British Speedway Forum
discoll

Ice Racing in Assen 2004

I am thinking of going to the finals in March and wonderd if any one else here will be going, or if you have been before what can you warn me about besides 'it will be cold'.

I am going for the first time and can't wait :D Going with Pammie and her folks. They go regularly as well as quite a few other Edinburgh fans and always have a ball so I am sure you will too Discoll.

Maybe we can meet up this time seeing as you whizzed past me when you came up to Armadale and never had time to say hello :P

I am thinking of going to the finals in March and wonderd if any one else here will be going, or if you have been before what can you warn me about besides 'it will be cold'.

nothing else to warn you about really...it does get cold but its far more colder when you watch it in russia & sweden!!!!.....but you will love it..its much faster than it looks on tv....and assen is IMO one of the best tracks from my experience...i havent been for 3 years as work commitments make it harder these days but i know when i can eventually i will start going again!!

oh and wear a russian hat or a big beanie and deffo not a baseball cap cos yer ears will fall of!!! lol..but i try not to wear too many layers cos you cant move!..a nice big stadium or paddock jacket will do nicely!..stating the obvious i know but you do see some vanity even in sub zero conditions!!!! :shock:

Thanks for the replies M.L. & H'S, it looks like I will be going on my tod so at least I know I can look out for the guys in the kilts if I need help filling out my programme.

Maybe we can meet up this time seeing as you whizzed past me when you came up to Armadale and never had time to say hello

Sorry about that ML I think the bloke driving was in a bit of a hurry to get somewhere.

oh and wear a russian hat or a big beanie and deffo not a baseball cap cos yer ears will fall of!!! lol..but i try not to wear too many layers cos you cant move!..a nice big stadium or paddock jacket will do nicely!..stating the obvious i know but you do see some vanity even in sub zero conditions!!!!

Vanity, thats my middle name undies by Matalan tops by Makro. ;)

There is only one real problem with the ice racing at assen, and thats that you will find the convential speedway pretty boring for a while.

As already mentioned, the speed difference is quite pronounced, and when they come out for the first race, your initial thought will be that there is no way on earth, that all 4 will emerge from the second turn. I would suggest trying to get a spot on the first corner to watch, as the first turns really are impressive. It has to be said that the crashes really are spectacular when they occur, with straw bales going in all directions, but never fear, these guys are really tough, and will shake themselves down, and be going again in a very short period of time.

The meetings themselves are very efficiently run, and will be run at an extremely frantic pace, and the meetings, well the actual racing will start at exactly the time advertised. You do not need to worry about the announcers as all of the announcements will be made in English, including the race times - they are given after every 4 races whilst the track grading is taking place. The only thing taht we finf frustrating is that there is never a victors parade after the racing has finished.

On the Saturday night racing, Groningen really is the place to be (in my humble opinion). It really is a city that never sleeps, and at 3 or 4 in the morning, the streets seem to have more people on them than your average UK high street on the Saturday before Christmas. Finding a drink is no problem at all, as there is a saying that the resisents of Groningen each have a bar to go to.....There really is no shortage.

Have loads of fun there, and I'm already looking forward to seeing your meeting report.

all of you who are going are so lucky.. have fun!!! :)

I am having a bit of trouble getting stadium tickets I keep trying on the web site and now its gone missing. ML /Pammie have you got tickets ? help.

I have the flight booked the hotel a car even a parking space booked at Stansted. Anyone got a phone number ? I don't want to be stood outside when the bikes are racing. :(

Guest cheetahhawk

Don't worry about being able to get in as there are always tickets on the gate/door at Assen.

I go over there most years with some of my mates from Oxford.For 2004 we are getting seats(I think that Pammie and her crowd get seats too.I first met Pammie at Assen in 2002)so if you want to sit in comfort you may have to pre book but if you don't mind standing up you will be able to get in on the night and the Sunday afternoon.

In my experience there is usually a larger crowd on the Saturday than the Sunday and it does get very cold but you really don't notice the cold when the racing is on.

A couple of years back it was snowing and then raining but it is all great entertainment. :)

The first time that I went was way back in 1976 before the covered stadium was there and it was so cold that our pens froze and it was snowing on the Saturday night,and as we weren't under the covered bit of the stadium we looked like snow people,I don't think I have ever been as cold since. :shock:

Thanks cheetahawk,

I will delay my panic attack for a bit longer, I have just been getting wound up trying to book online and getting no response at http://www.ijsspeedway-assen.nl/

:angry: Do you think they have been tipped off, what have I done :rolleyes:

Anyway it seems you had fun when you went even if it was cold. I’ve only watched it on the box and it has really impressed me and as rusky said:

There is only one real problem with the ice racing at Assen, and that’s that you will find the convential speedway pretty boring for a while
Sad to say I already do, the "It's a knockout" rules aren't helping either. I want to get in a few more meetings in Europe next year as I think the domestic scene is becoming a bit of a joke. :shock:

If there's good racing I want to be there, Ice, Grass or Shale B) with apologies to sandman

I am fairly sure that you will find that all of the sitting tickets are sold, certainly along the home straight. As previously mentioned you can get standing tickets on the day, and there is usually a ticket office open in the main complex (Near the swimming pool ticket office) all day.

You are best to pre book the seating tickets as they sell out well before the event takes place. We stood on back straigh the first year and on the 3rd bend and have been either standing or sitting on the 3rd/4th bend most years. We were sitting last year on the 4th bend great view too! :)

I would say the best views are from the bends if you can manage to get seats or standing there. Just watch out lumps of Ice flying at you!!! :wink:

Thanks rusky & Pammie

It's the prebooking thats failed, I can't get any response when I try to book, never mind I am going to get some R&R I will be back in a week, somethings going on then but I can't think what ;)

If it's any help, I have the phone number for tickets - you can contact me with a private message if you want the number. The whole of the main straight seating is sold out btw

Need to be e mail guys sorry, private messagiing is disabled on the board :(