British Speedway Forum
andout

Issue 6

Now before I get assaulted I am not taking anything away from Bob Andrews' accomplishments. I watched him race many many times and always thought he was a very good rider.

Now for my point here....the 1969 World Pairs was NOT a World Pairs...it was a "Best Pairs International championship FIM 1969". This was, I believe a trial for a World Pairs.....and even though they handed out FIM Gold, Silver & Bronze medals (as the FIM did for all its events), this was not a World championship and is "still" NOT recognized as such. I really would be interested to know whether the medals given out said "World Championship" though.

That also goes for the 1968 meeting.......the first official World Pairs was 1970 in Malmo.

But to reiterate I would love to know if those medals say "VM" in which case....HISTORY SHOULD BE CHANGED.

Edited by andout

Now before I get assaulted I am not taking anything away from Bob Andrews' accomplishments. I watched him race many many times and always thought he was a very good rider.

Now for my point here....the 1969 World Pairs was NOT a World Pairs...it was a "Best Pairs International championship FIM 1969". This was, I believe a trial for a World Pairs.....and even though they handed out FIM Gold, Silver & Bronze medals (as the FIM did for all its events), this was not a World championship and is "still" NOT recognized as such. I really would be interested to know whether the medals given out said "World Championship" though.

That also goes for the 1968 meeting.......the first official World Pairs was 1970 in Malmo.

But to reiterate I would love to know if those medals say "VM" in which case....HISTORY SHOULD BE CHANGED.

I will go and have a look

ISSUE 6 (Autumn 2009) can be ordered direct from our Retro Speedway website now:

http://www.retro-speedway.com

NIGEL BOOCOCK ­ - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

England's leading rider of the 60s Nigel Boocock talks exclusively from his home in Queensland, Australia, while we also reflects on the ups and downs of a remarkable career that spanned 29 years and made him a popular speedway hero on both sides of the world.

The Coventry legend looks back on his 18 seasons at Brandon and talks of his relationship with promoter Charles Ochiltree.

He talks about his never-say-die attitude that thrilled thousands throughout his career and left him nursing some serious injuries almost from Day One, when he was a young rookie at Bradford.

Booey also explains how he came to wear his famous blue leathers, why he was disappointed not to make the top three in at least one of his eight World Final appearances and the riders he admired most.

BOB ANDREWS ­- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Speedway was in turmoil in 1964 and Bob Andrews was at the centre of the National League/Provincial League conflict. Here the 'rebel' Kiwi, explains why he ended up in the high court at the Old Bailey after being sued by his club and briefly shunned by team-mates.

Bob talks candidly about his early days with California and then progressing from novice to heat leader in the great Wimbledon team of the 50s before his bust-up with Ronnie Greene caused by his brief switch to Wolverhampton.

He provides a fascinating insight into his World Pairs championship success with Ivan Mauger at Stockholm in 1969 ­ and reveals why a late-night visit to a Swedish sex shop played its part in their unorthodox build up to the big night!

VIC WHITE ­- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

He wasn¹t the greatest rider in the world, but Vic White has done more than most in a sport that has seen him succeed on both sides of the fence. We caught up with the driving force behind the WSRA, who had spells with Cradley Heath, Long Eaton, Newport and Leicester before becoming a team manager and promoter.

ERIC WILLIAMS & LOUIS LAWSON

We pay tribute to two former favourites who recently passed away. The ŒLittle Welshman¹ Eric Williams and Belle Vue legend Louis Lawson, who went close to winning the World Championship.

Plus:

How the Provincial League came into being in 1960 and much more in this latest feast of pre-70 nostalgia.

Another CRACKING read. Enjoyed all of the Magazine but especially the pieces on Nigel Boocock, Eric Williams, Vic White and Louis Lawson.

Looking forward to the next one already. :approve::approve: