Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 34

For those eagerly awaiting our next issue, here's a sneak preview of what's in store in issue 34:

BRUCE PENHALL on Kenny Carter (seriously no-holds barred stuff from the American)

MALCOLM SIMMONS column - more hard-hitting, no-nonsense stuff from Super Simmo, who, as usual, tells it like it is.

ROGER JOHNS - exclusive, in-depth interview.

LAURIE ETHERIDGE - on his NNLRC victory in '75.

JOHN LOUIS - time the 'Tiger' was honoured.

LEN SILVER - on his sacking (1976) and resignation (1981) as England team manager.

RADFORD'S TRAVELS - Bob takes us on a return trip to Canterbury, Castleford, Coatbridge, Coventry, Costa Mesa, Cradley, Crewe, Dackarna (Malilla), Elgane, Eastbourne, Ellesmere Port, Exeter and Fredericia.

WORLD FINAL or GP SERIES?

John Berry and Tony Mac re-write history and predict how GP series throughout the 70s could have turned out. How many wins for Ivan, Ole, Mich, PC and co.?

Edited by tmc

Can't wait for my copy to through the post, Tony.

Nice to see a article on Roger Johns, a true Wimbledon legend :)

Will there be a second installment of the 1970s magazine soon ?

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Oct 8 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't wait for my copy to through the post, Tony.

Nice to see a article on Roger Johns, a true Wimbledon legend :)

Will there be a second installment of the 1970s magazine soon ?

Good to hear. Yes, it's about time we interviewed Roger - what a loyal servant he was to the Dons and always good value. He must have been the first rider to be sponsored by an Indian restaurant and I recall some great nights with him and a group of friends (inc the Tatum brothers) down at the Somraz Tandoori in Worcester Park after Thursday night home meetings at Plough Lane. Wonder if the Somraz is still going?

We have no immediate plans to produce Part 2 of the 70s mag. To be honest, we'd hoped Part 1 would have sold better than it has and we have to look closely at whether a second instalment would be worth it - especially in the current climate. Never say never, but not in the immediate future.

Watch out, though, for a big announcement soon about our next DVD...

Good to hear. Yes, it's about time we interviewed Roger - what a loyal servant he was to the Dons and always good value. He must have been the first rider to be sponsored by an Indian restaurant and I recall some great nights with him and a group of friends (inc the Tatum brothers) down at the Somraz Tandoori in Worcester Park after Thursday night home meetings at Plough Lane. Wonder if the Somraz is still going?

We have no immediate plans to produce Part 2 of the 70s mag. To be honest, we'd hoped Part 1 would have sold better than it has and we have to look closely at whether a second instalment would be worth it - especially in the current climate. Never say never, but not in the immediate future.

Watch out, though, for a big announcement soon about our next DVD...

Really looking forward to the Malcolm Simmons column, I thought it was excellent and very current, I hope the Bruce Penhall one is better, either way I look forward to this excellent publication.

WORLD FINAL or GP SERIES?

John Berry and Tony Mac re-write history and predict how GP series throughout the 70s could have turned out. How many wins for Ivan, Ole, Mich, PC and co.?

Tony, did you notice the lively debate taking place in the Years Gone By section? :wink:

For the 1970s I went for:

1970: Ivan Mauger

1971: Ivan Mauger

1972: Ole Olsen

1973: Ivan Mauger

1974: Ivan Mauger

1975: Ivan Mauger

1976: Peter Collins

1977: Ole Olsen

1978: Ole Olsen

1979: Michael Lee

I'll be interested to see who you guys came up with.

All the best

Rob

1973: Ivan Mauger

Anders Michanek won everything in 1973 (expect one-off World Final). In a Grand Prix format he would have been a good bet to have won the World Championship that year.

Edited by AndyP

Anders Michanek won everything in 1973 (expect one-off World Final). In a Grand Prix format he would have been a good bet to have won the World Championship that year.

Andy, there's no doubt Mich's league form was exceptional, BUT:

1. He scored only 6 points in the World Final in Katowice.

2. When the chips were down, Peter Collins bested him twice in vital run-offs (Daily Mirror Tournament and KOC Final).

Mauger was the dominant force from 1968 to 1975 - the only rider who could have touched him over a 11-round GP series during this time would have been Ole Olsen.

All the best

Rob

Surely the wonderful Jerzy Sczakiel would have prevailed even in the GP format . His rolling starts would have made him unbeatable on those slick tracks . :wink:

As they say "good things come to those who wait" :D

For those eagerly awaiting our next issue, here's a sneak preview of what's in store in issue 34:

Many thanks for interviewing Roger the Dodger, such a popular rider around Plough Lane. :)

You've made one proud Dons fan very happy!

Many thanks for interviewing Roger the Dodger, such a popular rider around Plough Lane. :)

You've made one proud Dons fan very happy!

And Roger was, of course, most famous for being brother of Crayford's very own Alan....!! :approve:

You KNEW I'd be posting that...!!! :wink:

And Roger was, of course, most famous for being brother of Crayford's very own Alan....!! :approve:

You KNEW I'd be posting that...!!! :wink:

Around 2005 when I was last back in the UK I ran in to Alan Johns by chance at his shop Alan Johns products in Lakedale Road , I think London SE18. A grasstrack bike in the window tempted me in for a look. Alan was very charming and chatty and his trade mark from the 70,s the bushy beard had gone, so he looked young for a fifty something!

This gets me buying this edition, top stuff.

An excellant read as always.

Once I start my wife and kids know I'll be quiet for a while.

Issue 34 of speedway’s favourite retro magazine is out now!

Here’s what we have for you in another nostalgia-packed edition:

WORLD FINAL versus GRAND PRIX

As the 2009 season comes to a close and Jason Crump celebrates his third well-earned Grand Prix world title, we re-visit the ongoing debate about the respective merits or otherwise of the traditional World Final and the modern GP, and its damaging effect on the domestic scene in Britain.

Our resident ‘experts’ John Berry and Tony Mac also examine how history could have been re-written. They look back on the 10 World Finals of the 70s and assess who would probably have won the title each year had the current GP series applied then. How many titles would Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen, Peter Collins, Anders Michanek and Malcolm Simmons, etc, really have won under this formula compared to the knockout-style format that was abandoned by the FIM after 1994? It’s controversial, thought-provoking . . . so check it out and see if you agree with their conclusions.

BRUCE PENHALL

‘Juicy Brucie’ is back with his second column all the way from sunny California. But what the double World Champion has to say about former England No.1 and his biggest rival Kenny Carter in this issue will no doubt cause a storm around Halifax and throughout West Yorkshire.

The American is scathing in his highly personal condemnation of Carter for murdering his wife Pam in 1986.

He also has the final world on their explosive Heat 14 World Final clash at the LA Coliseum in 1982 that still provokes strong argument among fans all over the world today.

And Penhall also questions Ivan Mauger’s motives in agreeing to become Carter’s business manager and mentor for the 1981 and ’82 finals.

MALCOLM SIMMONS

Our other big-name columnist is, as usual, no less hard-hitting. Dismayed by the poor standard of racing at many GPs this season, Simmo asks why the elite riders have not got together and threatened strike action over slick track conditions.

In a critical analysis of Tai Woffinden, he also doubts whether England’s great new hope for future glory is ready to have a crack at the GP series as early as 2010.

And with typical controversy, the former England and Poole skipper is calling for regular testing of the GP stars’ engines to dispel growing rumours that there are some ‘big’ engines out there.

WORLD OF DIFFERENCE

Much travelled journalist Richard Bott, who covered speedway for the national press, reflects on his eventful trips to Poland and Sweden to cover World Finals in the 70s and how conditions then were so much harder than they are in the modern world of laptops, the internet and mobile phones.

ROGER JOHNS

Moore, Briggs, How and Hedge are all Wimbledon living legends . . . and so too is Roger Johns. Martin Neal catches up with the former Dons skipper to find out what he made of his time at Plough Lane, as well as his spells in the second tier with Eastbourne and Rye House.

LEN SILVER

To coincide with the launch of his new book, As Luck Would Have It (Retro Speedway £15.00), we present en edited extract covering Len’s two spells as England team manager. He explains the problems that led up to his sacking in 1976 and his resignation in disgust in 1981.

JOHN LOUIS

To mark ‘Tiger’ John’s 40 years in speedway, his former Ipswich promoter John Berry pays tribute to the rock on which the Witches were built and says why it’s time the town’s most famous shale star was honoured for his loyal services.

Plus...Laurie Etheridge recalls his biggest night in speedway, when his NNLRC victory at Wimbledon put Crayford Kestrels on the map in 1975 . . . Phil Collins reveals his new hobby in the USA . . . Bob Radford continues on his global travels . . . and we’ve a Q&A with ex-Peterborough and Coventry star Kevin Hawkins, as well as your letters and more.

http://www.retro-speedway.com/

Edited by tmc