British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sprocketrocket

Grand Prix Series

Indeed. The alternative of choosing 16 from a wider pool of, say, 32 riders, so riders appear in different GPs in different combinations, is probably even more disruptive to league racing. The rethink has to put investment and effort into the grass roots above all else.

A lot of promotions are only able to lease the stadium

bingo!

the source of a lot of domestic issues

so what are they currently doing to solve that? The problem is not going to go away by itself

its an interesting idea sprocketrocket and would go some way to making the sport more 'familiar' for those new fans ........... if it was a winner and it meant that 16-24 riders were lost from the league system then tbh its not as much a big issue as others are making out...... those riders would soon be replaced even if it meant going down to 6 man teams for a season

The sport needs something to come along to gather interest and get a ball gathering pace and momentum..... not sure if this is the type of thing that would achive that or not.............. but it would certainly open the door for 'team Honda' 'team Yamaha' 'team Kawasaki' 'team Suzuki' etc .......... and that in my personal opinion should be a holy grail for those that run speedway

Much rather watch Speedway GP's than the F1 GP's as the second team member is only there to help out, so a field of 22 becomes 11 of which at least 6 are no hopers.

With 16 riders in a GP and one of those being a WC, teams of 2 would leave one rider on his own !

Then you would have to find 7 or 8 companies that would be willing to foot the bill for this !

I'm with you on this one.

Although I get to one or two GP's every year, I prefer League racing. If we're to have the GP vs League scenario then the GP should remain an individual competition and the "teams" left to the league.

thoughts on restructuring of the GP anyone?

could not find the right thread for this and sure it has been debated but wanted to put my two pence in so here goes....

Assume we stay with the current format of X number of GPs in a season, involving 16 riders. It seems to me there are multiple benefits of changing the way to get into the series so how about:

1. Top 5 stay in for the following year - makes the competition that much more focused

2. Plus the World U21 Champion - brings in new, young blood and improves the stature of the U21 compettion

3. Plus 10 riders that come straight from two GP Semifinals - capitalises on the interest provoked by the current GP Challenge, more sellable to TV and does away with the stupid idea of the IMG 'picks'- the top 5 in each semi are then genuinely deserving of a place.

Each country gets an allotted number of places in the semi finals line up (dont know how that works!) and each governing authority can decide how to do that ie we might decide it is through the top 5 finishes in the British Final whereas Sweden might decide to nominate or some combination of the two. The semi final make up is done in a transparent way on TV such as picking riders names out of a bag for each semi

Well now I feel better!!