British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Premier League Points Limit 45 or 40

Surely the 3 (or 4) PL teams and all the EL teams are out numbered by the remaining PL teams. Are the EL promoters stupid as you build from the top down and its the bottom end that suffers not the top end, as I said, in 1999 the top end of the league lost Rishardson and Pedersen but gained Sean Wilson so there is hardly going to be a mad scramble for top PL riders to move up.

Mr Hewlett wants a 45 limit. Heard that from a very reliable source. Pretty sure it was stated in the Somerset section in the Star this week or last.

From what i remember it said he was in favour of a 45 point limit and a wage structure to try a keep clubs on an even playing field and to try and protect teams finances.

Personally i think that reducing the points limit wont really reduce costs for the Premier as it will make 7 point riders more valuable as they are the ones more likely to raise averages by a good margin. Thus meaning they will demand more money from Promoters as they will have more places available to them. Also riders like Ben Barker are going to be able to demand more money as every promoter is going to be fighting over the good 3 pointers as they are thin on the groung at the moment.

Thanks for clarifying Triple D....I had been a bit disappointed when I thought Somerset were siding with my least favorite promoter.

Glad it doesn't appear to be the case!

Good point on costs too

why should the PL be messed about with to make the EL stronger.

Firstly, having more BPL riders in the BEL will actually make the league weaker and ultimately might encourage more teams to move-up. Secondly, there is virtually no rider progression from the BPL these days, which is leading it to become an 'Elite League' in its own right.

I've already made this point elsewhere, but the BPL is positioned as a cost-effective middle-tier and needs a viable BEL to remain that way. If the BEL was to disappear, the BPL will end-up having exactly the same problems. Neither league can exist in isolation, and this 'PL good, EL bad' attitude does not help the sport.

I could understand the BPL's point-of-view if it were being decimated as the National League was back in 1991, but losing couple of teams out of eighteen won't make a blind bit of difference. In fact, sixteen teams is arguably the optimum number for the league.

If the 40 point limit is introduced next season

I completely agree that introducing a 40-point limit is not the way to go about encouraging riders to move-up to the BEL. It'll mostly be the middle-order riders who are not good enough for the BEL that will be forced out, to be replaced by three-pointers. A more effective strategy would be to introduce a limit on top-end strength, or say that any rider above a certain (BPL) average must ride in the BEL.

I can perfectly understand the concerns of BPL fans who don't want to lose their favourite stars, but the bigger picture needs to be considered. This is that the BPL is not supposed to be an Elite League, and neither can it afford to be one.

Thanks for clarifying Triple D....I had been a bit disappointed when I thought Somerset were siding with my least favorite promoter.......

Stone me who would that be :?: (NOT) :D:D

Mr Hewlett wants a 45 limit. Heard that from a very reliable source.

Is this the same reliable source that says all the Elite League promoters want a 40 point limit in the PL?

It's strange how the EL promoters get blamed for everything when there are only 8 of them as against 18 PL promoters. :roll:

Stone me who would that be :?: (NOT) :D:D

Hands up all those who like Tim Stone??! OK, Hands up all those who DONT HATE Tim Stone!

So far I ahve been unable to work out why Tim Stone wants a 40 point limit and what he thinks it will achieve yet he has already agreed terms with his top 2 riders from this year t head his team next year, not going to cut the cost of his top riders and the way I see it all it will do is raise the lower order riders demands but even if it doesn't Tim won't save money either as he has got his top two, who cost the majority of the money!

Also the idea of the top riders moving up is crap as Newport already have there top 2 staying put, any EL want Tony Atkin? Sheffield have there number 1 and 3 and pretty much the othe two. Worky will keep there top 2. Just who can you see being released with a 40 point limit would not be with 45 point limit to go EL, it might push Gjedde rather than letting him jump!

BTW, Tim Stone, Bob Radford and Jason Harrold can put there hands down :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Not trying to have a bad elite league good premier league attitude.

But surely having 18 teams in one league and 8 in the other shows that one must be a more viable option for promoters than the other. I agree that the teams need to be more evenly spread but they shouldnt do that by ruining the premier league format as it stands as it is proven to work.

Surely its the elite league that needs restructuring to make it more viable for teams to move up into it. If you leave the elite as is and try getting teams to move up into it by changing the premier league then i can see teams going to the wall because they cant afford it.

As far as i see it there arent many spare elite heat leaders about at present so to sign any elite riders of a decent heat leader status promoters are going to have to dangle big carrots in front of them as the riders will have a choice of clubs to sign for. Maybe they need to reduce the points limit in the Elite for one season so it turns it into a buyers market as such and drives the top riders wages down.

I know it now seems as though i am contradicting myself after my comments about reducing the PL points limit but i believe there are more lower order riders to go around in the elite just not enough top riders. So lower order riders still wont be able to command much more money.

I had come to the conclusion a few weeks ago that it would be a 45 points limit next year but I had not realised that the EL promoter could vote on a PL issue but I do take the point that the limit does affect both leagues due to the possible riders moving up.

i believe there are more lower order riders to go around in the elite just not enough top riders.

I think there are enough lower order riders to go around, but they're just not willing to ride in the BEL. I take your point about the top riders though, and a more equal distribution is undoubtedly required if the BEL is to attract and keep new teams.

...some clubs wanted a reduction in the points limit in a bid to reduce costs but that proposal was thrown out by promoters at a top-level meeting.

It seems certain that the 45-point limit will be retained.

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle....rticleID=686081

I had come to the conclusion a few weeks ago that it would be a 45 points limit next year but I had not realised that the EL promoter could vote on a PL issue but I do take the point that the limit does affect both leagues due to the possible riders moving up.

Will the converse also apply :?: , i.e. PL promoters voting on EL issues :?:

Perhaps PL promoters could vote through the same points limit applying to both leagues then :twisted: