British Speedway Forum

Of course Commiserations to the Brummies, I am sure that they will go on to win some silverware this season.

I did remind your promoter of who you were riding against this coming Wednesday! :lol:

Congratulations to Sheffield.

I bet my mate spin king has a great big smile on his face :wink:

Very poor show from the Monarchs :o

What was poor ML was that Mr Fisher didn't even wear his teams colours and withdrew from his last heat when representing his team!A smack in the face to all the Monarchs fans that were at the OTA earlier.I thought he was a professional speedway rider!! :o

Well done to our southern counterparts, certainly a shock and a well earned victory. Also well done to our boys, Edinburgh who??? :rolleyes:, i recall a certain rider saying the following quote "It was like taking candy from a baby." :rolleyes:. Anyway well done to all involved and roll on the fours.

Jeez Parker Legend :rolleyes: basking in a "win by nickname association" noo-thats a tad sad! Yes our Monarchs pairing had a 'mare of a meeting, but thats just the way it goes sometimes.Roll on the fours indeed...

Edited by Young51

WOW! just seen the news and i must say i am over the moon! yes i made some comments about the meeting against Newcastle but i am so glad they have made me eat my words :approve:

about time we won something! well done Josh and Ricky :D

What was poor ML was that Mr Fisher didn't even wear his teams colours and withdrew from his last heat when representing his team!A smack in the face to all the Monarchs fans that were at the OTA earlier.I thought he was a professional speedway rider!! :o

Ah another Ryan Fisher lover comes out the works,and from Birmingham of all places-quelle surprise! :rolleyes::D Still rather have the Fish in my team faults included.Unlike some riders he is worth the price of admission most meetings.The pairs is pretty much a diddy competition these days anyway.Saying that though- well done to Wee Josh and Steve Mac Donald on their unexpected victory

Very good pics, idh.

Doesn't the track look rutty though?

The track looks like Portobello beach after the tourists have been clumping about on it all day to be honest.Nice photos tho'!Bucket and spade anyone? :D

think its just the amount of dirt the track has on, but yes i agree excellent pics

You're probably right, YP. My local track is Rye House so I've probably forgotten what dirt on a track looks like.

Ah another Ryan Fisher lover comes out the works,and from Birmingham of all places-quelle surprise! :rolleyes::D Still rather have the Fish in my team faults included.Unlike some riders he is worth the price of admission most meetings.The pairs is pretty much a diddy competition these days anyway.Saying that though- well done to Wee Josh and Steve Mac Donald on their unexpected victory

Ask your travelling supporters what they thought of it then. :rolleyes:

Ask your travelling supporters what they thought of it then. :rolleyes:

i'm sure they were fed up Bluejam,but would all of them still have him in oor team?I can't speak for them..but i would say AYE!All riders have nightmare meetings(as do us long suffering fans sometimes!)but the good/great ones far outweigh the bad :D 'Mon the Fish! :lol:

This was not a bad meeting at all unless of course you were a Monarchs' fan.

Frankly Edinburgh were an embarrassment.

We were last to arrive although Kevin could hardly be blamed for the road accident which prevented him getting to the track until just minutes before the parade which left him unsettled and flustered all evening. Then we were the only team with a rider not wearing a race jacket - it looked terrible although I gather Ryan thought that they would be supplied. Clearly nobody else thought that.

AS far as the racing went we needn't have bothered turning up. All we managed were two second places when Fisher beat McGowan in heat 6 benind Grajczonek and Wolbert beat Ashworth in heat 18 behind Auty. Otherwise we were well and truly skelped.

Ryan apparently had clutch problems and Kevin was riding a specially prepared engine that was useless. He changed to his normal one for his last race when he finished in second place.

To crown it all we were the only team to track just one rider in a race when Kevin was left to go it alone in heat 18.

What a humiliation.

As for the rest well Sheffield were thoroughly deserved winners with Josh Auty absolutely sensational. What a joy it was to watch his and Ricky Ashworth's delight at winning - they could hardly stand up such was their exhiliration at winning and they made straight for their fans on the third bend to celebrate. It was enough to make you fill up.

Birmingham were unlucky when Steve Johnston suffered bike problems in the final but it made no difference to the result as Auty blew Jason Lyons away by scorching round him to join Ricky Ashworth up front.

Somerset did well to come third after losing a 2-7 in their opening ride and Glasgow too did well to make the last four.

The track was too dry and dusty for the racing to be sensational but there were enough good ones to make this one of the better pairs events.

Star of the show was undoubtedly young Josh Auty with a brilliant display the likes of which I haven't seen in a long time. His performance was worth the price of admission alone.

Glad to see a very good crowd in attendance. The track may not have been at its best but Somerset is an attractive place to hold this event. The only thing that spoils it is the road system which always seems to produce accidents on a Friday night causing long delays. There's nothing the Rebels can do about that though.

The car parking and general amenities are very good at the Oak Tree Arena although standing on a sloped grass terracing doesn't half take it out on your legs. It was an enjoyable evening and a chance to catch up on friends and acquaintances again. Ah well on to Cardiff today.

First visit to Somerset for me and I was very impressed with the set up the Hancock family is running there. The track is excellent, a good shape, very well prepared and kept in good condition throughout. I have absolutely no idea what Young51 is going on about. One thing I picked up on was grading and watering during the meeting which was effective and speedy - helps if you've got the right equipment but this is something that other tracks could learn from (Newcastle certainly).

Facilities for supporters are also first rate and my only gripe was the lack of attendants organising getting cars out of the car park as it was chaos if you were parked anywhere near the back. To be fair there was a big crowd there last night.

As for the meeting, the Sheffield pair were outstanding and deserved winners. Ashworth gated well and was quick but Auty was absolutely sensational passing riders almost at will. Very much like watching Rene Bach on a good night at Newcastle. It's very pleasing to see such a talented young Brit but now is the time for someone to start working with this kid as if he is going to make an impact on the world stage he MUST improve his gating. Surely a Major or even someone like Kelvin Tatum should be teaching this lad how to gate. If he can overcome that the sky is the limit. He is very like Rene Bach, different styles but both poor out of the gate and both fantastic to watch. It will be very interesting to see how they both progress over the next few years as it in many ways will be comparing the Danish and English systems.

Birmingham were good as expected and unlucky in the semi-final although Auty was so good I suspect he would have found a way passed them anyway. Most of the other teams did well, with Josh Grajczonek surprising me and Chris Neath also worth mentioning after a good display. Gary Havelock should be regretting his decision to pull out as Sanchez rode very well but Wilson was poor. Redcar might have qualified had Havelock been riding. Edinburgh were absolutely dreadful with Wolbert arriving late and not at the races and Fisher woeful. Their fans were not happy.

Great start for the Diamonds but the key moment was Kenni's engine failure when comfortably third in heat 7. Lemo was squeezed out in a tough first bend against Somerset and that was that, although had Doolan held off Parker for one final bend we would still have qualified but no doubt that the best team won on the night.

Edited by NJC71