British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ianmartin

Speedway Museum 2010

I've just returned home from a weekend away in Hertfordshire. Whilst there I took the opportunity to visit the British Speedway Museum. It is situated in the Paradise Wildlife Park. If you are interested in Speedway and it's History - then a visit to the Museum is a MUST. They have everything you could think of in there from old Rudge Dirt Track Bikes, JAPs, through the upright engines - Jawa, Weslake etc. up to the present day lay downs. That is not all - there are at least two Bikes that were ridden by Ivan Mauger, I saw one from Peter Collins and one from Chris Morton and one too from Bert Harkins. Present day Riders are not neglected either Jason Crump and Leigh Adams have Bikes in there too. It is not only Bikes - there are loads of body colours displayed, lots of Trophies won by Simon Wigg. Photographs, old Posters abound. There is a reconstructed Pits from the Thirties/Forties. There is a Tableau showing Peter Craven (statue) in action. I could go on and on. This REALLY is the place for the Speedway afficianado.

I will be returning for another (third) visit - there is just so much to see. It has changed since the last time I was there - but that is the way it is run. It is a living Museum that regularly changes stock and moves things around.

I can highly recommend this as an EXTREMELY interesting day out as you can see all the animals in the Wildlife Park too. If you went on a Saturday during the Season - you could take in the Speedway at Rye House and REALLY complete your Speedway Day Out.

Please go - if you can - I'm sure you will enjoy it.