British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ohhyeah

Best Ever Rider.

IF i had to pick 1 it would be per,that seve hardfeldt bloke ive never heard of. :evil:

Nor have I :?:

But Sverre Harrfeldt coulda beat him and woulda been the best, if he hadna ect :!: :P;)

Here we go again, how about Tommy? :)

I feel a bit out of place on here because I was hoping some of you were "oldies" like me. Unfortunately I can remember Norway's Sverre Harrfeldt. :oops: His best performance in a World Final was coming 2nd in 1966.

That's my lot, but I'm sure Norbold will be able to add some more.

I feel a bit out of place on here because I was hoping some of you were "oldies" like me. Unfortunately I can remember Norway's Sverre Harrfeldt. His best performance in a World Final was coming 2nd in 1966.

I've been trying to keep out of this!

As an old West Ham supporter I have a lot of sympathy with those who say our Sverre was the greatest ever. He wasn't of course, but it certainly seemed like it every week at Custom House. I don't think Sverre knew where the inside of the track was or even the middle. For some reason it seemed as though he had to ride with his handlebars touching the fence every race. It was not only spectacular but it worked as he beat all the visiting stars.

But, sadly, the greatest ever, I don't think so...

He's a Gemini - say no more! Young at heart.:D

I read about this in the Speedway Star last week I think (can't find it now!)

He is planning on arriving on his 70th birthday.

Ove Fundin? Now he really was the greatest ever...

Walking to Sweden from the South of France? I used to walk across Hackney Marshes to get to Hackney Stadium. Is that the same thing?

I feel a bit out of place on here because I was hoping some of you were "oldies" like me. Unfortunately I can remember Norway's Sverre Harrfeldt. His best performance in a World Final was coming 2nd in 1966.

I've been trying to keep out of this!

As an old West Ham supporter I have a lot of sympathy with those who say our Sverre was the greatest ever . He wasn't of course, but it certainly seemed like it every week at Custom House. I don't think Sverre knew where the inside of the track was or even the middle. For some reason it seemed as though he had to ride with his handlebars touching the fence every race. It was not only spectacular but it worked as he beat all the visiting stars.

But, sadly, the greatest ever, I don't think so...

I dont think i ever said he was the best ever (perhaps around Custom House). Just the most exicitng!

CHK wrote:

To be fair I only saw Ove Fundin a couple of times at the back end of his career so did not see him at his best !

Barry Briggs impressed me but never inspired me!

I saw Ivan Mauger early in his career and he was always solid! and if leading, normally never beaten!

Ronnie Moore was my favorite of the above just for his style, however IMO Sverre Harrfeldt was the most exciting rider of his day and if he had not had that crash in Poland, could have been one of the great's!

I dont think i ever said he was the best ever (perhaps around Custom House). Just the most exicitng!

Well, I think we can certainly agree on that one...although there was Christer Lofqvist of course...

Well, I think we can certainly agree on that one...although there was Christer Lofqvist of course...

Never quite the same for me :!:

Mind you nor was Sverre after Poland :-( :cry:

Guest DaveC

Judging from what I've read/been told/seen pictures of etc probably some of the Greatest Riders are those no longer with us.

My own personal favourite who I would have loved to have seen ride would have been Tom Farndon. I have lots of pictures of him which I purchased from John Chaplin and he is my ultimate Speedway Rider hero.

Judging from what I've read/been told/seen pictures of etc probably some of the Greatest Riders are those no longer with us.

My own personal favourite who I would have loved to have seen ride would have been Tom Farndon. I have lots of pictures of him which I purchased from John Chaplin and he is my ultimate Speedway Rider hero.

You and me both, Dave C. But that's what comes of proudly sporting the Maltese Cross....

Seriously though' date=' I wonder what the origins of using such a cross were on the New Cross race jackets :?:[/quote']

New CROSS maybe?

Well, I assume New Cross adopted a cross as its body colour because of the name and a Maltese Cross looks better tha just a plain x

Norbold am i right in saying New Cross used to wear an Iron cross on their race jacket befor the war :?: also was the jacket the same colour :?:

Yes it was more like an iron cross before the war. The colours were the same. The colour I have on this forum is the pre war design.