British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scunny Stag

Scunthorpe Speedway Mini-track Training/experience Days - Practice, Beginners & Groups

Scunthorpe Speedway's Mini-track has been open for over two years now on and with the BSPA website now showing details their popularity is growing. They generally run every second Saturday from 12-4pm but with all sessions being 'sold out' well in advance we are going to have to look at putting on extra sessions if demand continues to grow.

The sessions are proving very popular with everyone who attends as they give fans and prospective riders an opportunity to try the sport without having to buy a bike and all the equipment. The sessions, which are usually run by Wayne Carter (first choice cover is David Howe), include the use of the club's bikes (mostly 125cc but one 150cc and a 250cc) and all the protective equipment. The cost is £70 (increased from £60 after three years - June 2010) for the four-hour session whilst those with their own bikes/equipment can ride for £25. Those using club equipment/bikes are limited to 12 whilst it is rare there is more than one or two riders with their own bikes. Places can can be booked by calling me on 07832-402167 or e-mailing me at richard@scunthorpespeedway.com. Like everyone at Scunthorpe I do this on a voluntary basis so if I'm at work you will probably get my voicemail so please leave a message and I will call you back.

Photo and details can be found on the website at:

<a href="http://www.scunthorpespeedway.com/mini.php" target="_blank">http://www.scunthorpespeedway.com/mini.php</a>

Whilst photos of some of the bikes are at:

<a href="http://www.scunthorpespeedway.com/corporate.php" target="_blank">http://www.scunthorpespeedway.com/corporate.php</a>

The list of remaining 2009 dates are:

Saturday15th and 29th August (both currently full)

30th August (additional date)(Sunday)

12th and 26th September (12th full)

13th September (Additional date) (Sunday 10am-2pm preceeds 3pm meeting)

Saturday 10th October

Saturday 24th October

Sunday 25th October (Additional date)

Sunday 1st November (Additional date - fully booked)

Saturday 7th November (fully booked)

Sunday 8th November (additional date)

Saturday 21st November

Sunday 22nd November (additional date - fully booked)

Saturday 5th December

Saturday 19th December

As mentioned earlier if enough people show interest for extra dates then we will look at arranging them (obvious candidate is one before 26th Sept as we are currently full until then).

On a personal note, despite being 42 (and a bit of a coward) and not really spending much time on the mini-track at all (certainly not three full sessions worth of track time) I seem to sliding a bit better. It just goes to show that anyone can learn to slide even if the sessions highlight how incredible the pros are to do what they do.

Don't be afraid, give me a ring!

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by Scunny Stag

Due to demand we have added a Sunday date on 30th August. Please give me a call/text/e-mail if you would like to ride on that day.

With vitually all the spaces to the end of September full we have added another new date. Sunday 13th September. It will run from 10am - 2pm because there is a National League meeting between Scunthorpe and Newport at 3pm.

Please give me a call/text/e-mail if anyone is interested in riding on this, or any other, dates.

There are still spaces available on Sunday 13th September. Please contact me if anyone is interested.

Due to demand extra dates have been added on Sunday 8th November and Saturday 19th December.

Two more extra dates have been added - Sunday 25th October (four spaces left at the moment) and Sunday 1st November (fully booked). We are looking at way of further increasing the number of sessions so even more people can experience the thrill of riding a speedway bike.

After an awful winter last weekend finally saw the track back in use and decent condition. Dates are starting to fill up and we're looking forward to getting even more people on a speedway bike.

Our long-term aim is to have a track that can be used any day of the week and we will add extra dates whereever possible this year.

Please e-mail me at richard@scunthorpespeedway.com or call 07832-402167 to discuss possibilities of booking individual places, group sessions and open practice.

Bookings are really picking up and an extra Sunday has been added on 30th May.

Dates over the next three months or so are listed below but additional dates will be added if demand necessitates.

For more details go to http://www.scunthorpespeedway.com/mini.php and http://www.scunthorpespeedway.com/corporate.php. To book please contact me via richard@scunthorpespeedway.com or 07832-402167.

Saturday 24th April

Saturday 1st May ***FULLY BOOKED***

Saturday 8th May

Sunday 9th May ***FULLY BOOKED***

Sunday 16th May ***FULLY BOOKED***

Saturday 22nd May

Sunday 30th May

Saturday 5th June

Sunday 6th June

Saturday 19th June

Saturday 3rd July ***FULLY BOOKED***

Sunday 4th July

Saturday 17th July

Saturday 31st July

Dates for 2010 currently look like this:

Sunday 30th May

Saturday 5th June

Sunday 6th June

Saturday 19th June

Sunday 4th July

Saturday 17th July

Saturday 31st July

Sunday 1st August

Saturday 14th August ***FULLY BOOKED***

Sunday 15th August

Saturday 28th August

Sunday 29th August

Sunday 12th September

Saturday 25th September

Sunday 26th September

Saturday 9th October

Saturday 23rd October

Sunday 24th October

Saturday 6th November

Saturday 20th November

Sunday 21st November

Saturday 4th December

Saturday 18th December

Additional dates will be added should demand necessitate.

For more information go to the Mini Track http://www.scunthorpespeedway.com/mini.php and Corporate http://www.scunthorpespeedway.com/corporate.php sections of the club website or contact me

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by Scunny Stag

Just done the training day at Scunny today, with Wayne Carter and I highly recommend it! Loadsa laps for your money, and Wayne is a great coach, very friendly and patient. Will go back for more in the future when I've stopped aching!!! :approve:

Afraid after three years we have had to increase the cost slightly from £60 to £70. The increase is to help cover the cost of purchasing and running the bikes plus enable to purchase some new gear (most notably boots). The cost for riders with their own bikes remains at £25 (as there is no significant increase).

Dates for the summer are filling nicely although whilst the following three sessions are all fully booked there are plenty of spaces next Saturday. Available dates currently look like this:

Saturday 19th June

Sunday 4th July ***FULLY BOOKED***

Saturday 17th July ***FULLY BOOKED***

Saturday 31st July

Sunday 1st August

Saturday 14th August ***FULLY BOOKED***

Sunday 15th August

Saturday 28th August

Sunday 29th August

Sunday 12th September

Saturday 25th September

Sunday 26th September

Saturday 9th October

Saturday 23rd October

Sunday 24th October

Saturday 6th November

Saturday 20th November

Sunday 21st November

Saturday 4th December

Saturday 18th December

Additional dates will be added should demand necessitate.

Edited by Scunny Stag

Spaces available on 9th and 24th October, 6th and 20th November plus 4th and 18th December.