British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davidba

Anders Michanek

Michanek was my childhood hero, as although i saw Peter Collins each week Mich had that mystique and exotic allure as i only saw him once a year and he was magnificent in his time.

Last year when Reading closed and he attended i couldn't bring myself to go as i'm wary of meeting my hero's in case i'm dissapointed in them.

However i would very much like to hear from anyone who ever met the great man. What sort of character was/is he? He still looks physically impressive from the photo's in Backtrack.

Due to Mich i had a big thing about Swedish riders and that played a big part in me finally going there for some meetings this year.

Michanek was my childhood hero, as although i saw Peter Collins each week Mich had that mystique and exotic allure as i only saw him once a year and he was magnificent in his time.

Last year when Reading closed and he attended i couldn't bring myself to go as i'm wary of meeting my hero's in case i'm dissapointed in them.

However i would very much like to hear from anyone who ever met the great man. What sort of character was/is he? He still looks physically impressive from the photo's in Backtrack.

Due to Mich i had a big thing about Swedish riders and that played a big part in me finally going there for some meetings this year.

Anders is also my all-time hero and I finally got to meet him at Reading's final meeting last October.

A very quiet, humble and unassuming guy. A nice man.

I also exchanged a few emails before and since with the great man.

Edited by AndyP

Thats made my day hearing that. I think i will have to get me a suitable framed photo of the great man and convince my wife it will go well on the bedroom wall!! :lol:

davidba,hope if there is another opportunity for you to meet Anders you will introduce yourself-my experience is that ex-riders are real gentlemen who are always glad to know they are remembered with affection(after all wouldn't any of us like to be remembered and respected)-bet ya he'll be happy to have a chat with you-perhaps even sign your poster!!Anyway all the best.

When Anders came to our last meeting at Reading last season he was swamped by supporters. He said that he was shocked that so many people still remembered him.

He's such a humble man and didn't realise how popular he was and still is

When Anders came to our last meeting at Reading last season he was swamped by supporters. He said that he was shocked that so many people still remembered him.

He's such a humble man and didn't realise how popular he was and still is

Your right, wish now i had done so, i guess even for superstars like Anders was, when its a long time ago you must appreciate being remembered with such affection. I guess i was assuming he gets it all the time but even if he does it sounds as though he still appreciates the comments. Hope i get the chance again one day. If you do email him again please let him know how fondly he's still thought of.

yes Andy P

Ove Fundin & Olle Nygren are the same

It is really great to talk to the older riders

Met Ove last year at Vojens.Like you say,he was great.Told him as a Wimbledon supporter i was obviously more a Mirac fan.He siad "It's ok,i was a big fan of Ronnie's as well" :lol:

Have met Erik Gundersen quite a bit now and he will always come up and say hi and have a bit of a chat,depending on how much time he has.But a really great guy.

Pity i have never had the chance to meet up with Olle,as he was my first hero

David - did you see the Collins v Michanek KOC Final run off in 73 - I understand it was a great race.

I too enjoyed watching Anders and he was one of my favourite big names of the 70's.

Sadly i didn't see that legendary race, being 8 years old i was reliant on when my dad would drive us to Hyde Rd, and though 4 boys pestering him did mean we meant many times, he was often reluctant due to the constant threat of having his tyres slashed or wheels removed by the local scallywags!

I did see Michanek once but i cant remember the year. Last year when my parents moved from my childhood home i went through some boxes in the attic but could only find about 10 old programmes and not the Reading meeting one, so don't know exactly when it was and my dad cant remember and my older brothers have turned their back on the sport so much they wont even try to remember!!

Have seen the picture of Anders i used to have on my wall for so many years, on Mike Patricks website, and am now trying to get the money together(Hard when your out of work) to buy myself a large print for Christmas. :approve:

Anders is also my all-time hero and I finally got to meet him at Reading's final meeting last October.

A very quiet, humble and unassuming guy. A nice man.

I also exchanged a few emails before and since with the great man.

I think we all expect they are going to be anything but that, Andy, but in my (very limited) experience they often wonder what all the fuss is about.

I have never met a really famous speedway rider but I did meet (at my wife's grandfathers funeral) Ray Wilson, who played left back in the 1966 World Cup winning team. He was just the same.

I had the pleasure of sharing the referee's box with Tony Steele this season and he was like it, too. He's recognised as the best in the world at what he does (first time I have ever met anyone who has that honour) but he explained he was simply doing a job to the best of his ability. Needless to say, I'm now a big fan.

Sadly, I never met the guy. What a speedway rider he was though. I think I was driving a minicab when he won the championship - in Grantham was it in 1974? I got a lot of stick from my bosses at the time by asking the question on the Saturday night on the radio which of course meant nothing to them the cretins..

Should have won more in my opinion.

Jimmy.B :)

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Sadly, I never met the guy. What a speedway rider he was though. I think I was driving a minicab when he won the championship - in Grantham was it in 1974? I got a lot of stick from my bosses at the time by asking the question on the Saturday night on the radio which of course meant nothing to them the cretins..

No, it was Gothenburg! :rolleyes: WITW!

Edited by speedyguy

WITW! By the way Jimmy B :) I did meet the great Anders Michanek several times in the 1970s when I was involved with the old 'Speedway Mail'. I found him most helpful and informative. WITW!

For many years in the 1970's I looked afte rthe flighst for all teh Swedes and major riders..Ivan..Briggo..Mich ..etc.etc.

Anders is a wonderful, modest, friendly and was also an extremely superb racer. he was a true delight to deal with..and we often meet up even now some 30 years later...They come no nicer than Anders..and he remains one of my genuine hero's without feet of clay...unlike some it must be said.

Met up with Bossa Wirebrand in Polski and he tells me that Mitch lives in the forest these days with his earth moving business..a truly great and good human being.