British Speedway Forum
speedwaykate

Howard Cole?

trying to track down an old friend of my dads.HOWARD COLE. i believe he rode for stoke roundabout 1962.im told he moved to australia to be a teacher??? my dads name is bob mason . any help would be greatly appreciated .thankyou

Howard Cole, who rode under the name of Kid Bodie in his Stoke years, '62 & '63, retired from racing at the end of 1974, when captain of Cradley Heath. He was New Zealand Champion in 1967 and spent most winters downunder, mainly in Aussie, to where he retired (from speedway.) He became Head of Maths at Sydney Grammar School and retired from that position (i.e. to become an OAP,) just a few years ago.

You can read about him, and see recent-day pics in Oz on the Cradley website and Cradley Forum,

http://www.cradleyspeedway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ under Riders A-Z,

and

http://cradleyspeedway.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=riders. incl'g "Ex-Heathens" and H.C.

Very accomplished rider on his day. I remember vividly seeing Howard Cole ride from reserve at Coventry for the Heathens and score a 12-point max in 1972. My dad, who had been a Bees fan for many years, was indignant. What on earth was he doing riding at reserve? :D

Perhaps Bob Andrews would know-pretty sure if you contacted John Skinner who runs the Defunct Speedway Tracks website he'd know or put you in touch with someone who did,

Very accomplished rider on his day. I remember vividly seeing Howard Cole ride from reserve at Coventry for the Heathens and score a 12-point max in 1972. My dad, who had been a Bees fan for many years, was indignant. What on earth was he doing riding at reserve? :D

Not doubting your memory Andy, but that seems strange. Howard moved to Cradley from Kings Lynn at the start of the 1973 season and I'm pretty sure that he had a serious injury the previous season.

If you are correct that it was 1972 then he must have been a guest, but he was a fully fledged heat leader in those days.

This is Howard's 'modern era' record

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/index.cgi?...=430&page=1

trying to track down an old friend of my dads.HOWARD COLE. i believe he rode for stoke roundabout 1962.im told he moved to australia to be a teacher??? my dads name is bob mason . any help would be greatly appreciated .thankyou

He lives in Sydney Australia. I've PM his email

Howard came to Lynn from Cradley I think

He also rode for Long Eaton before that

He got sent back to Cradley by the notorious "rider control committee"

Didnt he have his big crash at Leicester in a World Championship Semi-Final

Howard was the first Kings Lynn rider to qualify for a World Final

Edited by star ghost

Howard is a member of our veteran speedway riders assn in Australia, i am not at liberty to disclose his address but he does live in a Sydney suburb. The VSRA would have his full address.

Regards Tony

On second thoughts I could be more helpful, it is just that I am careful with giving out addresses!, email me on binbooks@iinet.net.au with your address and email and i will forward it on to Howard

Not doubting your memory Andy, but that seems strange. Howard moved to Cradley from Kings Lynn at the start of the 1973 season and I'm pretty sure that he had a serious injury the previous season.

If you are correct that it was 1972 then he must have been a guest, but he was a fully fledged heat leader in those days.

Salty, my memory may well be faulty. Think it was 72 though not absolutely certain which club. Would have to delve down into my programme collection to find that one out...

Salty, my memory may well be faulty. Think it was 72 though not absolutely certain which club. Would have to delve down into my programme collection to find that one out...

According to an old programme, I have Howard scoring 12 at Brandon early in the 1973 season. Not sure if was a maximum, but he definitely wouldn't have been riding at reserve.

According to an old programme, I have Howard scoring 12 at Brandon early in the 1973 season. Not sure if was a maximum, but he definitely wouldn't have been riding at reserve.

Quite so.

The Record books list HC amongst the Kings Lynn scorer in 1972, (14 matches, 8.94pt ave. 2nd behind Terry Betts,) and in the Cradley list in 1973, (19 matches, 9.12pt ave, 2nd only to Bernt Persson.)