British Speedway Forum
norbold

Aaaaaagggggghhhhhh!

From this week's Speedway Star, A-Z by Brian Burford:

"H - Hoskins, Johnnie

The father of speedway racing...He brought speedway to Britain by staging the first meeting at the King's Oak Arena, High Beech on February 19, 1928."

No, he didn't, Brian. The first meeting at King's Oak had nothing whatsoever to do with Johnnie Hoskins. When will this myth ever be put to rest??????????????????

OHHHHHHH no no no no no no no no no .....gawd help us.. As another grummpy old man said "I dont belieive it"

How on earth can some one like Brian Burford write such utter tosh.. He needs castigating or something that sounds like it :P for this perpetration of history....he should know better :blink:

Hoskins had nothing what so ever to do with the introduction of Speedway into England.. and I would have thought it common knowlage Hoskins had nothing to do with High Beech..

Actually Hoskins being responsable for High Beech is a new one on me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those responsable for bringing Speedway to England are ......

Jimmy Baxter and Australian promoter Keith Mckay et al and their company DTS ltd, plus A J Hunting et al and his company ISL....

when will the Hoskins myth die :unsure:

When did Hoskins first promote in England? Around 1929 / 1930 wasn't it?

Must dig out my copy of the excellent Pre-Way Years by Robert Bamford when I get home.

All the best

Rob

Must dig out my copy of the excellent Pre-Way Years by Robert Bamford when I get home.

All the best

Rob

The Pre-War Years is a good book, Rob, but not actually when it comes to the first meeting at High Beech as Robert also makes several mistakes!

Edited by norbold

Dear Brian, how could Hoskins be responsable for High Beech? He was on the same boat as A J Hunting and Hunting arrived on th 19th of Feb... Hoskins in his wake ..... so how did he organise the meeting... by telegraph from onboard ship? :D

The two Australians to ride at High Beech were Galloway and Mckay.. courtesy of Jimmy Baxter

Edited by Nigel

The Pre-War Years is a good book, Rob, but not actually when it comes to the first meeting at High Beech as Robert also makes several mistakes!

Ok then, Norbold, I'll go and read the report of High Beech in the excellent "Speedway's Classic Meetings" (even if it does miss out Oxford v Ipswich in the KOC Final from 1985 :wink: ). I trust that one is 100% accurate. :wink::lol:

All the best

Rob

Those responsable for bringing Speedway to England are ......

Jimmy Baxter and Australian promoter Keith Mckay et al and their company DTS ltd, plus A J Hunting et al and his company ISL....

when will the Hoskins myth die :unsure:

Wasn't the Crystal Palace promoter also partially responsible?Didn't he make a trip to Oz and was impressed by what he saw there speedway wise and thought it would be great in Britain.Thought he was doing Path racing at Crystal Palace pre 1928.Can't think of his name though

Ok then, Norbold, I'll go and read the report of High Beech in the excellent "Speedway's Classic Meetings" (even if it does miss out Oxford v Ipswich in the KOC Final from 1985 :wink: ). I trust that one is 100% accurate. :wink::lol:

All the best

Rob

Absolutely 100%!

Wasn't the Crystal Palace promoter also partially responsible?Didn't he make a trip to Oz and was impressed by what he saw there speedway wise and thought it would be great in Britain.Thought he was doing Path racing at Crystal Palace pre 1928.Can't think of his name though

The Crystal Palace promoters were Fred Mockford and Cecil Smith, but they didn't go to Australia. I think you are thinking of Lionel Wills whose reports from Australia was one of the key factors in Jack Hill-Bailey looking to promote speedway in this country, which he did at High Beech on 19 February 1928 without any help or input from Mr Hoskins. Lionel Wills later linked up with Mockford and Smith at Crystal Palace along with Ron Johnson (one of Hoskins' boys).

Absolutely 100%!

The Crystal Palace promoters were Fred Mockford and Cecil Smith, but they didn't go to Australia. I think you are thinking of Lionel Wills whose reports from Australia was one of the key factors in Jack Hill-Bailey looking to promote speedway in this country, which he did at High Beech on 19 February 1928 without any help or input from Mr Hoskins. Lionel Wills later linked up with Mockford and Smith at Crystal Palace along with Ron Johnson (one of Hoskins' boys).

Yes Norbold.Lionel Wills was the man i was thinking of.........thanks

All the best

Rob

Which edition do you have .....there will be more corrections in the 3rd.....

Hoskins CV.

1928 Arrived in England with 4 riders? in the wake of Australian Promoter A J Hunting.

First employment ..very short lived consultant to Fred Mockford at C/Palace . Then as manager at Brighton for Major Kinnersley of Associated Southern Speedways Brighton Ltd. which closed after a handful of meetings, Moved north to Salford Manchester to manage the track for a group of Stockport business men, although he did have a few shares (50) in the Salford company Albion Auto Racers Ltd, also managed Middlesbrough (Albion Auto Racers Middlesbrough LTD) not a good first year ?

In the first few years J H managed tracks for others and did not put up his own money as Promoter. (well not much anyway)

There are stories in the press that Major Kinnersley brought J H to England but I think it unlikely, more evidence needed.

Edited by Nigel

And wasn't Mr. W.J. Cearns in some way involved with the Ilford club which put on High Beech..??? :unsure:

Not sure if Cearns was involved with the first meeting at High Beech? he cetainly was with latter ones.

Everyone seems to forget that the HB meeting was a joint effort with the Colchester Club the president of which was Ernie J Bass the man who built and promoted Lea Bridge Speedway. :wink:

Edited by Nigel

Not sure if Cearns was involved with the first meeting at High Beech? he cetainly was with latter ones.

Everyone seems to forget that the HB meeting was a joint effort with the Colchester Club the president of which was Ernie J Bass the man who built Lea Bridge Speedway. :wink:

Parsloes 1928 nearly :P:D

I don't believe the Speedway Star would make such a mistake. That bloke who wrote the piece needs sacking, especially in the week thousands of lives have been ruined by the floods in Cumbria. Who's up for getting Burfield the sack? I could set up a petition on the 10 Downing Street website.