British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Nigel Boocock

Coventry fans, brace yourself for something a bit special coming your way very soon...

Issue 6 (which went to press tonight) includes an 8-page exclusive interview with Bees legend Nigel Boocock.

Booey looks back over the highs and lows of his illustrious career from his Brisbane home.

You won't be disappointed...

Coventry fans, brace yourself for something a bit special coming your way very soon...

Issue 6 (which went to press tonight) includes an 8-page exclusive interview with Bees legend Nigel Boocock.

Booey looks back over the highs and lows of his illustrious career from his Brisbane home.

You won't be disappointed...

And what a star he is! I only watched him at the end of his career at Canterbury, he must have been 40 or thereabouts! The most spectacular of racers!

I just know there's a certain person that'll love reading this.

When is it published?

I first saw Nigel riding for Coventry at Glasgow White City early in 1965 - the first year of the amalgamated British League. This big question of the day was whether Charlie Monk, the home hero, could beat him. I think Charlie did, but my memory is of Nigel's spectacular riding. His style was such that he always seemed to look faster than the guy in front of him, although it must be said that few riders stayed in front of him for all four laps.

It was also a novelty to see the famous blue leathers. We'd all heard about them, but in those distant days of a black-and-white Speedway Star we looked forward to seeing the real thing.

Good on you TMC.. ;)

Yes Great News. Was fortunate to interview and speak with Nigel for many hours when he came over for the Golden Greats, both at a forum the supporters club organised....I was the one asking all the questions most of the time :)

Met up with Nigel then at the Windmill and went through old times, and hooked up with him several times at tracks when he was here.

His daughter contacted me around that time as well when she realised I'd got quite a bit of footage and stuff of Nigel and I sent a copy out to him as he had nothing at the time himself.

I'm sure some of the stories will be of those that we discussed and more hopefully.

He was the reason I started following speedway in 1960/61 onwards I was a massive Boocock fan, and remain so.

I won't go into the things he told me here, as it may spoil what is revealled in the Interview. I am hoping to get a copy hand delivered to me by a friend come Christmas here in the Philippines.

Good work TMC.

Well tmc, i certainly wasn't disappointed & neither was the old man.

A superb nostalgic look back at his career, i never realised Booey was so dominant at league level as he was.

It's a measure of the man he is that he values this more than personal glory, a true teamster of the highest level.

There are so many riders that went on to become big names that owe a huge debt to Booey, yet you'll never hear him shouting about it, what a gent.

Edited by colincooke

Well tmc, i certainly wasn't disappointed & neither was the old man.

A superb nostalgic look back at his career, i never realised Booey was so dominant at league level as he was.

It's a measure of the man he is that he values this more than personal glory, a true teamster of the highest level.

There are so many riders that went on to become big names that owe a huge debt to Booey, yet you'll never hear him shouting about it, what a gent.

I certainly agree a great servant to the sport.

Wasn't it Nigel who exposed the "green light gating" so beloved of a certain Kiwi that eventually led to the stationary start we have today?

An absolute ambassador for the sport that has ever been, and still is, we had the pleasure of his company as guest speaker at a Pioneer Park reunion dinner April '08, he came with short notice! We were able to recount his days as a touring Lions captain and later as Lions touring team manager. I have been priviliged to see, over my short life, Nigel race, manage and lead and speak! The "Poms" are now only advantaged by the exploits of a few like Marcus and Bev Williams who are bringing aspiring young English talent to our shores to further their experience. It is their honour to have these tours in memory of Nigels son and daughterin law. The tour emblazed as the "Darren and Sharon Boocock Scholarship Tour"

Edited by speedwaydrenno

I still believe that Nigel should be honoured for services to speedway, both for club and country, rider and manager

I just wish someone more qualified than I to present the case would get the thing moving

Good on you MR ... I think this is well overdue. B) whats up with the powers to be?

Regards.

I still believe that Nigel should be honoured for "services to speedway", both for club and country, rider and manager

I just wish someone more qualified than I to present the case would get the thing moving

The 'man in blue' enjoyed a good spell at Exeter later in his career , and believe me his enthusiasm was still very evident , not the best gater , but fearless when behind.A great servant to the sport.