British Speedway Forum
Puma23

Terrible Speedway Accident - Zbigniew Raniszewski

Look at: http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2010/01/...ewskiego-video/

It is terrible !!!!

***Mod Note: Please be clear that this link is NOT for the faint hearted and should only be viewed after taking this into account***

Good God! That is unbelievable. People say that nowadays things are too Health and Safety concious, but how on Earth could you be allowed to have a concrete stairway actually jutting out on onto a speedway track like that? If that wasn't an accident waiting to happen then I don't know what is!

What happened to the stadium after that? Does anyone know? Was it allowed to stay open?

My god, thats awful :o:(

Jeez,doesn't look like there was even an attempt to fence the stairway off or cushion it.Was it just a stadium used for a one-off meeting?Even if,that is absolutely unbelievable

Incredible - absolutely beyond belief! Didn't the rider know the stairs were there? Did he not walk the track before the meeting?

There were several tracks like this operating in Eastern Europe before and after WW2. In the main they were really athletics tracks with speedway just an added event at them, probably once or twice during the season. I believe they were especially in use at one time in Austria.

Edited by speedyguy

That made me feel physically sick.

Even in the 50's how can you let that happen :neutral: Raniszewski seems to just disappear on impact and having watched the video in slow motion, I may be wrong but it looks like a large amount of blood on the wall behind which wasn't there before the crash... absolutely horrible.

I find it difficult to take on board what I've just seen - it was truly shocking.

RIP Zbigniew

Good God! That is unbelievable. People say that nowadays things are too Health and Safety concious, but how on Earth could you be allowed to have a concrete stairway actually jutting out on onto a speedway track like that? If that wasn't an accident waiting to happen then I don't know what is!

What happened to the stadium after that? Does anyone know? Was it allowed to stay open?

Tragedy indeed. But we are only viewing the accident site straight on - is there a perspective of it looking down the straights so that we can guage how wide the track was from its inner edge to where the staircase was situated. How wide was the track?

I have an idea that this may have been an international event - possibly world championship qualifying - and would besides Austrian recognition of the venue would also probabkly have been FIM sanctioned.

On a further cautionary note in regard to safety - is this the track where the Austrian star Fritz Dirtl was killed some years before?

And Grachan - I am certain the stadium DID stay open. It was probably an athletics stadium adapted for use as needed to stage speedway meetings. :unsure:

Edited by speedyguy

On a further cautionary note in regard to safety - is this the track where the Austrian star Fritz Dirtl was killed some years before?

See match results: Dirtl was riding in this meeting, (plus our own Phil Bishop, as a Guest.)