British Speedway Forum
Snyper1010

World Champions That Never Were

Ok i aint sure if this has ever been done and if it has i apologise. But being halfway through the "Tragedy" book about Kenny Carter i got thinking who people would class as the best rider never to actually be World Champion. So i was thinking that we could name who we think it was and if you wanted you could maybe put your own reason/thoughts/analysis as to why said rider never got their hands on the most sought after prize in speedway.

Tomasz Gollob has to be a contender among the current batch. Would probably have won more than one under the old system. Possibly 3 or 4, depending on where in Poland they decided to stage it! Regularly comes to the party when it matters in World Championship meetings.

Ok i aint sure if this has ever been done and if it has i apologise. But being halfway through the "Tragedy" book about Kenny Carter i got thinking who people would class as the best rider never to actually be World Champion. So i was thinking that we could name who we think it was and if you wanted you could maybe put your own reason/thoughts/analysis as to why said rider never got their hands on the most sought after prize in speedway.

Snyper, it's obviously Ryan Fisher. :wink:

All the best

Rob

Tomasz Gollob has to be a contender among the current batch. Would probably have won more than one under the old system. Possibly 3 or 4, depending on where in Poland they decided to stage it! Regularly comes to the party when it matters in World Championship meetings.

If you are looking at current GP riders then you can add Leigh Adams to the list.

Has been done on forum, My choice would also be Ryan Fisher :D:lol:

Edited by Fromafar

Seeing as i only got into speedway in the late Nineties, it always made me wonder about when Billy Hammil became WC, obviously he was a good rider back then, but was he as good as Adams, Gollob etc are/were?

Edited by MattyHart

Snyper, it's obviously Ryan Fisher. :wink:

All the best

Rob

He aint retired or deceased yet ;)

It can be riders from either format. But i would have to agree that Leigh Adams has long been of World Champion quality. Do you really feel its his "nice guy" personality that has let him down as people sometimes say or do you think there is more to it than that?

If you are looking at current GP riders then you can add Leigh Adams to the list.

Leigh may have won a title under the old system, and may even be a better rider than Gollob overall. But in World terms Gollob has, I feel, shone more. In league racing I'd say "yes" about Leigh Adams, but in World Championship terms I'd go for Gollob as more likely.

Leigh may have won a title under the old system, and may even be a better rider than Gollob overall. But in World terms Gollob has, I feel, shone more. In league racing I'd say "yes" about Leigh Adams, but in World Championship terms I'd go for Gollob as more likely.

Agree but under the old one off system was it easier to be World Champ,Id say it was.I mean would Egon Muller ever have been World Champ under this GP system.

Agree but under the old one off system was it easier to be World Champ,Id say it was.I mean would Egon Muller ever have been World Champ under this GP system.

It was far harder to win a one-off World title. One slip, just one dropped point could mean that was it for another 12 months. In contrast, over a GP series, a rider can drop a lot of points and still be World Champ.

I miss the sheer drama of the one-off World Final.

All the best

Rob

Well, easier if you weren't the best rider in the world. Possibly harder if you were - as Hans Neilsen would probably testify.

There are many riders who probably wouldn't have made World Champ under the GP system. I doubt even riders like Ermolenko, Michanek and Jan O. Pedersen would have, let alone Muller, Havelock and that Polish bloke.

Wasnt really a "one off" was it. I mean there was qualifiers to be won to actually be there. So the riders that did take part in the "one off" final were all there on merit. Shame the same cant be said for todays GP series.

I would say certain riders just don't have the mental toughnes to be a World Champ,regardless of the system.Leigh Adams i think would be a bottler in a one off final,just as he is in the GP's when the stress is on

Tom Farndon, who sadly died the year before the World Championship started.

Well, easier if you weren't the best rider in the world. Possibly harder if you were - as Hans Neilsen would probably testify.

There are many riders who probably wouldn't have made World Champ under the GP system. I doubt even riders like Ermolenko, Michanek and Jan O. Pedersen would have, let alone Muller, Havelock and that Polish bloke.

I think Michanek would have won it in 73 (instead of 74) under a GP system, and Ermolenko was so good in 93 that he would have won it that year under a GP format too. (Similarly while I don't think Jonsson would have won under a GP format in 1990, he could have done so in 1992)

Ultimately whatever the system there will only be one world champion per year. What a GP system does is to share those titles among a smaller number of riders.

And back to the original question:

Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Igor Plechanov, Zenon Plech, and any Moran of your choice would be the top of my list.

Edited by arnieg