British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Marty

Bordertown Solo Championship-South Aust 20/12/03

Bordertown Solo Championship

The Bordertown Solo Championship will be held at the Bordertown Speedway on Dec the 20th. This will be the 1st time that the bikes have been back on the track in 20 years. Also on the program will be the Tatiara Sidecar Cup, Young Gun Solo's & 250cc Junior Solo's.

The Championship will be run with a 12 rider line up contesting 4 heats each, the top point scorer for the night will transfer directly into the final, with the next 8 being split into 2 semi finals and the 1st two from each semi transferring to the 5 rider final. The line up will consist of International riders up to English Premier League standard with the inclusion of local & interstate riders. Also on the program to keep the crowd entertained will be 2 Freestyle MX demonstrations. Bordertown is situated on the main Adelaide to Melbourne Highway (Dukes) & is 10 Km on the S.A. side of the Border. The track is on the Highway as you enter the town.

All the action starts at 7 pm with full catering & bar facilities. Many thanks must go to the Bordertown Speedway for making this event possible.

Hi everyone, the above event is one that I have been working on for about 8 months now & is my 1st (could be last :lol: ) effort at promoting an event. Everything is finally falling into place & just hope to put an all action show on for the crowd.

Sir Lunchalot has kindly helped support a couple of races & would like to use the Forum name for the races. So I will have a minimum of 2 races named after the Forum, put an add for the Forum in the program & will also have the Forum name on the posters.

All overseas Forum members will get in FREE :)

Even Bryn, as he's commentating, for a bottle of Bundy (I hope)

Wish me bloody Luck.

No rain,no rain,no rain,no rain,no rain !!!

Mark

I'll be there Mark. It's turned ruddy cold over here in the last few days so am about to book my flight as I've decided that "I don't do cold!" Besides which, as I frequently tell you lot down under, I've got to come back to see if the place has improved! :evil: :P

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Even Bryn, as he's commentating, for a bottle of Bundy (I hope) Mark

I heard the asking price was a six pack of Bundy & coke !!

(Mark, do you think Bryn is playing each of us off against the other to get the best deal ?)

Even Bryn, as he's commentating, for a bottle of Bundy (I hope) Mark

I heard the asking price was a six pack of Bundy & coke !!

(Mark, do you think Bryn is playing each of us off against the other to get the best deal ?)

What say I buy the coke ???

The field for the Bordertown Championship is beginning to take shape with some top names agreeing to ride. These include Shane Parker, Kevin Doolan, Rusty Harrison, Matthew Wethers plus a couple of other international riders who still might ride. Also a stack of local & interstate riders ready to take the battle up to them. This is turning out to be a great line up for a small country venue that hasn't seen the bikes for 20 years.

All the action is on the 20th of December starting at 7pm

Bordertown is situated on the main Adelaide to Melbourne Hwy (Dukes) & is about 10 km on the Adelaide side of the Border

they may well be considered outsiders but already I'll be shouting for Matthew and Kevin from afar!

Matthew its obvious why but Kevin its because of his never say die attitude. He was unbelieveable last year and I reckon they should be playing Chumbawumba's Tub Thumping as his song at meetings!

So come on guys lets have an Edinburgh-Glasgow 1-2 (in that order of course ;) )

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Does "Tub Thumping" keep the rain away Lioness ?

Here is the forecast for the Bordertown area for Saturday (it's Friday lunchtime now). It's been a hot week early on (mid to high 30's) but has become very unsettled over the last day or two.

"SOUTH EAST DISTRICT

Saturday : Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the early hours of the morning, chiefly in the north. Mainly fine during the day apart from possible isolated showers and thunderstorms later. Remaining humid, mild near southern coasts, grading to hot in the north. Moderate to fresh northeast to southeast winds and fresh sea breezes."

Any help with keeping the rain away will be appreciated. Anyone with a favour due to them from the big guy above contact Marty ASAP. Any denomination accepted.

Marty, I've got my fingers crossed for you mate !!

Like Lunchy, I've got my fingers crossed as far as the weather goes for tomorrow Marty! I've also got a couple of other things crossed too as I've just finished the last tinnie of Bundy & coke out of the fridge here at Matt Jones's place in downtown Melton!

Here's looking forward to a great night at Bordertown and a sell out crowd! Anyone else coming over from Blighty??? :wink::rolleyes:B)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys-enjoy the meeting!

:D

Good Luck Matthew and Kevin!

Having typed out a report on last night's meeting only to press the wrong damn key and delete it all in error (!!!) here's my second go at things! My excuse is that I didn't get back "home" here to Melton (West of Melbourne) until 5am this morn. And, no doubt, forum member Marty (who put together the whole show) is feeling a damn sight more cream crackered than I am at the moment!

Despite that I'm thrilled to report that the eight months of hard graft Marty put into organising the meeting paid off brilliantly with what was described as "the biggest crowd seen here for over 15 years" by a Bordertown Speedway Club official, witnessing a tremendous night of action.

The "main event" was the 12 rider 'Bordertown Solo Championship' and the five man final saw Kevin Doolan take out the victory ahead of Brett Woodifield, Shane (Mc)Parker, Nathan Hedley and Matthew Wethers (in that order). Woodifield was the top qualifier from the heats dropping his only point when Shane Parker passed the ex-Rye House Rocket after Brett suffered a rear wheel puncture whilst leading.

Surprisingly, chatting to the riders at the Barby afterwards, neither meeting winner Kevin Doolan nor Brett Woodifield have 2004 British berths fixed up as yet. Brett has 'one or two irons in the fire' but "Kev the Rev" hasn't had a single approach as yet...surely that will soon change given the excellent job he did for Glasgow last season and his current brilliant form out here?

Heavy overnight rain that fell on the clay-based circuit had put the meeting in doubt at one stage but Marty and his helpers worked their proverbial socks off to ensure (er much to Marty's relief I think!) that it went ahead and the weather gods smiled too with a very warm evening ensuing.

Although (thanks to the overnight rain) the clay track may have not been ideal for bike racing (the circuit is normally used for car racing), the riders taking part (in all sections) put on a fabulous show and it was a privilege and a pleasure for myself to announce at the meeting.

The big croiwd got a taster of what was to come throughout the evening in the very first race of the night as Parker and Doolan passed and repassed each other as they battled for second place behind the fast-starting Woodifield.

That set the tone for the rest of the night and not one spectator left the circuit until after the very last race of a packed programme. The one surprise really was Shane Parker landing on his backside whilst leading on heat, remounting only to finish last!

In addition to the main Solo Champiionship, there was also a six rider "Young Guns" series involving the up & coming stars which saw Brock Gates go through the card unbeaten to win from Tyron Proctor and Hayden Redding. Edinburgh / Armadale fans will be interested to learn that Keith Maben (currently out here on holiday) competed in two of the "Young Guns" races but failed to finish on both occasions.

There was also a sidecar series of races which saw Kane Irwin and passenger Josh hayes take out the final; A brilliant series of races involving members of the Sidewinders Club (the under 15s) which saw Jonathan Hepburn emerge victorious ahead of "Stormin" Jason Norman (nephew of ex-Peterborough Panther) and forum member Marty's own son Sam (who's following in 'dear old dad's footseps') Martin.

What else? Well a 'fun demonstration' by three riders of the Fast 50s (or monkey bikes as we call 'em in the UK) AND an appearance by a certain white-bearded, red-coated gentleman aboard a speedway bike.

During the interval, the pits area was opened up to the public, posters were handed out to the kids in the crowd and the riders all made themselves available to chat to all and sundry and sign autographs.

It was a great night all round and my question to Marty is....er....when's the next one mate????

Finally, the last I saw of that other forum member Sir Lunchalot he was scoffing a couple of sausages in bread, with a couple of cans of VB by his side at the after-meeting barby...just hope he got up early enough this morn to catch his train home! :unsure::wink:

HEAT SCORES FROM THE SOLO CHAMPIONSHIP (in riding order):

Brett Woodifield 11

Kevin Doolan 9

Ford Keane 5

Shane Parker 7

Nathan Hedley 9

Matthew Wethers 10

Cory Gathercole 3

Robert Ksiezak 5

Karlis Ezergailis 6

Matt Jones 2

Ashley Watson 3

Arlo Bugeja 2

Edited by Bryn

Thanks Bryn.

Sounds like a successful night.

Congratulations to Marty, glad all the hard work payed off.

By the way Bryn, are you heading up to Queensland this year?

Yep BrizHeathen, I'm flying up to Brisbane on Wednesday Jan 7 to take in the first round of the Oz Champs on Sat 10...will also be doing the other two rounds (Gosford & Mildura) on the following two Saturdays.