British Speedway Forum

I heard on local BBC radio that Scott Nicholls has pulled out of tonights meeting due to a virus. Couldn't hear who is replacing him.

Another one from Poland been struck down poorly. :(

Note to FIM - do not hold a GP in October in VERY COLD POLAND :wink:

You cheeky lot! You really shouldn't be making me laugh, it still hurts. Lol. Lycra indeed and as for jogging :blink: . All 3 of you will keep till next season! :wink:

Hoping for a dry evening and not too cold. Best line up for many a year, really looking forward to it.

Hahaha..way to go LW.

Reading the updates site, they could have done with the elastic from your Lycra shorts,

to stop the starting tapes from drooping... :lol:

Also, sprinting in Lycra would have kept the cold away ya know.. :wink:

Hope you enjoyed your racing tonight.

Hope Roo is ok after his spill, likewise Olly Allen.

Congrats to Robert Miskowiak on his win tonight, bit of a surprise that to be honest.

Just in from Foxhall, not that cold really! And one of the better events tbh.

Hope Rory is ok, didn't see what happened to him personally, just saw him on the track.

Allen was leading the final and going into 1st bend, spun round and fell, Miskowiak was very lucky not to hit him, but did clip his bike, which made him lift and headed to the 2nd bend fence. How he stayed on, i dont know, but he did. I then turned back to the 2nd bend, only to see 4 riders on the track, Allen, Schlein, Sundstrom and Batchelor.

All but 1 got up and walked back to pits, that being Rory, he was into ambulance and taken to hospital "in pain". Thats all what was said....

In the rerun Shields gated ahead of Miskowiak and lead until final bend. Robert dived under him and Troy followed him through aswell. Meaning Robert won the meeting, with Troy 2nd, Adam 3rd.

Karl

Was a shame about Scott pulling out as after Harris had said he was not in it(or his manager) it was down to Scott to do some blasting around the fence, but then he was gone, then Danny pulled out after a couple of painfull laps by the look of it. That only really left Sheilds Troy and Robert to battle it out for the title. And Robert made a great pass after tailing Sheilds for 9 laps, and deserved to win, being the best rider on display and cruising to 4 easy wins in his heats by a straight every time. Well done to Robert in what has been a really good return to our team, and hope he picksup an award at the end of season presentation.

good night on the whole ... just picture it ... 6 kids between 2 and 10, and a partner watching only her fourth meeting .. (previously one team meeting and one individual Both at Rye House and an amateur meeting at sittingbourne )

12 fairly possesional races in the qualifying section .... and a straight forward 3 rider 6 lap consolation final .. nothing unusual there .. some meetings go like that !

then ....

the absolute roar of 8 riders , throttle's wide open on screaming motorbikes .. hammering full on into the first bend, (higher scoring riders on the night at the back, lower scorers at the front for those that have never been before) on a track that is not that wide !!! and screaming down the back straight like a line of bees heading for the honey pot, even my eyes (and with 35 years of speedway watching behind me) couldnt work out the order with the unusual helmet colours !

Lambchop (9 years of speedway viewing under his young belt, but experiencing his first 16 lapper) stood open mouthed and stunned into silence (and thats very very rare !) and pointed ... saying ....

"dad ??????" with a very quizzical face ,

yes i had tried to explain to them what they were going to see .. but until you experience it, i dont think it registers .. its not the norm, and its not speedway !

they had grasped the idea of 16 laps ... but with that working on their minds, the idea of 8 riders had kind of failed to register.

comments that followed on the way home were .. "whens the next race like that ?" and " can we go again next week " along with the always asked from lambchop .. "dad .. can i race in that meeting when i am older, that was great "

young minds and young heads that have just been excited by a speedway meeting .. all too lost nowadays sadly which brings me to the reason for the story ..

if you want to keep the masses going .. maybe one off original concepts like the 16 lapper is the thing .. regular Ipswich goers may have found after 20 years of this spectacle is a bit wearing .. but .. its about getting those new people in and grabbing there attention .. Ippo fans will still support it because its there end of season finale, and a chance to see off there team they have followed for the season, and hopefully grab a few words with there fav rider to say happy xmas etc. but the actual meeting produces a rare "diffrence" to our sport that works ... in that its a "twist" not a major upheaval of the rules,

Shame on those Ippo fans that are bored of the 16 lapper .. its original and exciting and you should be proud to have it .

ok ... any news on Rory ?? looked quite nasty but my view of the incident was blocked by the air fence (great invention for rider safety but can they make it see through ??? )

I've been seeing the 16 lapper since the 80's and I have to say I still get that little thrill of excitement, the heart going boompity boomp just before the tapes rise on the final.

I've also got a lot more organised and now have a piece of paper with 1 to 16 written on it and write down what happens heat by heat with the aid of my spotters (two of my boys)....makes it much easier to text to updates!

Mind you, my spotters disappeared just as the tapes rose last night, only to come back when we were on the 5th lap.

Edited by crazysue

ok ... any news on Rory ??

Rory remains in Ipswich Hospital under sedation until they diagnose what has actually happened to his shoulder. 5 doctors are going thru xrays trying to find out what the problem is. Rory at the minute is unable to move his arm so will probably remain in Ipswich until they operate or find out what the problem is. Sorry I cannot be more specific but also very hard talking to someone on drugs who told me it was a collar bone and its more like something gone adrift with his shoulder blade. Will keep you posted.

Great description there Sean. Although one or two who post on here don't appear to like it/are bored, I think the vast majority of Ipswich fans still like it. As you said, nothing can prepare you for the sight (and sound) of eight bikes urtling to the first bend at the same time..... And a well done to Robert too - an excellent and much deserved win.

On a slightly different note, Pete Simmons has been on Mike Bacon's webchat today. Rory has a broken collarbone and two broken ribs :cry: Get better soon Rory

I love this meeting and the sight of 8 bikes going into the 1st and 2nd bend is still as spectacular now as it was the first time I went. I recommend every speedway fan witnesses at least one 16 lapper. Sean, it was great to see you and the clan again, and I love your description of events. Would love to have seen Lambchops face but theres no way I would have missed the race to see it!!..Lol

Absolutely delighted that Bobby won, he's been desperate to win for a few years now and his delight was clear to see.

Very sad to see Roo's accident and best wishes for a speedy recovery. As a consequence of that I didn't get my relaxed evening, but some things are more important!

and wheres my manners eh ....

so sorry LW and WvsH .. very good to see you too last night .. and glad to see that you are on the road to recovery and looking well

and thanks to Tom Thumb And Sheila for there hospitality and sorry for " invading your step " lol

went to 16 lapper for the first time last night what a meeting. the 16 lapper final was worth the admission alone. even if i did have to put with old fart whingeing about how boring it was behind me. if you think its boring dont go you muppet.

hope rory schlein is ok looked a nasty one

Well, I'm pleased to see that people do actually still enjoy the 16 Lapper.

It is unique and you guys think its great watching from the terraces... wait

til you get down on the track.

I was fortunate enough to be working on the trackstaff for a number of years

and one year got the job of pulling the tapes down on the back grid. The atmosphere

is electric, riders and mechanics alike, all looking very nervous. So, I have had the

privilige of seeing this from both side of the fence, it makes the hair stand on end,

on either side, believe me.

I would have suggested that it would be a great curtain raiser for a season,

get the fans juices flowing for the coming season, but then we wouldn't have

this wonderful spectacle to enjoy at the seasons end.

Personally, I think its a fantastic way to end the season at Ipswich, wouldn't

quite be the same if it wasn't run.

As for the moaners... as has been said, if you don't like it, don't blinking well go.

Long Live The 16 Lapper..