British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Swc Event 2, King's Lynn, 26/7

Comparing this season to last doesn't really work. This season's Australian team were without their top two riders, while last season the Poles were also kicking around, not a weak Swedish side. Credit to the British team for beating their opponents, but their opponents were uniformly weak. Add Crump and Adams to the Australian side, together with the Polish team that trounced everyone on Sunday and you get a very different story. This is not the time to be papering over the cracks and pretending everything is suddenly right with the speedway world, lest Saturday brings an awful encounter with reality. Remember how everyone exalted at Britain's Coventry showing in 2007? A Nicholls maximum and Harris not far behind him? Where did that lead to at Leszno?

Sorry, have to butt in here : the Aussie team on the night were the best available. As much as I like and support Crumpie and Adams, it is really time that the younger riders have a turn, or you find that you will be in the same position as other sports: a bloody big hole in the team selection for several years and a huge drop in the teams ratings.

The Aussie team did pretty well, I thought. It was just that on the night, the Brits were better - but can that form be guaranteed on Saturday?? Let's face it, how many times have you seen Nicholls fall flat on his face (sometimes literally) when he has needed to go well??? I reckon that tomorrow night they will have regrouped and may well surprise you. Don't write them off yet.

And for those that may think I am a "turncoat " for not supporting the Brits, can I just say that Australia used to be my home for a while, my son has the heritage that his great uncle was one of the first riders to come over with Hoskins and my late father in law used to run a track in Victoria. So if that does not qualify me to support the Aussies......

Blimey - not been on here since last night and its exploded.

I made a promise that I wont get involved on the forum about this incident so I wont. But can I PLEASE ask both groups to call it a day, draw a line under this incident and move on.

I know that, that is was Mrs Schlein would like to happen. PLEASE

Maybe, if people have finished discussing the actual meeting it could be closed (to save those alcohol driven re-buttles) and we move forward to the race off and final.

GO TEAM GB icon_smile_wink.gif

Not unfathomable at all, the youngsters were picked for the good of the future. A plan which going by the averages of Kennett, Bridger and to a lesser extent King appears to have failed badly.

Here is the situation though....Nicholls had a higher average than Kennett, Bridger and King in July 2009. What has changed? Rob Lyon´s selection policy. He wants more experience this year. I could have told him that last year, and we would have been in the final.

I agree with Steve's post. I want Team GB to win, and Rob Lyon to collect his plaudits, but PLEASE, not after one meeting with the caveats that others have observed here (weakened Aus, Swe and home track). The riders were the most important aspect of the meeting on Monday and deserve the honours. Yes, Lyon picked them, but has only just got round to picking Nicholls. It ain´t hard is it!

my pictures from the practise HERE

Unfortunately, fans do cheer when riders fall...fans get passionate about the racing and want their team to win...It doesn't mean you hope the rider is hurt in any way....it also doesn't mean I condone it, I DONT! But it happens all the time at every race track....its part of speedway...it always has been and always will unfortunately....

I beg to differ, mate. I've never seen or heard it happen at any track I've attended Down Under, and I trust I never will. Maybe its because we mainly have individual meetings, I don't know, although I don't recall it from the old Tests and Allstars series either.

I beg to differ, mate. I've never seen or heard it happen at any track I've attended Down Under, and I trust I never will. Maybe its because we mainly have individual meetings, I don't know, although I don't recall it from the old Tests and Allstars series either.

Well I'm very pleased to hear that BigFatDave...a pity the mentality of some supporters at the tracks I've attended isn't the same as the Aussies. I'm not saying it happens at every meeting, but usually when the score is close and points are crucial....an opposing rider falls and certain supporters will cheer I'm afraid. I hate it!

I'd love to know where these people usually watch their speedway!!... I'm on the edge of my seat here

There are just some people that nothing is good enough for them Shadders.

That PL rider in the Swedish team who rides KL weekly really put the woolies up the other guys didn't he?

There was no Swedish PL rider at the SWC. See you don't know everything Mr Know it all ...NOT.

Anyway to the meeting itself.

King's Lynn did themselves and the SWC proud. The presentation was good, the music was brilliant, the viewing excellent, the facilities good, the track produced some brilliant racing and last but not least the crowd produced an awesome atmosphere :approve: and I lost my voice shouting on TEAM GB :approve:

Well done to all concerned.

King's Lynn did themselves and the SWC proud. The presentation was good, the music was brilliant, the viewing excellent, the facilities good, the track produced some brilliant racing and last but not least the crowd produced an awesome atmosphere :approve: and I lost my voice shouting on TEAM GB :approve:

Well done to all concerned.

Totally agree :approve:

I'm not saying it happens at every meeting, but usually when the score is close and points are crucial....an opposing rider falls and certain supporters will cheer I'm afraid. I hate it!

Everyone is getting carried away surely, if you're following a race closely and an opposition rider is close to beating your home rider and then he makes a mistake and falls it's just natural to give a bit of a cheer, it doesn't mean you are hoping he's hurt himself it's because your home team have the advantage/the opposition has failed in their attempt to beat your home rider. Simply as that in my mind.

Everyone is getting carried away surely, if you're following a race closely and an opposition rider is close to beating your home rider and then he makes a mistake and falls it's just natural to give a bit of a cheer, it doesn't mean you are hoping he's hurt himself it's because your home team have the advantage/the opposition has failed in their attempt to beat your home rider. Simply as that in my mind.

Totally agree with this, its almost a natural reaction to initially cheer the advantage to your team, even as you obviously hope no one gets hurt.

Totally agree with this, its almost a natural reaction to initially cheer the advantage to your team, even as you obviously hope no one gets hurt.

Indeed that is true, but still disrespectful when a rider has fallen...can understand if its due to an engine failure but not when a rider could be lying injured on the track!

No one can deny that this was the better of the 3 meetings so far. King's Lynn have done Britain proud, the fans that flocked to the stadium have done Britain proud & most of all there are 5 guys in red, white & blue that have done Britain proud.

We're in the final, savour it & let's hope those 5 boys can make us proud once again.

Come on Boys

I say it as I see it. I don't personally attack anyone or am abusive. It's a shame you can't argue your point to me without name calling.

It must have been a different Steve Shovlar in the Poole v Wolves (EL B 01/07/2009) thread then.