British Speedway Forum
fatface

Halifax Dukes - why an elephant??

On another thread I got talking with Evo and neither of us know why the Dukes used an elephant as their symbol. Anyone know why?:oops:

No saying its because they moved at the same speed now! ;) :evil: :shock:

I think it was something to do with the army regiment that was based in the town ,Shoddy's the man to ask being an ex Duke and all lol

The reason for the elephant is because the team took the emblem of the Halifax based Duke of Wellington army regiment, so full marks to Andrew, therefore the elephant appeared on the race jacket and the teams nickname became the dukes.

Thanks guys. I'll be able to sleep at night now. :D

When the Dukes moved to Bradford why did they get rid of the Elephant and have a cross on their race-jackets?

Dude that one is easy,.... no home track advantage, found religion... See I am not so dumb.. Did I win a prize? :)

When the Dukes moved to Bradford why did they get rid of the Elephant and have a cross on their race-jackets?

From what I remember there was a competition for local schools to design a race jacket and it just needed to say 'Dukes' and 'Coalite' (then sponsers) on it the rest was imagination :D

The so called cross went after a few years and was replaced by a crown on a ble and red shield sort of design.

(On behalf of Trackman)

Well at least it wasn't a swan :D

From what I remember there was a competition for local schools to design a race jacket and it just needed to say 'Dukes' and 'Coalite' (then sponsers) on it the rest was imagination :D

The so called cross went after a few years and was replaced by a crown on a ble and red shield sort of design.

Thanks jez, glad to know there wasn't any logic involved.

Shoddy :?: he's a forum member, he runs the fantasy league,when I said ex Duke I meant supporter,not rider :D but he's seen the error of his ways and is now a Tigers fan just like forum manager Phil,but all the old traits came out at the Northern riders when Havvy and co were on track :evil:

Shoddy :?: he's a forum member, he runs the fantasy league,when I said ex Duke I meant supporter,not rider :D but he's seen the error of his ways and is now a Tigers fan just like forum manager Phil,but all the old traits came out at the Northern riders when Havvy and co were on track :evil:

Andrew thats cos ex Dukes fans would support Sheffield any day of the week as our only alternative is to go to Kirky Lane, no thank you :!: :twisted: :P

I have never understood why there is no traditional team identity in speedway.

Teams change racejackets and nick-names so often, if football teams tried it, fans would be apoplectic with rage.

I understand promotional changes, licence transfers and how it happens, I just don't understand why it happens. But actually, given the general level of a Speedway promoter's understanding of promotion, it's quite obvious. - I mean, WEST HAM HAWKS for christ's sake!!!!! :?

Hammar you seem to have difficulty grasping this as you constantly refer to it but speedway and football ARE NOT THE SAME.

If you are desperate for comparisons, speedway teams changing jackets is no different to football clubs changing sponsors(and strip design) and if you care to look back in history you will see that some football clubs have even had a few different nicknames in the past.

Lioness Whilst I appreciate the fact that you enjoy being contrary without furthering a sensible debate, I make comparison,s to football as it is the biggest sport on the planet and is a convenient reference when debating issues surrounding team sports.

Yes, you are right that football teams do change their strip regularly, but if any league team tried to rename themselves(just look at the Wimbledon example), the fans would go mad. Even nicknames or team emblems are part of the team's history and have an important place in the psyche of the local community.

The fact that Speedway teams have a habit of doing this contributes to the outside world thinking Speedway is a toy sport.

Edinburgh Weasles in 2004 then Scotland Baxters Soup Haggis's in 2005

(would you like it) Mind you, most Speedway fans would watch seven Chimps on tricycles if the promoter's tried it.

Please reply in a relevant and constructive way

Lots of Love - Hammer :roll: