Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Olympique & Olympiad

Two 'Olympic'-based titles these but what's their full history..? :unsure:

Am planning to go up to Wolves on Monday for this year's running of the Olympique: a handicap-based event now, has it ALWAYS been so..? :unsure:

And I must admit I'd assumed this particular 'classic' individual to have always been a purely Monmore Green-based event but I now read it was (originally..?) at Newcastle in the mid-60s..

But was 1966 the first staging or does the name go much further back into the annals..? Must admit it sounds like the kind of name which might've been used in the real pioneer days of the late '20s and the '30s..? :unsure:

Suppose it was Mike Parker who moved it to Wolves and he also came up with a sister event at Second Division level which was originally (I assume...) staged at his other track, Crayford in 1970..

When did THAT meeting last get raced...?: last trace of the Olympiad I can find was at Edinburgh in 1980..

With 2012 looming, I wonder if anyone would resurrect the Olympiad title... You'd like to think that the most local track to the Olympic site Lakeside might, but after the debacle of the 'ghost' LRC I'm not sure that would be a great idea... Rye House then maybe..?

As far as I am aware the Newcastle meeting was the first of the name and the heat formula. Handicap racing is of course not new but this variation was unique at the time.

Held at Brough Park on 17 October 1966 the first winner was Barry Briggs with a 15 point maximum. The "reward" for winning a race meant a handicap in the next race of 30 yards, second 20 and third 10 with the first 4 heats off scratch.

Peter Kelly quietly did the business and finished with 14 points, leaving a heat 20 decider. Ivan Mauger and Briggs were off 30, Sverre Haarfedt of 20 and Nigel Boocock from the gate. Briggo of course won the heat and the mantle of champion.

1st Barry Briggs 15

2nd Peter Kelly 14

3rd Nigel Boocock 11

4th Martin Ashby 10

5th Ivan Mauger 9

5th Mike Watkin 9

5th Alan Butterfield 9

8th Svere Haarfeldt 7

9th Dave Gifford 5

9th Bluey Scott 5

9th Charlie Monk 5

9th Cyril Maidment 5

13th Gordon Guasco 4

13th Russ Dent 4

15th George Hunter 0

15th John Dews 0

Reserve Goog Allan 6

Reserve Alan Paynter 0

1967 Anders Michanek 11 Ivan Mauger 11 Olle Nygren 11 Nigel Boocock 11 (run off)

1968 Rained off

1969 Not held

Edited by jackofdiamonds

Thanks 'Jack'. :approve:

As an event which started in 1966 - albeit it hasn't I think ran every year since...) does this indeed mean it's true it's the "longest running individual event in the UK"..? :unsure:

Not as long as the ELRC (if you count the BLRC..!) :blink:

IF Lakeside had run the LRC this year THAT would be the longest..!! :wink:

Pride of the East?Is the Brandonapolis still run?British Final? :unsure:

The Sussex Championship used to be the longest running trophy at one time.

In 1948 West Ham staged "the Olympiad Trophy" to coincide with the London Olympic Games, but it was not run on a handicap system as far as I remember it. There was an International line-up including someone from Holland. I think Vic Duggan won the trophy that night

What about the World Championship?

Er, haven't you noticed that the World Final (which otherwise would indeed have this 'title' of longest running indiv. event) was abolished back in 1994.. :blink::cry:

In 1948 West Ham staged "the Olympiad Trophy" to coincide with the London Olympic Games, but it was not run on a handicap system as far as I remember it. There was an International line-up including someone from Holland. I think Vic Duggan won the trophy that night

Thanks SG - THAT is interesting....

Er, haven't you noticed that the World Final (which otherwise would indeed have this 'title' of longest running indiv. event) was abolished back in 1994.. :blink::cry:

Crickey! Has it? That's the trouble with being a speedway historian. I'll catch up with it in about another 10 years. :)