorpe now have a fixture.

Ipswich stars Scott Nicholls and Robert Miskowiak also have other commitments, but the Foxhall faithful will have a chance to see former Witches Chris Schramm, Shane Parker, Tomas Topinka and Tom P Madsen in action.

Witches skipper Daniel King makes his return after injury and will partner his brother Jason.

There will be normal admission prices with the 'Kids Go Free' offer applying.

Tonight's expected field: C Schramm and S Parker, D and J King, T Topinka and J Graversen, T Kroner and D Stachyra, T Batchelor and J Haines, S Robson and T P Madsen.

Edited by Badge

Yes

Scunthorpe charge £11 - but everyone else charge between £13 and £15 (Birmingham being the £15).

Would have liked to have gone to this but I'm still at work. Hoping that Chris Schramm has a good meeting back at Foxhall, with a win for Tobi and Dawid.

Shocking meeting, worst i've probably been to! No effort to entertain the over-paying public, and Tobi Kroner is taken to hospital which collarbone injury. :shock:

What was the point of a pairs meeting, only one "5-1",better racing in the 2 "junior" races afterwards.

1st Schramm 15, Parker 14 = 29

2nd Batchelor 18, Haines 7 = 25

3rd King D 19, King J 6 = 25

4th Kroner 13, Stachyra 8 = 21

5th Topinka 16, Graversen 4 = 20

6th Robson 15, Madsen 0 = 15

Well done to Schrammy and Shane for the win, although heat 15 looked like it was going to be a good battle until Tobi Kroner's unfortunate injury, hope he has not broken his collarbone as feared.

Good performances from Troy Batchelor and Danny King, and a solid return from Tomas Topinka.

Best race for me was ht8 when Robbo rounded Joe Haines on lap 4 bend 4 for 2nd place.

Good race format, even if the racing wasn't up to much.

Fairly certain he has in fact broken his collarbone......best wishes for a speedy recovery Tobi.

Well, that was an excellent exercise wasn't it? Sounds like it was a duff meeting....... and all we get from the night is Danny off the treatment table but Tobi replaces him! :rolleyes:

Fairly certain he has in fact broken his collarbone......best wishes for a speedy recovery Tobi.
Just an update, Tobi has broken his collarbone in 3 places, poor lad.

Ouch!!

Get well soon Tobi.