British Speedway Forum
norbold

Aaaaaagggggghhhhhh!

Do we know when these myths started?Pre war or post war period?And it is of course a terrible slap in the face for serious historians of our sport that the FIM of all people continue to propogate such things

Do we know when these myths started?Pre war or post war period?And it is of course a terrible slap in the face for serious historians of our sport that the FIM of all people continue to propogate such things

Myths usually start when an error is made by an incorrect reference to an original source. Or worse still, the original writer got it wrong in the first case.

Was the article in the FIM publication attributed to a named fiction writer ?

Perhaps the FIM should be made aware of the error of their ways by a well respected historian on here :wink:

Perhaps the FIM should be made aware of the error of their ways by a well respected historian on here :wink:

I believe they already have by a well-known Australian historian.

I believe they already have by a well-known Australian historian.

I'm not sure if the person you indicate has been in touch from dealings I have with down-under at the moment, but a prominent colleague of yourself is on the matter.

Yes, yes, speedyguy. I heard you the first time!

Shock for me! I didn't know that three messages had been transmitted. I'll hit the delete key. :unsure:

Edited by speedyguy

It is the purpose of history to get as near to the truth as possible and to give credit (or damnation) to those who made it and not let others bathe in the un deserved limelight or notoriety

Whoever wrote the piece in the FIM mag. just cobbled together some un researched stories and in so doing caused an injustice to history and to those who created it.

I do not think anyone has set out to denigrate Jonnie Hoskins as a person; I/We just want to get at the truth. I/we are not out to “get” Jonnie Hoskins. Hoskins was a great showman and promoter and I wish we had more like him in speedway today! It has been suggested that Hoskins himself is not responsible for these myths, this may be true? (There are I think articles attributed to Hoskins where he says he invented speedway and brought it to England?) But Hoskins is oft quoted as saying that he invented Speedway, this may have been a tongue in cheek statement ?. Ian Hoskins has I believe gone on record as saying his father invented and introduced speedway to England, when these statements have been challenged Ian has defended his father’s mythical stories vigorously and indeed insulted a well know Australian historian. So the son carries on the myths. It also begs the question where did Ian hear the stories?

Like all good showman JH could tell a good story, he knew how to spice things up ! he knew the value of self publicity “I invented speedway etc” would have done much for his kudos (er... assuming he actually claimed it)

I await the reply from Ian Hoskins :blink::P

Edited by Nigel

:wink:

Dan Brown !

Or perhaps a writer of political speeches :lol:

Dan Brown !

Or perhaps a writer of political speeches :lol:

It was written by Marc Petrier. I know that a much respected English speedway historian has already contacted the FIM about the article in their magazine - which most times gives speedway excellent coverage.

Edited by speedyguy

To quote Jim Blanchard from the 'Speedway History Forum'...................Hope you dont mind Jim :lol:

Quote:-

Steve Wright in the afternoon on BBC Radio two has the definitive answer with one of their 'factoids'. The day before yesterday one included the following read out by Janey Lee Grace.

It was, and I paraphrase.

'The first motorcycle speedway race took place at Maitland Australia in 1925' -: un quote

Still I suppose the answer is in line with the intellectual level of the Programme :lol:

To quote Jim Blanchard from the 'Speedway History Forum'...................Hope you dont mind Jim :lol:

Steve Wright in the afternoon on BBC Radio two has the definitive answer with one of their 'factoids'. The day before yesterday one included the following read out by Janey Lee Grace.

'The first motorcycle speedway race took place at Maitland Australia in 1925' -: un quote

Still I suppose the answer is in line with the intellectual level of the Programme :lol:

No it was in 1923. :angry: Or was it 1904 in Ipswich as somebody suggested a while back.

If you listen to Steve Wright that's just the garbage that you should expect. Factoid = poorly-researched piece of irrelevant information smugly handed-out to the very gullible, passed-off as 'cleverness'.

Rob McCaffery

No it was in 1923. :angry: Or was it 1904 in Ipswich as somebody suggested a while back.

Neither.

Neither.

I now think it was Pietermartizburg in South Africa in 1905, although I was told some time back that a meeting took place in Calais France in the late 1890s.