British Speedway Forum

Why not just ensure that riders actually line up at the tapes.... not about a foot back... so that if they move, they touch the tape.

Think that would that ever work ?? :blink:

Well, we've all seen marshals physically drag wheels to the tapes only for the rider to ease back immediately afterwards. You'd need a referee who was prepared to exclude a rider doing that. Possibly Dave Robinson!

I've had the pleasure of sitting alongside nigh on all the current British referees and others who no longer officiate 'foreverblue' when announcing at various tracks over the years, and I'm look forward to doing so with those I haven't done as yet, primarily the ones who have qualified this year, in due course.

My experience is that ALL referees, when called upon to adjudicate upon any incident occuring during the course of a meeting do so objectively, honestly and base any decisions they make in terms of how they view any particular incident from what they see from where they are standing / sitting.

Now from the tone of your posts 'foreverblue' you clearly aren't happy with many decisions referees make that go against the side you support and that probably is the case with most fans on the terraces, certainly immediately decisions are made, although on reflection some will honestly admit some such adverse decisions were possibly / probably right.

You advocate sacking of referees so I wonder if you are under the mistaken impression that referees are paid a 'living wage' for their services? THAT I can assure you is NOT the case. I would state with almost total certainty that most, if not all current referees combine their refereeing duties with a full time occupation.

Primarily they, like myself and most of the people who frequent this forum are, first and foremost, devotees of this sport. They decide that they both want to, and importantly have the time to get more involved as it were and thus volunteer to undergo a lengthy period of training, travelling to meetings learning 'the ropes' as it were alongside established referees and eventually undertake testing that they hope will lead to them qualifying to take control of meetings themselves as qualified referees.

ALL refs, even long established ones are independently 'assessed' periodically, as indeed they were last year. Now if your suggestion that those who make decisions that you don't agree with should be sacked, what happens then? Who'd replace them? You perhaps? The SCB as I understand it, are always willing to look at new applications but there's rarely, if ever, a stampede of those.

Referees aren't perfect but there again none of us are - or are we 'foreverblue?' :rolleyes:

Bryn is support of officials - shock, horror!

Why not just ensure that riders actually line up at the tapes.... not about a foot back... so that if they move, they touch the tape.

Think that would that ever work ?? :blink:

Under the rules 'wightlink flyer,' (14.10 to be precise) that initially comes under the start marshal's duties! He/she must ensure, amongst other things, that all riders' front wheels are within 75mm (don't ask me what that is in English!) of the tapes before signalling to the ref that he's happy for the latter to assume control and start the race.

Bryn is support of officials - shock, horror!

No - merely stating facts / my opinion based on experience 'salty.'

Edited by Bryn

Was meant slightly tounge in cheek Bryn.... hence the googly eyes.

I am sure if good ol' "Five laps" said he was happy... but the ref was not, then the green lights would not go on ??

See you on the ferry soon.

Edited by wightlink flyer

Was meant slightly tounge in cheek Bryn.... hence the googly eyes.

I am sure if good ol' "Five laps" said he was happy... but the ref was not, then the green lights would not go on ??

See you on the ferry soon.

I wonder if "Five Laps" has any more of an idea than I have (which is none at all! :lol: ) of what sort of distance 75mm actually is! :P

I didn't say that if a referee made a couple of mistakes they should be sacked and i am not just looking at this from a biased point of view as i have been to many meetings where my team was not involved and the standard of some referees seems to be not as good as it should be.

Also it is my understanding that mr Robinson has a history of dubious or blatently wrong decisions and if that is the case then surely his competence must come into question.

I understand that it may only be a part time job and they largely do it for the love of the sport but there still has to be an element of accountability and has any referee been stood down after assessment.

Foreverblue..

What really seems to be escaping you is that, if you read this thread, you will quite clearly see that on every single one of the referees decisions there is a difference of opinion.

Which renders your entire argument invalid.

I wonder if "Five Laps" has any more of an idea than I have (which is none at all! :lol: ) of what sort of distance 75mm actually is! :P

it's this distance Bryn --------------------------------------------------------- :lol:

Foreverblue..

What really seems to be escaping you is that, if you read this thread, you will quite clearly see that on every single one of the referees decisions there is a difference of opinion.

Which renders your entire argument invalid.

This discussion was not started by me but by several posters who don't all live in the Poole area and all agreed about some very dubious decisions.

If there is doubt and the referee has the benefit of looking at replays, why didnt he.Surely it is unprofessional if the technology is there not to use it.If after looking at replays he still comes to the same decision then fair enough but not to at least look at one replay isnt being fair to either team.

it's this distance Bryn --------------------------------------------------------- :lol:

Ah - now I know! Ta muchly 'screamer'. :P

In english money that's 3 inches :rolleyes:

i still think a rider shouldn't get excluded unles he actually touches the tapes ... if riders want to take a chance of anticipating them then thats up to him, as long as he doesn't touch them .. if someone gets a 'flyer' then good for him, and if someone is twitchy at the start and causes someone else to touch them, then thats gamesmanship.

as long as a rider doesn't touch the things, then it might get rid of all this crap about unsatisfactory start

On that basis Mother T, then surely the referees' association could insist on three or four cameras in different positions at ALL meetings to make things fair - and that clearly is not on! Why have one set of parameters to work within for televised matches and another set for others? :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you, Bryn. It would be totally impractical to have two methods of decision making.

I feel that referees should not have sight of television monitors during matches. Decisions should be made on the naked eye principal as they are in matches which are not televised.

It's ludicrous to have what amounts to having two methods of making crucial decisions. This is illustrated by the fact that this matter has been presented for discussion.

I agree with you as well. I thought the ref made the correct decisions.

Artur correctly got thrown out after a warning.

Jason tried the Sam Ermolenko cheats trick of staying down at the slightest touch hoping to get a rerun. You did not see Tai doing that in the GP to get a rerun, or Hans last night, fair play to the two of them. Jason rightly excluded for being the cause of the stoppage of the race.

If anything the decision to exclude Hougaard was the incorrect one, but justified by Patrick moving out off line. Although i have seen Bjarne do much worse than that at Poole because you have to move out so much to get out the dirt line on the 2nd bend. If that was Nicki P getting excluded he would have been spitting feathers....

Whilst agreeing with all else you say, JD, I cannot accept the comment I have highlighted. Surely a decision cannot be both 'incorrect' and yet 'justified'?

Are you not contradicting yourself? Perhaps you would clarify that statement.

Come on everyone dave is a lovely bloke and personly attacking him will get u all no were