British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Surviving World Finalists

Arthur was the one I wasn't sure about, plus Dick Bradley (?)

Hi Dick Bradley is thankfully alive and well and is at the Abbey every week,

regards Yvonne (his daughter.)

Dos anyone know if Arthur Payne is still alive??

Just heard from Reg Fearman who confirms that Arthur Payne is still with us.

What about Olle Nygren? He must be older than Ove?

Phil certainly is still with us. I'm hoping to see him in a couple of weeks.

Ole Nygren is 80 this month and he is having a big party in Stockholm which will be full of Speedway riders. I had an invite , but the trouble is they will all be speaking Swedish which is hard to understand and I also had a prior engagement.

Ok then it sounds like the list is 1. Cyril Roger 2. Phil Clarke 3. Split Waterman 4. Arthur Payne 5.Danny Dunton 6. Dick Bradley 7. Fred Brand 8. Freddie Williams 9. Chum Taylor 10.Eric Boothroyd. However can somebody confirm this by adding birthdates as a couple of these gentlemen are listed as having the same age e.g. Chum and Eric; Dick and Fred; Split and Arthur. So until we know birthdates we won't know the actual order. Sorry to be a nerd (or"anorak" as you Brits say) about this!!!!!!!.Incidentally the only survivor of the 1949 World Final(sixty years ago- hard to believe) is now Cyril Roger. For the 1950 Final(assuming Mike Erskine has passed away-BTW anyone know the answer to that?)- besides Cyril , Freddie is still with us, as are Split,Ronnie Moore,Danny Dunton and Arthur Payne. Long may it remain this way.

Ok then it sounds like the list is 1. Cyril Roger 2. Phil Clarke 3. Split Waterman 4. Arthur Payne 5.Danny Dunton 6. Dick Bradley 7. Fred Brand 8. Freddie Williams 9. Chum Taylor 10.Eric Boothroyd. However can somebody confirm this by adding birthdates as a couple of these gentlemen are listed as having the same age e.g. Chum and Eric; Dick and Fred; Split and Arthur. So until we know birthdates we won't know the actual order. Sorry to be a nerd (or"anorak" as you Brits say) about this!!!!!!!.Incidentally the only survivor of the 1949 World Final(sixty years ago- hard to believe) is now Cyril Roger. For the 1950 Final(assuming Mike Erskine has passed away-BTW anyone know the answer to that?)- besides Cyril , Freddie is still with us, as are Split,Ronnie Moore,Danny Dunton and Arthur Payne. Long may it remain this way.

I confirm that Mike Erskine passed away some years ago. Heard it from his son Jon.

Thanx Knowle do u know where is Jon these days??-a good rider in his time also

Ole Nygren is 80 this month and he is having a big party in Stockholm which will be full of Speedway riders. I had an invite , but the trouble is they will all be speaking Swedish which is hard to understand and I also had a prior engagement.

I met Ove again last week. Fortunately he spoke English, which was easy to understand.

Yes, a good time was had by all, thank you, star ghost. But we did miss you. :sad:

OK OK great conversations but does anyone know the actual birthdates of the 10 guys listed in my Nov 5th posting??(BTW for any Aussies out there-we had our first snowfall yesterday here in Toronto)

OK OK great conversations but does anyone know the actual birthdates of the 10 guys listed in my Nov 5th posting??(BTW for any Aussies out there-we had our first snowfall yesterday here in Toronto)

Dick Bradley will be 85 at the end of this month, only one I know sorry, Yvonne.

Chum Taylor - 4 April 1927

Eric Boothroyd - 26 April 1927

That sorts that one out!

Ta much Norbold-anybody know bd of Fred Brand-starghost?? anybody??-btw Vonny if you are Dick's daughter wish him Happy Birthday from me at end of the month- a great rider and a great gentleman.