British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

1997 Test Match

Can someone please confirm that the only Test Matches involving an England or GB team in 1997 was the series against Australia?

Im sorry Kevin I can neither confirm or deny this statement, but am appalled that no one has so far deemed to reply to this question, this being a speedway forum and all.

There is a rumour that a Lt Columbo is hot on the trail of this answer, and it will be just a question of of time before the full facts emerge...

Guest cheetahhawk

I have a feeling you are right Kev about the test matches as I seem to remember seeing an England vAussie meeting at Eastbourne that year.

Not totally sure, as that year we were somewhat dissolusioned with speedway in general after London Lions closing the year before and never went to very many meetings that year.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Not that this is positive proof Kevin but the excellent

http://world.speedway.org/1997/gb/

only lists one series of test matches (three tests vs Aust) in 1997. I can't find anywhere where it says they were the only tests though !!

Interesting to note that Australia won 2-1 and Martin Dugard got a 4 ride "minimum" at Eastbourne. In the review of the Eastbourne test I did quite like the line .... "while the English collective somewhat resembled a group of individuals arriving at a party each expecting the other to bring a bottle...."