British Speedway Forum
erasuretim

Footage Of West Ham

did anyone go to west ham when it was a complete stadium. i never went there until 1970 and by this time the back straight and part of the first and all of the second bends had already been demolished. it must have been a great stadium when still intact.

As I mentioned in a previous Post :unsure: I first went to West Ham in April 1954. What a great place it was. Then over the years until the early 1960s, I was a regular at Custom House for both speedway and stock car racing. Happy days!

Very poignant watching those clips. :cry: How could such a great venue have been lost to the sport? No doubt someone made a pretty penny from selling the stadium down the river! :mad:

Great footage, and have to say it looked a REAL racing track.How we could do with more tracks like that these days.

Very poignant watching those clips. :cry: How could such a great venue have been lost to the sport? No doubt someone made a pretty penny from selling the stadium down the river! :mad:

I think you will find that the reason the stadium was sold was because it had become so old it was a more economical to demolish and sell the land than to refurbish a place where, over the post war years, people increasingly stayed away from the activities covered there. A West Ham page can be found on

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi

Edited by speedyguy

Yep - and guess who..? The same folk who did for London's other truly great stadium, the White City... The GRA... :mad:

I bet they will be mentioned with Wimbledon next

All of Londons great tracks went because people stopped going to speedway. Speedway has never fought back really either. It has just got left behind in the modern days.

It particularly hurts me as I've spent virtually all my adult life living and working in East London and meet on a daily basis many people who went to Custom House but I sadly never did. Back in '72 I was just a 12 year-old living in Kent .!

Derick it was 1972 :wink:

Worth taking a look at ITV arcive website, put Dirt Track racing and Speedway in and you can watch 100's of old film from around the world.

Excellent footage and good qulity too. Did anyone see one of Stan Stevens old West Ham rice jackets on e-bay about five years ago? i was the highest bider with nine seconds left :rolleyes: but lost out to four more bids :cry: It went for around £500 pounds!

Yes agree Pathe is a great website to watch old film of our beloved sport.....take a look at clip Eastbourne Eagles Trevor Geer and I think Barney Kennett? Also some more experts on here may be able to name more on the clip. lets see how many more can be named. Oh! and those masks!!!

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=74189

Excellent footage and good qulity too. Did anyone see one of Stan Stevens old West Ham rice jackets on e-bay about five years ago? i was the highest bider with nine seconds left :rolleyes: but lost out to four more bids :cry: It went for around £500 pounds!

yes i remember that i missed out as well. to ease the pain a bit i do have mike sampsons west ham bombers race jacket from 1972 and a replica childs jacket from around 1970. it is the same as the west ham london design but slightly smaller.

as a kid i remember seeing it in the track shop and it will have to do until the real thing turns up. at least it's been at the track unlike all of these copys for sale.

Yes agree Pathe is a great website to watch old film of our beloved sport.....take a look at clip Eastbourne Eagles Trevor Geer and I think Barney Kennett? Also some more experts on here may be able to name more on the clip. lets see how many more can be named. Oh! and those masks!!!

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=74189

Great clip. :approve:

It's White City, of course...

And that's GORDON not Barney of the Kennett bros!! :rolleyes:

Other riders shown in the pits cleaning their bikes are Richard Greer and Richard Hellsen..

Must be Press & Practice Day as the stadium is empty (no sarky comments please that that could mean it was a league match... :neutral: ).

Not year one with those race jackets I'd say..??

And certainly NOT 1970... Has to be between '76 and '78..

Great clip. :approve:

It's White City, of course...

And that's GORDON not Barney of the Kennett bros!! :rolleyes:

Other riders shown in the pits cleaning their bikes are Richard Greer and Richard Hellsen..

Must be Press & Practice Day as the stadium is empty (no sarky comments please that that could mean it was a league match... :neutral: ).

Not year one with those race jackets I'd say..??

And certainly NOT 1970... Has to be between '76 and '78..

hi derek it's 1976 press and practice day. i've got richard greer's silver city rebels race jacket in my collection from that season.