Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

So Mother T, by you saying "New technology, it's gotta be used to benefit the sport..." you are making a case that cameras / replays should be available at ALL matches aren't you? And that clearly ISN'T on!

YES, they should be available at every meeting 100%, just like air fences should and a new, reliable way of recording race times but they aren't, so speedway has to take advantage of them when they are surely??

I know I'm about to incur the wrath of everyone here, and ignoring the technology argument, as I didn't have that last night, I thought that Dave Robinson got most decisions right, but I sit in front of the referees box and get the same view.

Artur moved, both times, be it only slightly second time, but live on the night I thought he'd moved. I would concede that having come home and seen it again on the recording it was minimal, actually looked lees than 'live'.

I thought Jason Doyle fell on his own, and while the dirt deflector argument was made it was not clear in my mind on the replays, allied to the fact that Jason was not in a good position on the track which could have suggested (not that I'm saying he did) that he put the bike down.

I thought the decision to exclude Hougaard was right and a brave decision. I said at the time, and it was confirmed on the replays at home, that Hougaard looked accross at Bjarne's position on the track before cutting accross him and taking his front wheel. I don't think that he meant to bring him down, but blatantly cutting accross the line of another rider like that is not right, technically in front or not.

Just my view folks. Two sides to every argument.

regarding video tech im sure most clubs have video people filming the meeting and im sure i read somewhere that re run videos helped the ref out at one lakeside meeting when he asked them for a video replay!!! makes sence as they stand next door to him in the box

Edited by speedy den boy

I would doubt that any referee would watch TV replays before making any decision during the course of any Sky TV match they are officiating at - afterall they wouldn't be able to consult such replays at any other match would they?

I would have thought the referee would have used anything that gives him the best idea of what happened so that he makes the correct decision everytime, unfortunately some of our speedway referees are generally incompetent and unable to make any decision least of all the right one.

On that basis Mother T, then surely the referees' association could insist on three or four cameras in different positions at ALL meetings to make things fair - and that clearly is not on! Why have one set of parameters to work within for televised matches and another set for others? :rolleyes:

You're talking nonsense Bryn. If the Sky cameras are there they have to be used.

In an ideal world there'd be camereas at every match, but you can't refuse to use them when they are there because "we don't have cameras at all matches" That would be like me taking the air bags out of my car because there are still some cars on the road without them. Absurd.

Edited by home straight

I know I'm about to incur the wrath of everyone here, and ignoring the technology argument, as I didn't have that last night, I thought that Dave Robinson got most decisions right, but I sit in front of the referees box and get the same view.

Artur moved, both times, be it only slightly second time, but live on the night I thought he'd moved. I would concede that having come home and seen it again on the recording it was minimal, actually looked lees than 'live'.

I thought Jason Doyle fell on his own, and while the dirt deflector argument was made it was not clear in my mind on the replays, allied to the fact that Jason was not in a good position on the track which could have suggested (not that I'm saying he did) that he put the bike down.

I thought the decision to exclude Hougaard was right and a brave decision. I said at the time, and it was confirmed on the replays at home, that Hougaard looked accross at Bjarne's position on the track before cutting accross him and taking his front wheel. I don't think that he meant to bring him down, but blatantly cutting accross the line of another rider like that is not right, technically in front or not.

Just my view folks. Two sides to every argument.

Agree 100%.

You're talking nonsense Bryn. If the Sky cameras are there they have to be used.

In an ideal world there'd be camereas at every match, but you can't refuse to use them when they are there because "we don't have cameras at all matches" That would be like me taking the air bags out of my car because there are still some cars on the road without them. Absurd.

I'm not talking nonsense at all "home straight!" :rolleyes: Whilst you personally might be of the opinion that Sky TV replays should be used in televised matches, an opinion you indeed have the perfect right to express, there's nothing whatsoever in the rulebook to say a ref can't refuse to use them or indeed has to use them! :rolleyes:

Edited by Bryn

I'm not talking nonsense at all "home straight!" :rolleyes: Whilst you personally might be of the opinion that Sky TV replays should be used in televised matches, an opinion you indeed have the perfect right to express, there's nothing whatsoever in the rulebook to say a ref can't refuse to use them or indeed has to use them! :rolleyes:

Maybe. But surely it's common sense to have a quick peek. Might make the ref prevent his/herself making an arse of themselves on live TV (particularly as the team managers and riders are clearly using the facility themselves).

Video has been at tracks for at least 20 years now and I guess all tracks have it. They used to run replays on incidents at Swindon, but don't any more. No idea why.

Edited by Grachan

I really couldn't give two hoots what the rule book does or doesn't say. It's patently obvious that if the technology is there then it should be used.

If a referee chooses not to use all the information available to him, he's essentially stubbornly choosing ignorance and therefore can't be relied upon to make the correct calls.

Maybe. But surely it's common sense to have a quick peek. Might make the ref prevent his/herself making an arse of themselves on live TV (particularly as the team managers and riders are clearly using the facility themselves).

Video has been at tracks for at least 20 years now and I guess all tracks have it. They used to run replays on incidents at Swindon, but don't any more. No idea why.

Referees have used the replay facilities at Monmore many times in the past, even when Sky aren't present.

i went to newport a couple of weeks ago for the rye house match. the referee used video evidence after the last race to help him make the decision to exclude linus sundstrom. his verdict cost the rockets a win on the day.

I would doubt that any referee would watch TV replays before making any decision during the course of any Sky TV match they are officiating at - afterall they wouldn't be able to consult such replays at any other match would they?

Bryn, I have often heard it announced that there is a delay in the decision making because that's exactly what the ref was doing so I think it happens more often than you might believe!

Not having seen this match I can't comment on those decisions, but while an individual decision can be appealed, is there any option for clubs or riders or fans to feed back to the SCB to have a ref put on observation in the light of consistently bad decisions?

It proved last night that riders HAVE to fall to get a decision for or against them which is why Doyle stayed down surely, Kelvin pointed it out two or three times later. Bad refereeing surely and another reason why ex-riders should be referees ..............

Ex riders can make a fist of refereeing just like non rider referees. Also look at how two ex riders in Middlo and Morton disagreed at the decisions.