British Speedway Forum
Sean

Vintage speedway mag, film evening, 8/11/03

Stan's a mate of mine. Lives fairly near me in Witham.

He was a cycle speedway star in the mid 50s; rode for England. He started speedway at Rye House and was their discovery of the year in 1959. He stayed with Rye House for a couple of seasons, doubling up in the Provincial League for Rayleigh as part of their all-conquering title winning side in 1960. He moved on to New Cross in 1963 and then had several seasons with West Ham and was in and out the team throughout their revival period - 1964 - 1972. I think he was the only 'Hammer' also to ride as a 'Bomber'!

As a West Ham supporter, Stan was my favourite rider. He was never a great star but was always a never-give-up trier. The sort of second string any team needs if they are to challenge for honours.

I met him again in 2000 when I was doing research for my East Anglia book. He has always been very helpful and is happy to spend hours discussing the old days, other riders, Lokeren, the sport in general etc. etc.

It just so happens there is an action photograph of him in West Ham colours on page 163 of Speedway in London.

It just so happens there is an action photograph of him in West Ham colours on page 163 of Speedway in London.

and if you haven't got a copy yet..WHY NOT?

if there was a wire on the end of your post, i would say.... that was a plug!

:D