British Speedway Forum

DOOLAN BACK TO DEFEND HIS TITLE

The 2009 Welsh Open Champion Kevin Doolan of Kings Lynn and Australia has accepted an invitation to defend his title on Sunday July 11th at Newport Speedway. Doolan won both the Prince of Wales Trophy and the Welsh Open Championship at the Queensway Meadows circuit last season and must be fancied to make the Grand Final again once the initial 20 heats of racing are complete.

He will face a competitive field with the news that Jason Doyle of the Poole Pirates and Australia will also be taking part. They join those who have previously been confirmed in the form of David Howe of Scunthorpe and Great Britain, Ryan Fisher of Edinburgh and America, Cory Gathercole of Somerset and Australia, Ty Proctor of Wolverhampton and Australia, Justin Sedgmen of Birmingham and Australia and Chris Slabon of Poland.

The Newport Wasps already nominated are Leigh Lanham, Kyle Legault and Craig Watson.

The event will be staged with a 1pm start and is the climax of a busy weekend for the sport in South Wales. On the Friday evening of July 9th the Newport Hornets will race the Weymouth Wildcats in a Knock Out Cup fixture with a 7pm start. On the Saturday evening of July 10th the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff is the venue for the British Grand Prix round of the World Speedway Championship.

This forthcoming weekend the Newport Wasps entertain the Edinburgh Monarchs on Sunday July 4th with tapes up at 2.30pm. Ryan Fisher is the number one rider for the Scottish visitors which gives him an excellent foundation of experience for the Welsh Open a week later

Can't see anything in todays programme.

Full line-up will be announced later today.

Great weekend of speedway in South Wales ---Hornets v Weymouth on Friday night 7pm (with a late bar), GP Saturday then the Welsh Open at 1pm Sunday

Great weekend of speedway in South Wales ---Hornets v Weymouth on Friday night 7pm (with a late bar), GP Saturday then the Welsh Open at 1pm Sunday

Will look forward to the full lineup Laurence, might there be a sniff of Robin Aspegren in the lineup after his hot QM debut yesterday?

Also, and I know it's an old record now but we haven't really had any official comment or real explanation about this...........what is/are the reason(s) for NOT running the Glasgow match on the Saturday morning before the GP?

We have read all the positives, what are the negatives and why isn't it happening?

A great weekend could have been turned into a fantastic weekend IMHO and I see this as a missed opportunity.

You're making me homesick!

how can anyone be homesick for imo easily the worst prepared track in the pl...perhaps the likes of valentino rossi and casey stoner should be invited...their tarmac tyres would be far more suited to the m4 s nearest rival :wink:

With his "leg down" style I am sure that The Doctor would not disgrace himself on a speedway track.

There would be a bumper crowd to see him ride.

Edited by Old Saint

how can anyone be homesick for imo easily the worst prepared track in the pl...perhaps the likes of valentino rossi and casey stoner should be invited...their tarmac tyres would be far more suited to the m4 s nearest rival :wink:

I'm from Newport. Why shouldn't I be homesick?

Casey's ridden Speedway bikes.

... and it's even better if you go to the Pairs on the Friday.. :approve:

... and it's even better if you go to the Pairs on the Friday.. :approve:

That's not in South Wales though :lol::wink:

Ben Wilson and Edward Kennett are added to the line up.

Ben Wilson and Edward Kennett are added to the line up.

Thought the full line up was going to be announced?

Sorry nothing to do with me I just had a phone call to say that they have another two riders added to the line up. Kennett and Wilson.

Sorry nothing to do with me I just had a phone call to say that they have another two riders added to the line up. Kennett and Wilson.

Ok, no prob :) just curious as to why only two was announced :unsure:

apologies that full line-up not yet released but we are awaiting confirmation of one rider in particular before finalising the full 16 --but so far looks a good solid line-up.

As for comments about the suggestions of running on GP morning there are several reasons this did not happen. On purely financial grounds could fans afford Friday night, Sat morning, GP Sat night and Welsh Open Sunday ??--crowd levels would have been seriously effected so on a commercial basis it was not thought to be viable. Next was the actual track preparation problems made worse by the fact that many of the Newport staff would be involved at Cardiff. Also there was the permission element to be allowed to run . So all in all despite it being a worthwhile suggestion it was a no-go from various angles.

Well I'm off to get a few hours kip before getting back on the phone , finalise the line-up, sort out the draw then get details to our PRO to get the programme and press releases out