British Speedway Forum
Puma23

Terrible Speedway Accident - Zbigniew Raniszewski

Regardless of who was riding, none of that statement appears to be true, going by the video evidence.

The film shows that the other rider involved was behind Raniszewski at every point and that, far from being 'thrown against the wall', Raniszewski went into it under power, which is the strangest part for me.

At no point does he attempt any kind of evasive action, he even ducks his head at the very last moment, almost as if he didn't realise what was happening.

I'm wondering if he was so preoccupied with trying to control his bike, that he totally lost his orientation with the track; could his throttle have stuck open?

I'm not sure if I have missed something or not, but the video that I saw started just as the unfortunate Raniszewski was spearing towards the concrete stairs, and had the other rider already almost on the floor outside him.

From what I have seen, it seems entirely possible that the other rider lost control and fell just in front and to the right of Raniszewski, clipping him and putting him off balance, which caused him to get sent into that fateful drive into those stairs...

I have seen many crashes where one rider has fallen just in front of another, clipping them and causing them to be thrown off balance. That often leads the following rider to pull back on the throttle and spear him into the fence....Thankfully, when I have seen those incidents, there wasn't an unforgiving stairway waiting to collect the unfortunate rider...

As I say, maybe you have seen some video footage that I didn't see, but nothing that I have seen necessarily contradicts what was written about that horrible crash...

As I say, maybe you have seen some video footage that I didn't see, but nothing that I have seen necessarily contradicts what was written about that horrible crash...

Have to say I agree with you, Henry. There are often inconsistencies in stories (particularly when not originally written in English), and obviously, the video evidence is far from conclusive, being so short. However, it certainly appears that the two tangled, and for whatever reason be it poor throttle control or maybe just picking up some unwanted grip from somewhere, I really don't think that Raniszewski just rode into the stairs. Maybe "thrown" isn't the best word to describe the event, but he was certainly "thrown" off course and out of control. Still, the thing that puzzles me is that this supposedly occurred outside of the actual track, but again, some longer video evidence may help.

What I will also say is that Zbigniew Raniszewski's memorial website is an incredible - and extremely touching - tribute to the rider. When I first tried to find extra information on the tragedy for my website, none of this information was out there. Talented though he may have been, Raniszewski was hardly a familiar name to most of us, but it is amazing to unearth all this stuff now.

Steve

What makes the situation difficult to comprehend is if the accident had been on a track with a proper wooden perimeter safety fence, he most definitely would have lived to race another day!

Regardless of who was riding, none of that statement appears to be true, going by the video evidence.

The film shows that the other rider involved was behind Raniszewski at every point and that, far from being 'thrown against the wall', Raniszewski went into it under power, which is the strangest part for me.

At no point does he attempt any kind of evasive action, he even ducks his head at the very last moment, almost as if he didn't realise what was happening.

I'm wondering if he was so preoccupied with trying to control his bike, that he totally lost his orientation with the track; could his throttle have stuck open?

I had been thinking of that scenario which would explain a lot

Have to say I agree with you, Henry. There are often inconsistencies in stories (particularly when not originally written in English), and obviously, the video evidence is far from conclusive, being so short. However, it certainly appears that the two tangled, and for whatever reason be it poor throttle control or maybe just picking up some unwanted grip from somewhere, I really don't think that Raniszewski just rode into the stairs. Maybe "thrown" isn't the best word to describe the event, but he was certainly "thrown" off course and out of control. Still, the thing that puzzles me is that this supposedly occurred outside of the actual track, but again, some longer video evidence may help.

What I will also say is that Zbigniew Raniszewski's memorial website is an incredible - and extremely touching - tribute to the rider. When I first tried to find extra information on the tragedy for my website, none of this information was out there. Talented though he may have been, Raniszewski was hardly a familiar name to most of us, but it is amazing to unearth all this stuff now.

Steve

Agree Steve what a wonderful tribute. Raniszewski, seems to have been a very popular chap!

Looking at the photos, what an exciting period it must have been at the birth of Polish speedway the crowds and support looked fantastic.

RIP Zbigniew

I'm not sure if I have missed something or not, but the video that I saw started just as the unfortunate Raniszewski was spearing towards the concrete stairs, and had the other rider already almost on the floor outside him.

As I said in an earlier post, I have seen footage that starts earlier in the incident (if I could find it, I'd post it) and it does look as though Raniszewski interferes, in some way, with the rider behind him and on his outside.

It isn't clear if the other rider has had his front wheel taken away, or has lost control in an effort to take evasive action, but he is completely out of control and the description of 'being thrown against the wall' applies far more to him; meanwhile, Raniszewski is heading straight to the scene of the accident, sitting up and under power, which is why......................

I had been thinking of that scenario which would explain a lot

............I suggested a stuck throttle.

There have been plenty of instances where people have been prepared to give up their lives in pursuit of the common good, but a speedway match doesn't seem like a good enough reason, whichever way you cut it.

I'd rather go with the idea that Zbigniew didn't really fancy it, but gave it a go because he was going to the track again in a WC qualifier; then outside events overtook him, with the most tragic consequences.

On the other hand, the results show he wasn't exactly pulling up any trees at that meeting, so perhaps he was just trying too hard and took out another rider, on the way to paying the ultimate price.

Edited by DK Rides Again

QUOTE (DK Rides Again @ Jan 30 2010, 02:01 AM)

.As I say, maybe you have seen some video footage that I didn't see, but nothing that I have seen necessarily contradicts what was written about that horrible crash...

above is the link to the whole video, not just 7 seconds. See and judge for yourself what did happen. Please notice all those concrete stairs around the track. Lethal.

above is the link to the whole video, not just 7 seconds. See and judge for yourself what did happen. Please notice all those concrete stairs around the track. Lethal.

Awful.....pretty damning commentary at the end as well....

Could you please be more specific.

Unfortunately I don't speak German :-(

The commentator says "Raniszewski said during training that he didn't want to ride because the track was unsafe.Racing on a track surrounded by concrete and steel is a game of life and death(or playing with death).People lives are cheaper than safety measures" I think is pretty much how he sums it up

The commentator says "Raniszewski said during training that he didn't want to ride because the track was unsafe.Racing on a track surrounded by concrete and steel is a game of life and death(or playing with death).People lives are cheaper than safety measures" I think is pretty much how he sums it up

Thank you very much for such a prompt response.

Wow where do you start with something like this having been at the fatal crash at Hackney some years ago you know that even if not told that this clip does not end well.

The longer piece does though offers more and all the previous reports garbled or not do not!

However they came together and perhaps it was locked handlebars or a front wheel being swiped away Raniszewski is in the Jeremiah Pitt, being speedway the sport we all love his only way out was to broadside which with another bike wrapped beside his rear wheel he cannot do.

If you watch the longer clip he in fact almost highsides with his left leg rising and then lowering a corrective action even if involuntary however once he rectifies that he is into his death smash

Ok I have read the comments with regards lowering his head he is taking a futile instictive ducking action and please do not laugh at deride or badmouth this comment he is trying to duck the stairs and no I am not making a joke here it is a self preservative action that to a watcher makes no sense.

Edited by DaveG