British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Marty

Bordertown Solo Championship-South Aust 20/12/03

Congratulations to Kevin Doolan on the win :)

Great report as always Bryn and very well done Marty on putting everything together. Hope you are off enjoying some well earned relaxation!

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Hardly anything left to add after Bryn has had a go !!! Serves me right for letting Bryn get home before me.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable evening. The weather gods sure did smile on the promoter as it rained heavily on Saturday morning but stopped soon enough for the track to be able to be got into some sort of reasonable condition. A lovely fine evening for the meeting with most of the crowd in shorts and T shirts all night. Then mid morning Sunday it absolutely bucketed down !! It rained long and hard and Marty should be buying a lotto ticket the luck he had.

I too had a quick chat to Kevin Doolan during the interval. Even though he realises the fickleness of getting into a team each year he is still remaining very positive. In his words "When I get picked for a team next season I'm going to kick .... errrr no can't say that on a family forum, lets say he is extremely determined to do well for whoever snaps him up. If last night was anything to go by people could do a lot worse.

I did catch up with a bleary eyed promoter on Sunday morning who camped overnight at the track and who sheepishly admitted "we thought we better go to bed when the sun started rising". I don't know what they got up to but an area near the pits that was nice smooth grass when I left looked liked a ploughed field and I wasn't game to ask. Luckily I was getting a lift back to the motel with the guy who had been operating the big heavy pit gate and who after 20 something races plus various demonstrations was pleading exhaustion so we left (very luckily it seems !!) after "only one or two" as they say.

Lovely as always to meet Bryn again and at last I finally can add another forum member in Marty (plus son Sam) to my list (I think I'm up to 10 all told now). Must thank Bryn for the plugs he gave the THE speedway forum during the meeting (we sponsored four races in case people didn't know and got a little ad in the program too) so don't be surprised if even more strange Aussies start posting on here !!

Next year again Marty ?

Luckily I was getting a lift back to the motel with the guy who had been operating the big heavy pit gate and who after 20 something races plus various demonstrations was pleading exhaustion so we left (very luckily it seems !!) after "only one or two" as they say.

Yes I did hear about Big Andy's workout, he still sounded exhausted yesterday afternoon. I think he was counting the amount of times he had to open and close the gate...did he say 40 times?

Congratulations to Marty and his team of helpers, glad to hear everything worked out well. It's good to see people willing to still promote the sport that we all love. :approve:

Thanks for the report Bryn, look forward to catching up with you and Lunchy at Gosford - i'll be the one with a KTM shirt forgetting to fuel Johnno's bike up. :unsure:

Well I finally got home & slept for about a day. I've never done so much running about. Thanks for all of the kind words about the meeting & thanks to Bryn for doing a great job announcing & I still owe you that bottle of Bundy. Also thanks to Andy, the best Pit Gate operator I have ever seen. Next time have a look at the size of the gate before you volunteer :D , & next time can you jog a bit as you open & close it :DB) Was also great to meet Lunchy & to thank him on sponsoring a few races on behalf of the Forum.

I'm getting that lotto ticket tomorrow as it was so close to being cancelled. If it was cancelled there would have been a big chance that I wouldn't have given it another go for a long time, if ever.

Sat up with the car club president until the early hours of the morning having a couple of quiet drinks & just had to ask him a couple of times what his biggest car crowd had been in the last 15 years (the track only ever has cars racing), for some reason his jaw dropped every time I asked him :rolleyes: . After a few more drinks I decided to tell him where he was going wrong with his car meetings as I was an experianced promotor of 1 meeting :blink: . He soon worked out that he needed more than 1 hand written poster up on the toilet wall of the local pub :wink: .

As for doing it again next year, If I was asked yesterday I would have said no, but after a bit of time to relax, well maybe. I would have to talk to the riders as the surface of the track worried me. But after all the ground work that was done for this one I think we could have an even better crowd next year.

Cheers Mark