British Speedway Forum
belle vue13

"once A Jolly Swagman" 1948 Film

I'm a Belle Vue supporter and had been searching for sometime for a copy of the 1948 film "Once a Jolly Swagman", starring Dirk Bogarde (see Brian Burford's article in Speedway Star, November 21, 2009 issue).

If anyones looking, you can get an excellent copy DVD from Alan Hodkinson by contacting him via his e-mail; vikingukvideo@aol.com or by letter at the address below.

If you send a cheque for £11.50 (includes post & packing), made out to A.Hodkinson and send it to:

A Hodkinson

17 Quadring Road

Gosberton

Spalding

Lincs

PE11 4NB

The DVD will be sent by return post

The DVD was produced for a few members of the Veteran Riders Association, and later it was used to help raise funds for the Speedway Museum.

The DVD starts with an interview with Ron Howes who did the riding for Dirk Bogarde in the film and an interview with Actor Bill Owen talking about the making of the film, then it goes into the film

Definitely a collectors item and super value, while searching I found a VHS Video advertised on Amazon for £67 something and that was only the film; no extra interviews!!!

Alan can also be contacted through; Alan Hodkinson ...... www.world-sra.org.uk

Hope this is of some interest.

Bill Jackson

Only just got around to watching the movie, great piece of both speedway and social history. Enormous crowds in those days, have to be seen to be appreciated. Interesting back story of one rider on the way up, Bill Fox (Dirk Bogard), and an old timer battered by injury on the way out, Lag Gibbon (Bill Owen). Great for me personally to see what it must have been like when as a young boy my father supported the Hull Angels at Hedon in the late 1940's. Huge crowds in those days too.

This title is a must for any speedway fan's collection, it gets shown on the dig channels from time to time, but why not acquire your own copy. Get in touch with Alan via the above details; great to deal with and a very quick service. Did I mention the big crowds from back then, wonder what speedway did right back then that the sport possibly isn't doing now....

Only just got around to watching the movie, great piece of both speedway and social history. Enormous crowds in those days, have to be seen to be appreciated. Interesting back story of one rider on the way up, Bill Fox (Dirk Bogard), and an old timer battered by injury on the way out, Lag Gibbon (Bill Owen). Great for me personally to see what it must have been like when as a young boy my father supported the Hull Angels at Hedon in the late 1940's. Huge crowds in those days too.

This title is a must for any speedway fan's collection, it gets shown on the dig channels from time to time, but why not acquire your own copy. Get in touch with Alan via the above details; great to deal with and a very quick service. Did I mention the big crowds from back then, wonder what speedway did right back then that the sport possibly isn't doing now....

I was at New Cross when they shot the crowd scenes - sadly I don't appear with them! I was at the other end of the stadium that night. The shots were taken after the meeting ended. Up the Cobras! :unsure:

Did I mention the big crowds from back then, wonder what speedway did right back then that the sport possibly isn't doing now....

The eras just aren't comparable. In the immediate post-war period most sports had massive followings and after six years of horrific, total war who could be surprised that people wanted entertainment? Just three years prior to the film being made many of those people on the terraces would either have been facing a real threat of death in the armed forces or from flying bombs or V2 rockets at home. I think most people would need relaxation after all that.

Another major influence was the continuing effect of rationing which extended right into the fifties, leaving money in people's pockets that couldn't always be spent on food and consumer goods thus leaving more money for leisure activities.

TV was still in its infancy and entertainment tax had not yet brought speedway to its knees as it did in the following decade.

Rob McCaffery.

A DVD of the movie has just appeared on eBay uk (no, it's not me who's selling it!)

The eras just aren't comparable. In the immediate post-war period most sports had massive followings and after six years of horrific, total war who could be surprised that people wanted entertainment? Just three years prior to the film being made many of those people on the terraces would either have been facing a real threat of death in the armed forces or from flying bombs or V2 rockets at home. I think most people would need relaxation after all that.

Another major influence was the continuing effect of rationing which extended right into the fifties, leaving money in people's pockets that couldn't always be spent on food and consumer goods thus leaving more money for leisure activities.

TV was still in its infancy and entertainment tax had not yet brought speedway to its knees as it did in the following decade.

Rob McCaffery.

I was kinda been rhetorical, when I should've been working (!). Speedway enjoyed big crowds in the 1970's and early 80's too, I was in a few of them, but the attendances were enomous even for 'mere' league matches in the pre and post war days depicted in the movie. Hull also suffered badly in WW2. Hull (Hedon) enjoyed big crowds in the Angels' 1st year (1948) until I believe the council withdrew the bus service mid-1949, most folk couldn't afford the train fare (a special stop had been built, Hedon Halt, just for the speedway) and crowds plummeted, quickly making the speedway uneconomical. The licence, Division 3 league membership and half the team were then transfered to newly-opened Swindon....

I'm pleased that you also enjoyed "Once a Jolly Swagman" and that my information has been of some help to you in locating a copy of this film.

Yes, I agree with you; what a super guy Alan is to deal with. Did you know he was mechanic to Bob Humphreys years ago, before spending seventeen years as Start Marshall at Milton Keynes, Oxford and Peterborough. Team Manager to the Oxford Cubs and then Team Manager and Co-Promoter at Skegness, and now sometimes helps out Mike Bennett filming at Kings Lynn Speedway; but is there as a fan most race nights!

Nice chap!

Regards Bill Jackson

Just finished watching my copy. Excellent stuff :)

I'm a Belle Vue supporter and had been searching for sometime for a copy of the 1948 film "Once a Jolly Swagman", starring Dirk Bogarde (see Brian Burford's article in Speedway Star, November 21, 2009 issue).

If anyones looking, you can get an excellent copy DVD from Alan Hodkinson by contacting him via his e-mail; vikingukvideo@aol.com or by letter at the address below.

If you send a cheque for £11.50 (includes post & packing), made out to A.Hodkinson and send it to:

A Hodkinson

17 Quadring Road

Gosberton

Spalding

Lincs

PE11 4NB

The DVD will be sent by return post

The DVD was produced for a few members of the Veteran Riders Association, and later it was used to help raise funds for the Speedway Museum.

The DVD starts with an interview with Ron Howes who did the riding for Dirk Bogarde in the film and an interview with Actor Bill Owen talking about the making of the film, then it goes into the film

Definitely a collectors item and super value, while searching I found a VHS Video advertised on Amazon for £67 something and that was only the film; no extra interviews!!!

Alan can also be contacted through; Alan Hodkinson ...... www.world-sra.org.uk

Hope this is of some interest.

Bill Jackson

hi,ive tried both e mail addresses and alas i couldnt get them to work when i tried to contact alan,do you know of any other e mail he uses, many thanks for the info on the movie by the way..