British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 33

BRITISH SPEEDWAY IN CRISIS

British speedway is in the grip of another crisis – and this time there are genuine fears that our sport is on the brink of losing its professional status.

The sport’s history is littered with major setbacks – the introduction of Entertainment Tax and television in the 50s and the dreaded curse of VAT in the early 70s among the most drastic to threaten its existence – but there was always a cure on the horizon.

However, this badly wounded patient is now fighting for survival on a life support machine and there are few signs of recovery.

Of course, many of today’s ills are deeply rooted in the past, where problems arose and were allowed to fester to the point where they have become monumental and, in some cases, irreversible.

20 BIG PROBLEMS

So where did it all go wrong? While the BSPA continue to sit on their hands and plan their next re-write of the rulebook, we’ve asked JOHN BERRY – the same man who should have been empowered to lead our sport out of this mess many moons ago – to recall the 20 Biggest Problems to afflict British speedway between 1970-90.

Find out what JB believes was the worst thing to happen during the period under review . . . and see if you agree with him!

IT’S NOT ALL BAD – 10 GOOD THINGS

IT would be very churlish – and totally wrong – to try and claim that there were nothing but problems and negatives to arise throughout the 70s and 80s.

We are all – fans, media and the people who run speedway – sometimes guilty of being too hard on our sport. That is only natural, because we care for it passionately, always want to see it make the best of itself and to appeal more to a much wider audience.

The era Backtrack is all about will also be fondly remembered for a number of very positive things that served British speedway well and contributed to its self-proclaimed status as the nation’s second biggest spectator sport.

Here we recall 10 very good things to come out of that period in time, which still evokes lots of happy memories for many of us . . .

BRUCE PENHALL & MALCOLM SIMMONS JOIN THE BACKTRACK TEAM

We are delighted to announce the ‘signing’ of Bruce Penhall and Malcolm Simmons, two of the finest riders to grace the BL scene during the 70s and 80s. They present the first of their regular columns in this issue.

Double World Champ Penhall reflects on his early days in England in 1978, while former World No.2 and British Champion ‘Simmo’ has plenty of typically forthright views on the state of the sport today compared to his era. Read what he thinks of the GP tracks, the clothing worn by modern day riders, the recent SCB investigation into points-throwing allegations and more.

SCOTTISH SPECIAL

There is a distinct Scottish flavour to this issue. With plenty to interest fans of both Glasgow and Edimburgh.

We’ve got a new, exclusive four-page interview with former Tigers and Monarchs favourite BOBBY BEATON, who also starred for Hull in the top flight. Richard Bott has unearthed some cracking tales from Bobby, who is now driving a coach for a living.

Mike Hunter presents his Scotland Dream Team from the 1970-90 period. Who made it in and who was left out?

Martin Neal talks to Bobby’s father, JIMMY BEATON (Senior), about his determined struggle to keep Glasgow Speedway alive through thick and thin since he first joined the promotion at Hampden Park in 1972.

And our intrepid reporter stayed up in the far north to visit and photograph all eight of Glasgow’s former home venues.

Talking of travel, the globetrotting Bob Radford presents the first of his reviews of all the tracks he visited during the Backtrack era – starting at Arena Essex with 11 more venues also under scrutiny from one of the sport’s most travelled scribes.

In another new feature, we talk to PAUL THORP, who recalls his Big Night in winning the 1986 NLRC wearing the colours of Stoke Potters.

From Australia, we catch up with the hard-riding CARL ASKEW, who looks back on his days with Birmingham and Oxford.

In the south-east, we popped along to the recent Romford Bombers reunion, where old Bombers Des Lukehurst, Frank Wendon, Stan Stevens, John Hibben and general manager Maurice Morley were reminiscing about the early 70s at Brooklands.

http://www.retro-speedway.com/

Yet again - BackTrack comes up Trumps. I particularly enjoyed Simmo's article. Forthright, Honest and NO punches pulled. I found it compelling reading and found that I agreed 100% with what he had to say. Some may not like what he has said - but - it is refreshing to find someone who is still very obviously passionate about the Sport telling it as he sees it. Bruce Penhall has used his first piece to more or less introduce himself - I will expect more in his next submission. The Jimmy Beaton article was very interesting - Martin Neal continues to impress.

I missed Rod Haynes this Month - I hope he is on holiday because I look forward to his contribution each Month.

Have I got to wait two months for the next issue. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I too enjoyed Simmo's forthright views, made a refreshing change. In particular his comment about Ronnie Russell and "Jobs for the boys". Also about the way tracks ae prepared these days. Buster Chapman came in for praise for the track he prepared at Peterborugh and WTC. Maybe goes to explain why a lot of riders cant compete with the Lynn riders at Saddlebow.

As for Bruce Penhall's article, poor read I thought. Shame they have offered him more.

I too enjoyed Simmo's forthright views, made a refreshing change. In particular his comment about Ronnie Russell and "Jobs for the boys". Also about the way tracks ae prepared these days. Buster Chapman came in for praise for the track he prepared at Peterborugh and WTC. Maybe goes to explain why a lot of riders cant compete with the Lynn riders at Saddlebow.

As for Bruce Penhall's article, poor read I thought. Shame they have offered him more.

I'm just hoping that he used his first piece as a way of introducing himself - at least I hope so. Will be awaiting his next installment with interest.