Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
gypilgrim

British Final And Semi Finals

Congrats to Bomber Harris - deserved British Champion once more ! Also, great display from Ben Barker on brand new bikes ( should see the real rider this season now ! ).

Tough meeting and for a Bees fan I for one am pleased to see the back of without major injury to any rider - is there anywhere a more competitive meet outside of the GPs / WTC ?

Cheers

Very disappointed after last nights British final, It appeared to me that along with the referee the Sky team had very little time for the Premier League riders involved ( Who might i add had every right to be there ).

Andrew Tully's start from heat 1 was brought up in conversation until heat 8!! The lad didnt even do nothing wrong maybe got a flyer but didnt touch the tapes at all, then the worse comment ever came, something along the lines of he got in Nicholls way for a lap and a half - unbelievable!!

Lanham - Belle vue?

Schramm - Eastbourne?

I hear people saying that its the weakest line-up in the British final for some time, well deal with it thats all we've got and until certain people start to give the "lesser riders" a chance it will be Scotty, Bomber and Kennett for some time to come!

Congratulations to Chris Harris on his fine win.

A unhappy PL fan. :mad:

Edited by Stoney=Legend

Congrats to Mucklovin' for doing Newcastle proud, hopefully he will have done enough for an EL club to give him a chance as a number 8 or something!

Ronnie Allen must be a Coventry fan judging by his decisions on the night!

ANYONE know where the refs box is at monmore? does it face the track!! :blink: Frampton being excluded is one of the worst ive seen,what on earth..........why does charlie keep asking nicholls or Harris what will it means to be british champ? i think they answered the question sometime way back!! Special mention to stuart Robson.How do they do the gate draw for semi and final?same as grand prix? anychance sky showing it or were there just straws involved?

She ask the same questions every time!! What does it mean,are you going to change your set-up etc etc.For christ sake girl,say something original.

What with the screaming imbecile telling us the bikes roar,and weve got a race on our hands nuff said!

Pity Barker mucked up the first turn, would have been much better to see a new wildcard at Cardiff, a young GB rider on his way up rather than, the old guard on their way out.

GP this year has shown the new young breed starting to dominate, if GB are to catch up, Barker or King would have learnt more from a wild card position.

Totally disagree, Scott getting the Wild Card was the best result for British Speedway as he is the only real Brit that can compete in a GP presently not in the Series and Barker and King will learn more from being kitted out in the kevlars on the day taking in the atmosphere and giving them a glimpse of what they could have in the future if they stay committed.

Tend to agree with the sentiment that better Nicholls be the Wild Card currently.

Throughly enjoyed the meeting watching on the box. What a performance by Bomber

in the circumstances. To get up from that fall and win ultimately was outstanding.

Pleased for the likes of Robbo and Danny King on the night.

That Barker has fast bikes and low skill levels. A massive crash waiting to happen and nearly always out of control. Large cahooners but little else.

Won four races and didnt cheat rolleyes.gif

track is shocking, ruining what should be an entertaining meeting.

All I can say is, I wish all tracks were as shocking instead of the slick crap we see week in week out :rolleyes:

Can't fault Chris Harris on lastnight's performance, a credit to his club and country. Very pleased to see Robbo in the semi, he is a star at Monmore when he stays on! Impressed with the two Kings too.

The track looked far from easy to ride in the early heats to be honest but with 23 heats last night then maybe a little more dirt was put on, the poole riders managed to ride it no problems tonight The racing did improve after heat 6 or so and in the end it made for good racing.

Wasn't it wrong set ups as has been said already, probably through lack of experience on tracks with plenty of dirt (perhaps ;) ) and not enough grading being allowed (but that is always the way when SKY are in town, schedules to keep etc!)

Maybe it was set-ups but the way riders were lifting out of turn 2 and four was much more than you woukd normally see. You could hear Danny Kings throttle control in the race-off before the meeting and it looked from where i was standing that it wasn't easy to ride. I am not knocking it as it made for good racing late on and much rather that than after 12 heats there is no dirt and the bikes just spin.

track is shocking, ruining what should be an entertaining meeting.

All I can say is, I wish all tracks were as shocking instead of the slick crap we see week in week out.

Agreed, - The evening and the meeting was good because of the unpredictability, - riders going from last, if not to first, then to 2nd, and last bend passes. Slick tracks only give predictability and processions. Plenty of position changing last night, (from an attendenee, not a viewer.)

Think the British Final is fast becoming a Mickey Mouse event!!! Wasn't impressed one bit with last nights meeting although Ben Barker produced some balls out racing!!! Respect to Bomber for beating what was put in front of him. Whilst I agree all tracks should be deep and not as slick as an iced penguin I dont think the meeting was that entertaining.

Take a look at the 1989, 1991 and 92 British Finals on Youtube....the British Final was the jewel of the British Speedway Calendar staged on a weekend at prime time for viewing on an easily accessible track. The difference in crowds levels is alarming to say the least. It was a highly polished, well presented affair then with the emphasis on entertainment. I seriously think World Championship qualification has to be brought back into it and the meeting has to go back to its roots a bit instead of just giving it a ridiculous Super Seven name!! The meeting might actually hold some credibility then and give some of the British lads the emphasis to be in it, raising there game and in turn developing further.

Edited by speedway_dan

Very disappointed after last nights British final, It appeared to me that along with the referee the Sky team had very little time for the Premier League riders involved ( Who might i add had every right to be there ).

Andrew Tully's start from heat 1 was brought up in conversation until heat 8!! The lad didnt even do nothing wrong maybe got a flyer but didnt touch the tapes at all, then the worse comment ever came, something along the lines of he got in Nicholls way for a lap and a half - unbelievable!!

Lanham - Belle vue?

Schramm - Eastbourne?

I hear people saying that its the weakest line-up in the British final for some time, well deal with it thats all we've got and until certain people start to give the "lesser riders" a chance it will be Scotty, Bomber and Kennett for some time to come!

Congratulations to Chris Harris on his fine win.

A unhappy PL fan. :mad:

Have to say I agree with everything said.

Me and my Dad were getting increasingly annoyed with Kelvin moaning every two minutes about Tully moving at the starts or how brilliant "Our Very Own" Scott Nicholls was, and how he will have a "Second Chance" at Cardiff.... I've lost count in how many "Chances" Scott has had in the GPs, and never done anything. I was also annoyed at how ungrateful he seemed when interviewed by Chris Louis, most of the guys would have given anything to be in the position he was. Bomber was brilliant all night, and was by far the best on the night. Fair enough if you like him, but you don't have to mention him every two minutes!!!!

If Sky would give the PL a chance they would see how exciting the racing can be, and how much more interesting it is.

Was left feeling rather disappointed last night

The difference in crowds levels is alarming to say the least.

Something to do with it being £20 for what is largely a PL standard line up? Think it was maybe the first time at a speedway meeting I have felt a little ripped off.