British Speedway Forum
REBELS77

Once Your Team Has Closed Down

I was living in Wembley at the time and as schoolboy I started following the Lions in 1970 when they re-opened but unfortunately they closed by the end of 1971 so in only two seasons out of 40 have I had a home track to follow.

Due to family connections I was fortunate enough to see a lot of Ipswich and made regular trips to Foxhall Heath in the mid to late 70's and in 1978 I managed to do all home and away fixtures for the Witches whilst I still lived in Wembley. I still a have soft spot for the Witches these days. I have also managed a complete season of home fixtures at Hackney in 1981.

Fifteen years ago I moved to Buckinghamshire where Oxford and Reading became my nearest tracks and although I did not support either team I was fairly regular in attendance at Cowley and Smallmead and really do miss Speedway at both.

I reached double figures at Coventry, Swindon and Rye House last season which are my three nearest tracks now and will probably do double figures at those tracks again this year.

Whilst I do not profess to support a particular team I do like to see both Coventry and Ipswich doing well and I have reallly enjoyed all those years of simply being a Speedway fan as opposed to following a particular club.

I was a White City fan, really loved supporting them 76-78 the great league winning team of 77

Gordon Kennett Steve Weatherley Marek Cieslak still heros to me,but once it shut down followed

Eastbourne and enjoyed they 2 titles in 86 and 87,But once you team has gone it never feels the same

went to Wimbledon and Hackney but felt like I was just watching as I love the sport, has anybody supported another team once your track has shut down and really meant it or deep down you knew that as for me you only loved that first team you supported.....

Couldnt agree more,after the Rebels packed up in 78 i didnt attend any meetings in 79.1980 saw me visit the dark side and i went to Hackney most weeks and Wimbledon every week at home as well as some away matches,but it just didnt seem the same.no other team seemed as good to me.I have now been visiting Somerset for a few years and although the racing is entertaining its still just not the same and i dont think it ever will be

Since Exeter closed five years ago I can honestly say that I have not been able to "support" another team.

Mainly due to finances I go to very few meetings these days,however I do like to keep an eye on Somerset and when I can visit it is a treat to watch the racing there,wish for them to win, however,I don't get that deep down burning fire in me belly that it is MY team.

Maybe it was the uniqueness of The County Ground and watching the Falcons mainly at home for nigh on 40 years,to me anything else just is not the same,even if the racing is better!! (matter of opinion) :)

I still love speedway to bits but no matter where or what I watch or see, or how good the racing is. in my heart it is not the same as the feeling of watching our beloved Falcons flying and every second and every move of every race keeping you on edge,willing them on even if getting thrashed or a length behind or some nutter going to try and do the impossible and get away with it-(Richard Green and Vaclav immediately spring to mind)--Oh and of course the good times winning the league KOC etc :P

You can love the sport,but to love the sport with your team part of it is something that is the difference imo and adds the 20% extra special feeling.

Once a Falcon always a Falcon and I can't see anything ever changing that deep down.

The one thing that will forever stick in my mind and my son's is that at least we were lucky enough to see the closure of The County Ground in style and was known about whereas other fans of other tracks have not been that lucky with their track suddenly closed down without warning and no chance to say goodbye which must be ten times worse :(

Thankfully The Exeter faithful and many other fans had that chance to say goodbye to our unique,tumble down antiquated,decrepid,and any other word you wish to use home since the year dot. :P

Edited by Nevs

When the Rockets closed in 1993 it affected me badly and I couldn't raise the enthusiasm to go anywhere else for some time. Being based in London then my other option was Arena Essex but I've never been a fan of the place due to its dreadful lack of facilities and the poor racing so the options were pretty limited at the time.

Ironically once we fought to get the Rockets back in 1999 I then had to give them up after thirty years the following season.

People really do screw things up for you sometimes.

It's still odd - I can't relate to the post 2000 Rockets as my team but I suppose the years of commentating gave me the ability to enjoy meetings as a neutral. There are times when I could just do with having a local team to head to every week, just find a quiet corner and enjoy without all the complications that getting involved bring.

When the Rockets were at Rayleigh they were two miles from me - it's been 36 years since I had a truly local track.

Maybe Bristol could be an opportunity if it comes off.

Rob McCaffery.

Edited by rmc

It is possible to completely change support to another team once your own track closes down, even in my case to the deadly rivals of the Leicester Lions. I'm now so committed to the Coventry Bees that I'm not even that bothered about Leicester re-opening....if it happens.

Perhaps I should get help. :lol:

I have only started watching Speedway again at Belle Vue in the last 3 years since Leicester closed so I guess I still have an old soft spot for the Lions- was looking forward to visiting family to coincide with home meetings but we'll have to wait and see. Can see how you can get attached to another team.....but Coventry??. I suppose there was little alternative other than giving up on speedway like I did so all is forgiven...but please do consider the option of getting help!

It is possible to completely change support to another team once your own track closes down, even in my case to the deadly rivals of the Leicester Lions. I'm now so committed to the Coventry Bees that I'm not even that bothered about Leicester re-opening....if it happens.

Perhaps I should get help. :lol:

I was shocked when I read this .... you are a sick sick woman. :shock:

Mind u, i still go 2 Odsal 2 watch the rugby & just back from there 2nite & it still saddens me that such a great track & stadium has been seemingly lost forever to the sport. Great great tragedy as 13 yrs have passed & the stadium hasnt even been touched!!!

You're not the Bulls fan that wears a Kenny Carter Racing Jacket are you??

From the Exiled Pirates Bulls Fan

You're not the Bulls fan that wears a Kenny Carter Racing Jacket are you??

From the Exiled Pirates Bulls Fan

No, i was 13 when KC had his moment of madness so even tho i had one of his jackets i doubt it'd fit me now as i've probably trebled my bodyweight since then!!!

I do still regularly attend Odsal tho & last week went to sit with my mate & his kids in the main stand for the 1st time in yrs & it brought back a lot of memories from when i sat in there for the Dukes meetings.

Still truly gutted that there isnt racing there but if it did come back (cant ever see it sadly) then i still couldnt miss the Aces now. Love my trips over there to see my mates & it'll be even better if (fingers x'd!!!) we get a new spanking stadium and track in the not 2 distant!!!

Now that would make the 90 minute round trip well and truly worthwhile!!!

reading the recent post from Wembley Lion was like looking at something I could have written - very spooky. As a teenager living in Wembley my grandparents introduced me to the first two seasons at the old stadium and I can still see those old favourites of Bert Harkins, Gote Nordin, Tony Clarke and a very young Christer Lofqvist - those were the days!!

I too have then been a wandering nomad by going across to see the Hackney Hawks, and another couple of great seasons with the White City Rebels - remembering the first sighting of Kai Niemi, the talent of Steve weatherley and of course the master Mr Kennett. Then ,when the Rebels shut up shop it was off to see the Dons followed by a long period of disillusionment with speeedway. In the last 6 or 7 years I got back to it following the Racers and the odd trip to Oxford.

looking at my speedway history one thing seems to stand out - all of the clubs I have followed have all shut down and now there is no track in striking distance of Heathrow for me to regulalry visit.

So to all those supporters on the forum who can sometimes have a right old whinge and moan and groan about 'thier riders, track or management' I say........... just be grateful you have a team to support and enjoy it

I was shocked when I read this .... you are a sick sick woman. :shock:

So I do need help then. :lol: To be honest I'll no doubt be more interested when it gets off the ground but in the meantime I'm not getting too excited. It will probably take me as long to get across to Beaumont Leys as it does to zip up the M69 to Coventry.

For those ex-Leicester fans who since 1983 have not changed their support to either Long Eaton, Peterborough or Coventry it's no doubt the greatest news ever that Leicester are re-opening but as I have been supporting the Bees for the past 27 years it's not such a big deal for me.

I've probably not explained myself very well but I know what I mean. :wink:

Edited by Gemini

I've seen the Dons close twice now :cry: I follow Swindon now but it isn't my team, even now if anyone asks I support Wimbledon but cheer the Robins as they are my local club. It is not so bad, I can get really behind Swindon and made loads of friends there, but I would exchange all the good times I have had at Blunsdon for a return to plough lane.

Up the Dons

• Like 1

After Wimbledon closed the first time I drifted away from the sport completely. Although this period coincided with my "raving days" so whether I would have been going every week is debateable anyway!

Got back into the sport when SKY started broadcasting and my first meeting back was at Brandon where I think Crump and Sullivan were riding for Peterborough against Cov. Wimbledon came back a few years later and I missed all but a handful of home meetings and done a few aways.

I mainly follow Nicki in the GP's now but despite living 20 mins from Rye I can rarely muster up the enthusiasm to go, even gto cheer on the opposition.

I will never be able to "support" another team it just wouldn't feel right. :cry:

reading the recent post from Wembley Lion was like looking at something I could have written - very spooky. As a teenager living in Wembley my grandparents introduced me to the first two seasons at the old stadium and I can still see those old favourites of Bert Harkins, Gote Nordin, Tony Clarke and a very young Christer Lofqvist - those were the days!!

Do you mean Christer Lofqvist as i) he didn't ride for Wembley and ii) he was 26 when Wembley returned in 1970?

Christer Sjosten maybe?

Edited by norbold

Norbold - you are right; I did mean Sjosten in terms of a few occasions with the Lions but remember seeing Lofqvist in the second halves and he also cleaned up with a 15pt maximum when West Ham visited in 1970

Also a very young Tommy Jansson had a couple of second half outings I think??

I will always be a Hackney Hawks fan, however once they closed I went to Oxford as they were the easiest track to reach by public transport from Central London. You guessed it, now they have closed as well.

I am glad Uncle Len re-opened Rye House, and kept his policy of encouraging young talent, they have been an interesting side to watch.

It was sad to see Wimbledon close again, but the recent period just wasn't the same as watching them in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

I have never understood why Arena Essex did not Capitalise on their position as the only Elite Track near London, there were many Hackney and Wimbledon supporters they could have captured! There is a station (Chafford Hundred) nearby, if the pits gate turnstiles are open it is a 15 minute walk, if not (as usual) then it is a 30-45 min. walk. They could have run a bus service from the station.

Let's hope the Olympic Stadium (or vecinity) has a Speedway track, even if it only stages a Grand Prix, Grand Prix Challenge or World Cup events.