British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

That's another fine race you've gotten me in to.

I thought I'd do this one as it's referred to in this week's Speedway Star. It's Heat 4 of the 1982 World Final between Bruce Penhall and Les Collins.

Great stuff Grach.

Even though Penhall lost that race (Les seemed to have the faster bike) you have to admire his total control and track craft at full throttle there - one of the most talented ever surely.

Some idiots think that Les was beaten by his borther Peter in the 1982 Finals. Morons!! We, of course, know better than that!

Edited by Grachan

all if's and but's at that final...

Carter v Penhall would be worth seeing if you get a chance please Grachan

i was sat just as the 2nd bend met the straight and still think Carter was unlucky... maybe he could have gone on to win??

Les could so easily been World Champion though. He was actually beaten by Jiri Stancl and his own brother Peter, both of whom did very little all night. Peter had only scored 1 point up to their race together so was well out of it. If Peter had let Les past in the way the Americans had at White City there would have been a run-off for the title between Les and Bruce.

I think you're mistaken there Grach. PC didn't beat Les at all. As I recall, Les was beaten by Stancl and Kelly Moran (?). Anyone?

Jiri Stancl and Jan Andersson in Heat 10.

Peter Collins finished last in that race.

Damn the quote button! Damn it to hell!

Edited by Grachan

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Wow, what a race. Who cares about Golden Jokers and guests and averages when God makes speedway races like that.

all if's and but's at that final...

Carter v Penhall would be worth seeing if you get a chance please Grachan

i was sat just as the 2nd bend met the straight and still think Carter was unlucky... maybe he could have gone on to win??

And before Grachan does put up this all-time classic, let me be the first to say it: "HE HAD NOOOOOOOOO CHANCE!" :mad::D

Nice one Grachan - ive managed to catch your last few and they are outstanding!

I cant remember which world final it was (possibly 81) but there was a race between Penhall and Olsen I believe where they were side by side practically for the whole race and actually bizarrely lifted in the same way at the same time on one bend - do you have this one?

Wow, what a race. Who cares about Golden Jokers and guests and averages when God makes speedway races like that.

and all on a 'one off' track....

someone has all the secrets

Guest maddriver

Not forgetting the Knudsen race too!

Take a look at THIS crash by Bob Coles at the old Eastville stadium.

Cripes! Was he alright?

Bruce v Les, wowee Mr Grachan!!

Bob Coles?? Yes, he was riding at Mildenhall on the Sunday as normal.

I think this crash was shown repeatedly that week on the weekday evening news programme in the West Country. .

As I lived in Suffolk then I can't confirm that. News of it made our programme though.

Mr Coles was THE MAN at that time (1978) and without whom Mildenhall probably wouldn't been in existence as he held in all together pointswise in 75,76 and 77.

Bob Coles is a very hard man indeed.

The only meeting I remember him missing for the Fen Tigers was when he accidently hit his then very young son Mike (now Exeter Falcon) on the head with a spanner one Sunday morning. He had been watching Bob prepare a bike for that afternoon's meeting but they missed it as Mike was rushed to casualty.

Does Mike still have a dent I wonder??

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Cheers Grachan, I look forward to your mum putting lots more of that tape on the forum !!

Says a lot for ex speedway riders that they look at that tape of themselves crashing and while the interviewer is horrified the rider is laughing about it !! Bet it wasn't funny at the time though.

PS Do you get your mum stuff like a new power drill for Christmas too ?