Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Waterden Road Stadium Demolished.

Have just seen this posetd on the message board of my Hackney site. Gutted.

Posted on October 19, 2003 at 11:59:09 PM by Linda DeBoise

I went down Waterden Road today and there is only a huge pile of bricks where the stadium used to be.What a sin when all that money was spent on building it just a few years ago.I felt like crying and so did my family.

Luckily no-one can take our own personal memories away and I have many happy memories of the old track.

That is so sad to hear, had many happy childhood memories from Waterden Road :cry: Are there any plans for the site?

I was very sad to read this. Having just looked at all the pics on the website of the state the stadium was in i am even sadder now :-(

At least i've got some good memories from there which they can't demolish.

That is so sad to hear, had many happy childhood memories from Waterden Road :cry: Are there any plans for the site?

Olympic lot bought it didnt they ?

terrible news....used to enjoy my fridays there.....

had a lot of fun getting to and from there as well at times!!!!

I am trying to find the time to revamp and update the site. If anyone has anything that I can add to the site, please e-mail me at hackney@graffiti.net.

I am in the process of installing a new Hackney Forum too.

Olympic lot bought it didnt they ?

Has the old stadium been knocked down so they can start building a new one then? As far as I know, Hackney Council will still not allow anything on the site other than a sports stadium.

Has the old stadium been knocked down so they can start building a new one then? As far as I know, Hackney Council will still not allow anything on the site other than a sports stadium.

Easier to get planning change for a flat bit of land isn't it.

Terrible news. :x a place of wonderful childhood memories.

The stadium site was purchased by the London Development Agency and I was told of a local newspaper article a few months ago that reported they wanted to return the stadium to its former use if the Olympic bid failed, looks unlikey that will happen if theres no stadium left.

sad sad day.... i have been going past it for the last three/four years, shedding a few tears, and suddenly i take 6 weeks off, and today its disapeard from the Marshes skyline! absolutely Gutted!! :-( :x :-(

QUOTE ("norbold

Has the old stadium been knocked down so they can start building a new one then? As far as I know @ Hackney Council will still not allow anything on the site other than a sports stadium.

[quote)

Not necessarily. Any change of use would need council permission. Does anyone know what is really happening? What's happened to the Olympic bid? As far as I know it is still the intention for London to put in a bid to hold the Olympics and to use the Hackney site for the main stadium.

QUOTE ("norbold

Has the old stadium been knocked down so they can start building a new one then? As far as I know @ Hackney Council will still not allow anything on the site other than a sports stadium.

[quote)

Not necessarily. Any change of use would need council permission. Does anyone know what is really happening? What's happened to the Olympic bid? As far as I know it is still the intention for London to put in a bid to hold the Olympics and to use the Hackney site for the main stadium.

Sorry to reply to myself, but I have just looked up the British Olympic Committee web site. It is still the intention to use Hackney Stadium and the area round about for the new Olympic Stadium. So hopefully there will be a new stadium arising from the ashes and even more hopefully in time can be used for speedway.

Speedway as an Olympic Sport anyone?

That would be nice Norbold, make the Olympics worth watching then wouldn't it :approve:

QUOTE ("norbold

[quote)

I meant it would be easier to apply pressure to redevlop a bit of waste land than to have a possibly usable stadium sitting there. Would like to think speedway could be hosted in any new development but can you honestly see it ? Besides its rumoured they hope West Ham Football club will move in eventually.