British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 34

Having read the "article" by Penhall about Kenny Carter he has gone down in my estimation. He proved to be a coward at White City and again shows his cowardice in commenting about the deaths of the Carters. His comments are in my opinion sick. However being realistic or some my say cynical I suppose its good publicity for TMC especially considering there is a full page advert for the book about Kenny Carter. His comments about Ivan Mauger too smacked of sour grapes as looking back on his "career" he took the easy option after two World Titles and was never a match for Ivan as a person

One further comment on Backtrack / Classic why is some much of the content rehashed from one mag to the other. Personally I am considering not bothering with one of the two in future

Edited by westhamboy66

One further comment on Backtrack / Classic why is some much of the content rehashed from one mag to the other. Personally I am considering not bothering with one of the two in future

Bruce Penhall is, of course, entitled to his opinion - just like you and the rest of us. Bruce was specifically asked to write about his rivalry with Kenny (not, as you suggest, to sell copies of our KC book - it's been advertised for the past two years and the book is about to sell out of its second print run), because to have avoided the issue would have been a total nonsense.

Cowardice? Whether or not you happen to agree with his views about Kenny or Ivan Mauger, many would appreciate Bruce's honesty.

However, what concerns me more is your totally inacurrate and potentially misleading observation about the content of our magazines?

Whilst we, quite naturally, cross-promote the availability of Backtrack and Classic in each magazine, in the form of a subscriptions advert, we do not duplicate editorial content and have a very clearly defined policy.

Backtrack focuses specifically on the period 1970-90.

Classic covers pre-70s, but with emphasis on the 60s and post-war era.

But then 99.9% of our readers already know this. Give me strength...

Edited by tmc

I've just bought my first copy of Backtrack, namely on the back of the interview with Roger Johns.

Whilst that was a good read, I was disappointed with the article written by Richard Bott. The part based on Katowice 1973 was a literal word for word copy of something I'd read by Mr Bott in the Champions Book of Speedway series some 36 years ago!

Next time, can you attribute the original publication with a credit?

Why do you people buy a magazine you so clearly hate ?

For my part i think that all of Retro publications are extremely well written and presented, and are largely unbiased.

I just received a large bundle of books, magazines and DVD's all hastily dispatched for me to Canada at a very reasonable rate.

I cannot speak highly enough of the excellent service i have always received from the people at Backtrack.

They have allowed me to to revisit so many happy experiences from my youth, with interviews and articles from all of the tracks and personalties of the period. Thanks Tony, keep up the good work it is widely appreciated by many people all around the world and around the corner.

Having read the "article" by Penhall about Kenny Carter he has gone down in my estimation. He proved to be a coward at White City and again shows his cowardice in commenting about the deaths of the Carters. His comments are in my opinion sick. However being realistic or some my say cynical I suppose its good publicity for TMC especially considering there is a full page advert for the book about Kenny Carter. His comments about Ivan Mauger too smacked of sour grapes as looking back on his "career" he took the easy option after two World Titles and was never a match for Ivan as a person

If you dont like Penhall now why dont you go and buy the Penhall book. 'Penhall World Speedway Champion'. And I guarantee you will hate his guts :lol: that book is a disgrace to the sport and sports writing for ever will be damaged. I think I will burn my copy as noone would buy it back thats for sure and it has made me that angry that it would seem fitting. Penhall is not a sportsmans bootlace.

If you dont like Penhall now why dont you go and buy the Penhall book. 'Penhall World Speedway Champion'. And I guarantee you will hate his guts :lol: that book is a disgrace to the sport and sports writing for ever will be damaged. I think I will burn my copy as noone would buy it back thats for sure and it has made me that angry that it would seem fitting. Penhall is not a sportsmans bootlace.

Do you want to try and give any reasons for your hatred of Penhall and why the book is such a "disgrace"? Can't see there is enough in it to justify such a reaction...

Not read the "Penhall World Champion" book for a while but seem to remember it being "Bruce did this, Bruce rode here and scored whatever, then Bruce did that", etc. Don't rate it all, "Stars And Bikes" from 1980 or so is much better.

While it is interesting to read Penhall's own personal thoughts on Carter, he is enitled to his own opinion of course, it is puzzling that he should write "I have nothing to say in regard to KC' then he goes on about him for several paragraphs. He should either say what he thinks about Carter or not though I do hope he now leaves that particular subject behind and writes about other riders, meetings, etc....

Much of the criticism aimed at Bruce Penhall on here has been over the top, unjustified and, in one or two cases, moronic.

I’ll say nothing about the Penhall book because it has nothing to do with us, other than to make it clear that Retro Speedway didn’t publish it, but as far as his comments in his Backtrack column are concerned...

The man really can’t win, can he? If he had said nothing about Kenny Carter and his previous hostile relationship with him, then people would probably have accused him of avoiding the issue and ‘being boring’.

It wasn't a case of Bruce wanting to use his new column to have another pop at Carter. I specifically asked him to tell our readers how he feels now about Carter because, whether you agree with him or not, people are interested in what he has to say about one of the most talked-about and volatile rivalries in speedway history.

So he comes out and says, with complete honesty, what he really thought of Kenny, and people condemn him for it. It was obvious that his views would not go down well with Kenny’s supporters. What did they expect him to say?: ‘Yeah, as everyone knows, I hated him really, but as he’s now dead, I suppose he wasn’t such a bad bloke after all.' I applaud Penhall’s honesty in standing by his opinions on Carter and also in what he said about Ivan Mauger’s motives for attaching himself to Kenny.

As for those who have whined that Kenny has no opportunity to respond to Bruce’s comments, well perhaps they should remind themselves why that is the case. Bruce’s anger towards Carter is fuelled not just by their aggressive on-track feud, but even more so by the tragedy that devastated two families, led to the cruel death of the defenceless Pam Carter and left their two children without parents.

People also like to throw the 1982 White City ‘race’ back at Bruce, as if it was the biggest treachery ever enacted in speedway. Take it as fact, some riders who have won as much - and more - as Penhall did in the sport have done equally dubious things to serve their own needs – and, in some cases, much worse. But you won’t read about them anywhere because they will never be proven or acknowledged by those concerned.

Again, BP has been castigated for his honesty. He could have gone out for that heat 19 of the Overseas Final, feigned machine failure, broken the tapes or just pulled up for no obvious reason (as many others did over the years without drawing accusations of ‘fix’), but he chose the honest (but very naive) route...just stayed out of the way with the aim of helping as many of his fellow Americans through to the first US-staged World Final and even admitted doing so on national television immediately afterwards.

His naivety was in making it look TOO obvious, by badly missing the gate and then pulling wheelies while at the back. He probably thought that even though he was not legitimately competing to gain any points from the race, he would at least trying to offer the crowd some form of showmanship and entertainment. He clearly misjudged the mood and reaction of the British public but don’t accuse him of being a coward or selfish.

All he did, in allowing three fellow Americans to finish ahead of him, was the same as many others did before and after him under the old World Championship formula, where favours were freely traded among riders along the route to the final, and at the world final itself. The purists can bury their heads in the sand but, as Simmo has made clear, it DID go on.

In doing what he did (and I’m not saying for one minute that we should applaud him for it, because it was clearly not in the sport’s best interests), Penhall also sacrificed a little personal glory that day, because he could have won the meeting.

You can imagine that if he had ignored the bigger picture – ie, the Yanks wanted as many of their own boys through to LA as possible to boost the appeal of the World Final that year – and instead gone on to win the OF, he would have been hammered for being selfish, arrogant and uncaring about his fellow countrymen and USA team-mates.

In response to Martin M’s comments above, yes Bruce will be moving on in his next column, in which he talks affectionately about his former Cradley team-mate Erik Gundersen and also Michael Lee, the rider he feared most. Oh, and he'll also tell you about the phone call he received from Ivan Mauger following his last Backtrack column.

Does anyone have any constructive thoughts about what, or who, they would like Bruce (or Simmo) to discuss in their future Backtrack columnns?....

Edited by tmc

I for one fully endorse Tony Mac's comments above. It would have been easy for Bruce to have sat on the fence and made bland comments about his feelings for Kenny, but to his credit he has been honest and I think should be praised for that.

There was clearly a lot of mutual dislike between the two of them and it would be hypocritical to deny that.

Future columns...

As a Cradley fan I would obviously like to hear as many stories and anecdotes from Bruce's time at the 'Wood. I also watched Simmo during his time at Plough Lane and would like to hear more about his time there. Simmo covered a lot of his career in his book so I would be interested to hear more about what he thinks about the state of the sport today and what the future holds for domestic Speedway.

Off the top of my head I'd like Bruce to discuss:

Favourite tracks/opponents.

1970's: Briggs/Mauger World Championship Tours; Israel, South Africa, NZ, USA v Rest Of The World, riding every meet against World Champions; Briggs, Mauger, Fundin, Olsen, etc.

1978: If he hadn't joined Cradley Heath which other British League club would he have considered? And why not Hull, LOL!

1979 World Pairs, Vojens: when none of Bruce's partners made it and effectively competed alone, albeit with a non-scoring Danish reserve.

1979 Hull: how did it feel winning the KO Cup v the Vikings.

1980 World Final, Gothenburg : with a film crew in his face seemingly 24/7 how it affected his build up.

1981 World Final, Wembley: at what point, prior to the event, was he sure he would win it?

1982: His feelings toward the USA winning a clean sweep (?) of World Titles & Bobby Schwatrz & Dennis Sigalos winning the World Pairs without him.

His working relationship with the above and other USA riders.

1983 World Final, Norden: had he not retired could he have given Egon Muller a run for his money?

1980's: Could he have challenged Erik Gundersen & Hans Nielsen?

1980's: If Hollywood hadn't come-a-knocking and he'd taken time out to recover from reported 'speedway burn out', how much longer would he have ridden? Any more World Titles?...

Edited by Martin Mauger

Why do you people buy a magazine you so clearly hate ?

For my part i think that all of Retro publications are extremely well written and presented, and are largely unbiased.

I just received a large bundle of books, magazines and DVD's all hastily dispatched for me to Canada at a very reasonable rate.

I cannot speak highly enough of the excellent service i have always received from the people at Backtrack.

They have allowed me to to revisit so many happy experiences from my youth, with interviews and articles from all of the tracks and personalties of the period. Thanks Tony, keep up the good work it is widely appreciated by many people all around the world and around the corner.

I could NOT agree more. I have every issue safely stowed away. I look forward with GREAT anticipation to when the next one is due out and wait for it dropping through my Letter Box. This goes for BOTH BackTrack and Classic by the way. I have relived so many memories through these Magazines it is unreal. Tony and Suzie - PLEASE keep up the good work, standard of production and care for your Customers. Thank you for that. As an aside - the BSPA could learn a lot from yourselves about dealing with the public.

Regarding the Bruce Penhall Articles - I must say that I have not been impressed with him. I thought his first piece was very lightweight and in his second he comes across, to me, as a very bitter man.

Malcolm Simmons however is worth the Cover Price alone for his Articles - I also hope that Rod Haynes reappears - his comments were always worth reading too.

If I had to choose between reading Penhall or Haynes - I would go for Haynes EVERY time.

As a Kings Lynn fan it would be interesting to hear a little bit more what Malcolm Simmons thought about Maury Littlechild, he was very popular amongst riders and promoters, but we have never heard much more than he was a good bloke, be interesting to hear a little more. Also Cyril Crane, Malcolm didnt appear to get along with him very well, neither did Dave Jessup it seems, did Simmo ever go to one of Cyril's infamous party's ? What was Cyril really like ?

Kings Lynn were well supported in the seventies, but where were the biggest crowds ? Poole, Belle Vue, were Newport's the worst ?

What was it like when the machinery changed, be interesting to hear Malcolms thought's on JAP,Jawa,Weslake, Godden and GM, he probably rode them all.

As a Kings Lynn fan it would be interesting to hear a little bit more what Malcolm Simmons thought about Maury Littlechild, he was very popular amongst riders and promoters, but we have never heard much more than he was a good bloke, be interesting to hear a little more. Also Cyril Crane, Malcolm didnt appear to get along with him very well, neither did Dave Jessup it seems, did Simmo ever go to one of Cyril's infamous party's ? What was Cyril really like ?

Kings Lynn were well supported in the seventies, but where were the biggest crowds ? Poole, Belle Vue, were Newport's the worst ?

What was it like when the machinery changed, be interesting to hear Malcolms thought's on JAP,Jawa,Weslake, Godden and GM, he probably rode them all.

Give him time, give him time. I am sure that Malcolm will be covering loads of things in future issues. :approve::approve:

If you haven't already done so, treat yourself to Simmo's great DVD set.

He speaks about his days at Lynn and the Littlechilds on there.

Its a great set and Thanks must go to Simmo for being brave and honest

enough to do that for the public.

Thoroughly enjoyed the DVD's and also the issue of Backtrack under discussion

on this thread.

Bruce Penhall may not be everyones cup of tea, but he has told it as he see's it,

regarding Kenny Carter, you can't knock the guy for that.

Like Bruce, I could never forgive Kenny for what he did that fateful day, but by the

same token, I was and still am a fan of Kenny Carter the speedway rider.

The guy had the world at his feet, but those personal demons got the better of

him in the end and he ruined four lives that day, lets not forget that fact.

Some of the comments on here are bordering on the moronic, everyone has a right

to have their say, but lets not crucify one guy, just because his views on what

happened differ from yours.

As for Backtrack, keep it coming. I love the magazine, its contributors and am

going to treat myself to a subscription within the next month or so, when I get

my finances sorted a bit better.

One thing that doesn't appear to have been mentioned from this issue is the

call for John Louis to be honoured officially for his services to British Speedway.

John Berry has it spot on in my opinion, its about time JL was given an MBE or

OBE, something to honour the guy for his 40 years in the sport, as a rider,

team manager and now promoter at Ipswich.

One question I would ask is, How do you go about getting someone nominated

for an honour such as an OBE or MBE?