British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ohhyeah

Best Ever Rider.

Ah Tommy Jansson. I used to adore Tommy Jansson as a kid. I recently got hold of a video of the 1974 (or was it 1975) World Team Cup final and the very first shot was of him putting his face mask on. I'd say the current rider he most reminded me of would be Leigh Adams, so my theory is if Leigh ever becomes World Champ then Tommy would have done too. Bit flimsy I know, but it's just my little way of deciding.

Without doubt Per Jonsson.

Holla if ya hear me :approve:

Ah Tommy Jansson. I used to adore Tommy Jansson as a kid. I recently got hold of a video of the 1974 (or was it 1975) World Team Cup final and the very first shot was of him putting his face mask on. I'd say the current rider he most reminded me of would be Leigh Adams, so my theory is if Leigh ever becomes World Champ then Tommy would have done too. Bit flimsy I know, but it's just my little way of deciding.

I agree with all you say about Tommy J - but maybe a better way of judging if he'd have won the World Championship is this - at the time both Tommy and PC were outstanding prospects and had very similar careers up to then - PC went on to win in, therefore I'm certain Tommy would have too.

Agreed, though as great as PC was, and the raw talent he had, he didnt come close to Tommy in that department. He was certainly a hard act to follow. He was a tenacious competitor, great balance a bit like Christer Lofqvist and Kelly Moran but was pretty tall. Amazing to watch, Very quiet spoken and popular especially with the ladies. Certainly with luck would have been champ.

I accept that they had contrasting styles, but my point was they were both the most outstanding prospects of that time, and had it not been for accidents (a tragic one in Tommy's case) would have gone on to grace many more World Finals.

Yeah but with a bit of seasoning, and bar the tragedy, a bit of luck, and not being disrepectful to PC, who by the way really got good when the tracks were heavy and rough, I just feel that Tommy was just a bit better in most ways. Where as PC was something special in his time, he still didnt have the raw talent and disipline that Jansson had. Very few did. One reasons the Swedes are so good I believe is because they are a bit calculating, pressure doesnt exist with them. Every other countries has the emotion, flamboyance, and live life to the fullest attitude, which is good sometimes and is fun to watch, but talent all being equal, the Swedes win hands down because they tend to parse pressure. I am probably waffling, and not making sense. PC should have won 2 or 3 Finals. Had Tommy lived he would have done it. Sandman .

The best was Electric Eric Gunderson the black country Dane,who may i take this oportunity of wishing him all the best with his health,and new career. ;-) ;-)

The best was Electric Eric Gunderson the black country Dane,who may i take this oportunity of wishing him all the best with his health,and new career. ;-)  ;-)

I should think everyone on the forum will echo your future wishes for Erik.

To be fair I only saw Ove Fundin a couple of times at the back end of his career so did not see him at his best !

Barry Briggs impressed me but never inspired me!

I saw Ivan Mauger early in his career and he was always solid! and if leading, normally never beaten!

Ronnie Moore was my favorite of the above just for his style, however IMO Sverre Harrfeldt was the most exciting rider of his day and if he had not had that crash in Poland, could have been one of the great's!

jblanch69 wrote:-

With respect the thread is who was the best rider ever, yes?

Could have been, would have been, should have been, might have been..

I could have been the King of England.

Ye'r fair comment :approve: your Majesty :!: ;)

Topic however,very subjective, who rode in what era, how many titles won, World Champs, Gran Prixs Etc.

So Must be Tony Rickardsson! Best at present, still riding, most titles

and will probably still win more!

Sverre Harrfeldt would have given him a run for his money though! ;):D

So Must be Tony Rickardsson most titles

Oops... think I'd better give Ivan a call and let him know

everyone knows Tony still has a few Titles yet to come? :!:

I never saw him but I always think Ove Fundin appeared to do it in a time when there were other riders around who won multiple titles. I just think his 5 seems more impressive than his rivals. In amongst his 5 other winners were Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore and Peter Craven who all won more than one title.

Ivan did have Ole Olsen around and has won 6 titles so it is hard to argue if people call him the greatest.

Rickardsson is absolute quality and I have a feeling he will end up winning more than anybody. But I have said it before and I'll say it again now - I don't believe he has had any genuine and consistent 100% world class opposition. Also it is easier for him to win, as the top rider of his day, because of the GP series. All that said he can only win what is put in front of him and he's done it 5 times already so he has to be considered as an all time great.

I think Hans Nielsen is the other name I would really put up there as I think he missed a few titles because his time crossed with Erik Gundersen. Also he seemed to go off the boil for a few years after Erik's crash which may have just affected the mental strength which you needed for a one off title. He would surely have done better with a GP series and he was also the best rider in 1983 when a German rider won in Germany before doing nothing else in speedway - draw your own conclusions???

Barry Briggs won 4 and surely Erik Gundersen, who was perhaps the best one-off meeting rider I ever saw, would have won more if not for his injury. I think Hans was the master professional but Erik always appeared to have more natural talent to me.

Throw in Michael Lee as possibly the best natural talent ever and Bruce Penhall - what would have happened if his time had crossed with Gundersen and Nielsen???

Basically I have completely avoided the question I think so I will do a 1 to 5, in the order I would place them - which I appreciate you might not agree with of course!!!

Ove Fundin

Hans Nielsen

Ivan Mauger

Tony Rickardsson

Erik Gundersen

PS: just popping my Dukes tinted glasses on - can I change my vote to Kenny Carter as the best rider never to win a world title?!?!?