British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ross

Ole Olsen Youtube Clip

I sometimes wonder about all of these technical developments in speedway. Yesterday I read somewhere that Berwick's track record is still held by - wait for it - Steve McDermott! This must mean that either the bikes are getting no faster or else the tracks are getting slower. I wonder which it is?

Check the date on the newspaper you were reading . :rolleyes: Not the case Im afraid :wink:

Check the date on the newspaper you were reading . :rolleyes: Not the case Im afraid :wink:

"dear mr. shell answer man..why do all the danish speedway racers speak english with a kiwi accent?" answer... they don't! kiwi speedway racers speak english with a danish accent, mr. smart pants. quite simple really. :rolleyes::wink:

Edited by sandman

"dear mr. shell answer man..why do all the danish speedway racers speak english with a kiwi accent?" answer... they don't! kiwi speedway racers speak english with a danish accent, mr. smart pants. quite simple really. :rolleyes::wink:

:lol::wink:

i dunno.. that last album you were a part of years ago kind of sucked. (no offence). but you of all people know late morning and afternoons the wind blows except when ya get becalmed. still its better that getting pooped mid ocean, besides, when things are a bit tough :wink: a set of sails are cheaper than diesel.

It wasn't the greatest album ever, was it? Actually, that was part of what was reported at the time to be "artistic differences" which led to my departure. There are times when you just have to do your own thing. A bit like sailing, really.

I know 26 years is along time but the bit at 6.38 into the clip about how he owes so much to England !! The gp`s have shafted England big time.

I know 26 years is along time but the bit at 6.38 into the clip about how he owes so much to England !! The gp`s have shafted England big time.

Absolutely 100% disagree.Olsen might not be everyones cup of tea at the moment,but the state of speedway in GB can't be blamed on him.Look at the promoters who have run the sport into the ground since well.......i would say the 1940s :rolleyes: ....but the recent promoters also have done a fair bit of damage

And anyway,i think he has payed England back enough by continually giving Nicholls a wildcard into the GPs :wink:

Edited by iris123

Absolutely 100% disagree.Olsen might not be everyones cup of tea at the moment,but the state of speedway in GB can't be blamed on him.Look at the promoters who have run the sport into the ground since well.......i would say the 1940s :rolleyes: ....but the recent promoters also have done a fair bit of damage

And anyway,i think he has payed England back enough by continually giving Nicholls a wildcard into the GPs :wink:

Did he not suggest shutting down British Speedway for a season or to a while back

Totally agree. It is galling when all speedway’s ill’s are seemingly being blamed on a very talented speedway rider with a wonderful style, and who was very unlucky to have not been a four times world champion and who publicly recognises this country as the making of him.

His Job with the FIM; no doubt he does the best as he sees it but he makes mistakes - as we all do. It has also been stated on here that his position with the FIM does not have the autonomy that some might think either.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Did he not suggest shutting down British Speedway for a season or to a while back

A suggestion.....blimey he is the Devil incarnate :blink:

Totally agree. It is galling when all speedway’s ill’s are seemingly being blamed on a very talented speedway rider with a wonderful style, and who was very unlucky to have not been a four times world champion and who publicly recognises this country as the making of him.

His Job with the FIM; no doubt he does the best as he sees it but he makes mistakes - as we all do. It has also been stated on here that his position with the FIM does not have the autonomy that some might think either.

He also retired a lot better off than 99% of riders do to quote Lannning "he is retiring a millionaire" IMO he has run things for his own benefit .I don't knock him for that but he is no saint he has merely taken advantage of the sport like that midget in the wig has in F1.I don't supose he cares what people think he is too busy counting the cash which I am sure out weighs in his mind how popular he is with the s/way public.

I was just saying what ole said on the clip that he owed so much to england, This was true in terms of his riding days and you can't knock him for the way the GP series has developed and we all love going to Cardiff but in terms of domestic speedway the gp`s have hit us hard. In no way is this though all down to Ole, the way the sport is run over here is at times mindblowing. He wants the GP competition to be as good as it can be just the way he did himself to become the rider he was.

Just want to add that was a great clip from YouTube, and it brought a lump to my throat. ITV and Dave Lanning certainly brought some great coverage in the 70's... and what a great crowd, 20,000! I recall one of the quality newspapers of the time, who didn't normally do much speedway, publishing quite a big column on his retirement with the headline "White knight rides into the sunset"...