British Speedway Forum

As will happen here , cause there's some Mickey Mouse foreign rubbish on this same weekend .

And I'm sure the Premier League Best Pairs is considered really important in Europe. In fact I'm not sure it's even important outside of, well, the Premier League, if that. If it wasn't a good stopping off point on the way to Cardiff, I doubt that many would bother about it anyway.

I do wish people would respect speedway in other countries, but typical of many UK fans is that nothing else matters, when in fact it's UK domestic speedway that becomes less and less important to many riders each year.

I can't seem to edit my previous post so will have to do another one.

Glasgow fans seem to think they are being singled out with Screen not being in the line-up. What about James Grieves not being allowed to represent Redcar?

With that in mind there must have been a cut off date or maybe a rider has to have ridden a set amount of meetings for their club now so that we don't have the farce of 2007 when Craig Watson was allowed to represent a club he hadn't ridden for.

Edited by Midnight_Lady

Looking forward to this meeting even more now we have qualified - hopefully we will go with Ashworth and Auty!!

Havelock is certainly no drawcard nowadays.

Maybe not to you or me, but he is to the armchair viewer who goes along to one meeting at Cardiff each year. And so would be Joe Screen. If Screen isn't allowed to ride, then it's an opportunity wasted to draw along the casual fan.

All the best

Rob

If Screen isn't allowed to ride, then it's an opportunity wasted to draw along the casual fan.

So basically according to you Screen should be allowed to ride as a drawcard? What about James Grieves, a rider who has been in the PL a damn site longer than Screen has.

So basically according to you Screen should be allowed to ride as a drawcard? What about James Grieves, a rider who has been in the PL a damn site longer than Screen has.

ML - where did I say that Grieves shouldn't be in the meeting? :rolleyes:

Of course he should. As long as the rider is in the official 1-7 of a side at the meeting and has rode for the club in a Premier League match, then they should be allowed to ride for that team in the Pairs.

All the best

Rob

ML - where did I say that Grieves shouldn't be in the meeting?

I do wish you would read things properly. I never suggested you said that. It's just that you hadn't mentioned his absence only Screen's.

Of course he should. As long as the rider is in the official 1-7 of a side at the meeting and has rode for the club in a Premier League match, then they should be allowed to ride for that team in the Pairs.

Irrespective of cut off dates? That's your rules.

I know they haven't been seen to be made public but how do we know there weren't rules to state cut off dates and/or number of meetings that had to be ridden for said club.

I do wish you would read things properly. I never suggested you said that. It's just that you hadn't mentioned his absence only Screen's.

Irrespective of cut off dates? That's your rules.

I know they haven't been seen to be made public but how do we know there weren't rules to state cut off dates and/or number of meetings that had to be ridden for said club.

ML, well to be honest, Screen is a little more high profile than Grieves. That's why his absence was mentioned first, but the omission of Grieves is wrong as well.

Both Screen and Grieves had ridden for their new clubs by the time the line-up was announced. Why have a cut-off date of several weeks ago? Who cares who was riding for who three or four weeks ago? :unsure:

All the best

Rob

Both Screen and Grieves had ridden for their new clubs by the time the line-up was announced. Why have a cut-off date of several weeks ago? Who cares who was riding for who three or four weeks ago? :unsure:

All the best

Rob

Sorry Rob I disagree.

Going on what you say then Tai Woffinden and Lee Richardson should have been in the British Final irrespective of the fact they didn't qualify according to the rules, because they are "draw cards"

The fact is no matter what is laid down the BSPA come in for a pounding. They can never win.

PS Screen may be a little more high profile than Grieves but it's Grieves who has given his time to the PL season after season :wink:

Edited by Midnight_Lady

And I'm sure the Premier League Best Pairs is considered really important in Europe. In fact I'm not sure it's even important outside of, well, the Premier League, if that. If it wasn't a good stopping off point on the way to Cardiff, I doubt that many would bother about it anyway.

I do wish people would respect speedway in other countries, but typical of many UK fans is that nothing else matters, when in fact it's UK domestic speedway that becomes less and less important to many riders each year.

Agree 100%.

The "mickey mouse" event that is being discussed is the Semi Final of the World U21 Team Cup. I think that holds a bit more weight in World Speedway than the Premier League pairs.

Glasgow fans seem to think they are being singled out with Screen not being in the line-up. What about James Grieves not being allowed to represent Redcar?

With that in mind there must have been a cut off date or maybe a rider has to have ridden a set amount of meetings for their club now so that we don't have the farce of 2007 when Craig Watson was allowed to represent a club he hadn't ridden for.

Not to mention hefenbrock of somerset, I read elsewhere that a rider had to have done 8 meetings for their club for them to be allowed to ride in the pairs (not sure if this is the same for the fours) seems sensible enough to me of course your never gonna please everybody or in the bspa's case anyone by the seems of it.

Looking forward to this meeting even more now we have qualified - hopefully we will go with Ashworth and Auty!!

I think that the Sheffield pairing is a no brainer, would love to see odds for a Sheffield win, not a betting man, but do think we could be a real dark horse for this meeting.

That's lucky for Redcar really as Grieves is shocking around Somerset and not well liked by the fans after he dumped Readie over the fence a few years back. He even turned down the chance to ride in the PL Pairs last year I believe. :lol:

Havelock maybe in advancing years and not the rider he once was but (when he has been paid! :rolleyes: ) is still a good rider around the OTA and would surely be mentioned by many Somerset fans if they had to nominate their best race seen at Highbridge. Not sure if it would be the race against Zorro, Doyley or Sam though! :unsure:

There is also no Hefenbrock for Somerset - No Hefenbrock, No Screen, No Grieves.. anyone see the trend now? Come on, it's not hard when you think about it.

Looks like Somerset have a pretty tough group.

I think that the Sheffield pairing is a no brainer, would love to see odds for a Sheffield win, not a betting man, but do think we could be a real dark horse for this meeting.

With the record they have at Somerset, it'd be a massive failure if they don't do well. There's no dark horse about it, Sheffield should be in with a shout of winning it.

Gutting for Birmingham they can't have Sedgmen and gutting for Edinburgh that they can't use Matty Wethers.

Edited by Najjer

No Joe Screen for Glasgow then :shock:

With Sheffield "qualifying" I'll have to be extra nice to the other half to nip down on route to Cardiff :)

Anyone have any tips on how to get your own way with a stubborn woman? :blink:

Chlorop....*Ouch* :rolleyes: