British Speedway Forum
Vincent Vega

Andy Buck

Just been watching an old Eastbourne DVD and Mr Andy Buck was in great form just wondered what he is up to nowadays anyone know?

......about 6ft 10", VV :wink: In all seriousness big Andy wasnt a bad rider, considering his size and shape. He didnt exactly fit the profile of the stereotypical speedway rider, but he adapted well enough. I think he was prone to the odd strop or two was he not :unsure:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

If my memory serves me correctly, he joined the Police Force after packing up riding.

Andy Buck was one of the riders who took part in Cyril Cranes meeting at Norwich and he won the trophy that day. Cyril was fined for running the event as no permission was granted by the authorities. I think another competitor was Buster Chapman. The meeting is covered on the Defunct Track website run by John Skinner under the Norwich section and there is a presentation photo of Andy getting the trophy. I think Andy went on to ride for Scunthorpe at one time

Edited by star ghost

He rode for Scunthorpe in 1984, Star Ghost. Before that he was a Peterborough rider from around 1978, I think he actually came from Peterborough. He joined Eastbourne when they dropped down to the NL in 1985 after appearing for them in the BL a few times. Pretty sure he had a bit of a falling out with the Eagles promotion at one time, refusing to ride in a meeting :unsure:

Just been watching an old Eastbourne DVD and Mr Andy Buck was in great form just wondered what he is up to nowadays anyone know?

Andy Buck is a Police dog handler in the North East.

Andy Buck was a 2nd halfer at Hull for most of 1995....

Andy Buck was a 2nd halfer at Hull for most of 1995....

Was it the same one, MM? There was another rider called Andrew Buck, who came from the north east area, he was a junior rider at Cleveland Park during the mid to late 80s if I remember right.

He rode for Scunthorpe in 1984, Star Ghost. Before that he was a Peterborough rider from around 1978, I think he actually came from Peterborough. He joined Eastbourne when they dropped down to the NL in 1985 after appearing for them in the BL a few times. Pretty sure he had a bit of a falling out with the Eagles promotion at one time, refusing to ride in a meeting :unsure:

He certainly did, his father Geoff was a Clerk of the Course at Peterborough and ran a motor engineering company in Eye Green just outside the town.

Andy rode for the Panthers from 1978 - 1983 - an odd meeting in the first couple of years then four full seasons as a steady second-string.

I believe Andy Buck is a policeman here in Sunderland (Northumbria Police). He attended one of our Sunderland Speedway Reunions a few years ago.

Was it the same one, MM? There was another rider called Andrew Buck, who came from the north east area, he was a junior rider at Cleveland Park during the mid to late 80s if I remember right.

Wouldn't swear to it, the Hull version wore plain dark blue leathers and won neary all his 2nd half races quiet easily and it was said he wasn't available for No.8 duties due to work commitments....

If anyone is in touch with Andy tell him former police dog colleague Simon Storey was asking for him, he said hello, hello, hello.;) He is now a steward with the greyhounds.

Edited by tyretrax

Unorthodox riding style due to his tall height but he was a very good 2nd Division heatleader while with Eastbourne in the late 80's!

Yes he was the winner of the notorious unlicensed junior meeting at Hevingham near Norwich on a cold lunchtime just after Christmas in 1976 in front of over 2000 fans!

Still convinced had this venue got the go ahead it would still be in operation now and very likely in the top Division cause the support levels in the Norwich area were good and would of seen the venue develop into a bonafide stadium!

On 11/08/2009 at 7:32 PM, NeilWatson said:

He certainly did, his father Geoff was a Clerk of the Course at Peterborough and ran a motor engineering company in Eye Green just outside the town.

Andy rode for the Panthers from 1978 - 1983 - an odd meeting in the first couple of years then four full seasons as a steady second-string.

The Andy Buck i  can remember was a rider for Peterborough    ( early 70s  a mascot??).   and later on was a very good rider for Eastbourne a very entertaining one to. Also i can vaguely remember the other Andy Buck who came from the North East and rode for Middlesborough.